Arena Guide Building a 100% Winrate Arena Squad

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Glum, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Glum

Glum Aether

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    The Arena meta has turned itself on its head in the last 2 weeks, and I want to help better inform the community. This guide is focused on removing the RNG from arena and making sure that you are the master of your own fate. With this guide, you can give yourself a team with a 99%+ chance of activating a turn-two BB, as well as maximizing damage output and others.

To start, here is the team I currently use. I haven't lost since using these guides, and I've never ever missed a turn 2 BB.
    • Zurg (breaker) - Amano
    • Kuda (breaker) - Lexidia and Sol Generator
    • Ardin (breaker) - Amano and Sol Generator
    • Mifune (breaker) - Amano and Sol Generator
    • Mifune (breaker) - Amano
    To date, my W/L record is 2950 wins, 51 losses. Since writing this guide in November 2014, using this team, I have lost 3 times. (Edited Feb 28, 2015)

Step 1: Pick Your Units
    BB Types:

In general, pick your units with the following priorities in mind:
    1. Dropchecks on basic attack
    2. High attack
    3. AOE BB
    4. Fast-filling BB
    A good arena team always has at least 4 units that can activate an AOE BB. In general, units with fast-filling BB (like Ophelia, Lira) are not ideal because they do not satisfy the other requirements. A unit with a slower BB fillrate but high dropchecks will be much more effective in helping the whole team fill their gauges.

Dropchecks:
    The term "dropcheck" refers to the maximum number of BC a unit can produce. Any unit with 24 dropchecks or higher is ideal. Arena is all about high dropcheck. (Note: This doesn't mean high hitcount.) To find a unit's dropcheck, go here: http://touchandswipe.github.io/bravefrontier/comparemaxbc#_=_

Typically, the "magic number" of dropchecks for an effective arena team is as follows:
    • With Rin lead: 100 dropchecks minimum
    • With Elza/Zelnite lead: 120 dropchecks minimum
    • With Zergel lead: 130 dropchecks minimum
    • With an ATK lead: 180 dropchecks minimum

Note that Lexida and the Halloween Spheres double a unit's dropcheck. Sol Generators effectively multiply dropchecks by 1.5 also. For my squad I mentioned, here is the math to prove it will fill BB gauges:

• Zurg (breaker) - Amano 22 dropchecks
    • Kuda (breaker) - Lexidia and Sol Generator 90 dropchecks with both spheres
    • Ardin (breaker) - Amano and Sol Generator 36 dropchecks with the Sol Gen
    • Mifune (breaker) - Amano and Sol Generator 24 dropchecks with the Sol Gen
    • Mifune (breaker) - Amano 18 dropchecks
    The total dropchecks in my own team is 190, and it does fill all 5 BB gauges every turn.

Here are the units with 24 or more dropchecks. I've marked the top-tier units with green. They are all okay to use, but try to make sure you have at least 4 units with AOE bb's.
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!

Step 2: Pick Your Leader
    In arena, your first priority is to ensure that all 5 of your units get their BB gauge full. This is extremely easy to do with so many high-class units these days.

Option 1: ATK
    Best choices:
    1. Zurg (100% ATK at max HP)
    2. Ultor (50% ATK/DEF/other goodies)
    3. Any mono/rainbow ATK leader (65% or 50%)
    Most good teams nowadays can get full BB gauges without the need of a BB fill leader. This means taking a 50% ATK leader makes your team so much more deadly. The team I run can get 3 kills on turn #1 almost every game.

Zurg is obviously the best leader currently because you get 100% ATK on the first turn. Most squads running Zurg lead can wipe out 2-5 of the enemy units by the first turn.

Option 2: ATK and BB Filling
    Only choice:
    1. Zergel (40% ATK and BB fill-rate)
    This is not as good as Zurg or Ultor, but it is almost as good as taking Zelnite or Elza. The huge benefit here is that you get the 40% ATK at the small cost of 10% BC filling. Use him if you can't fill BB gauges without some help.

Option 2: BB Filling
    Best choices:
    1. Rin has a 25% increase in BC, which equates to roughly 71% more BC production
    2. Zelnite has an 18% increase in BC/HC, which is roughly a 51% increase in BC and 300%++ increase in HC
    3. Elza has a 50% flat increase in BC usefulness
    Take these if you are having a hard time filling all 5 units' BBs and you don't have Zergel. Filling the gauges is the most important priority.

Step 3: Choose the Order of Attacking
    (thanks to http://www.reddit.com/r/bravefrontier/comments/2ksl5k/team_building_arena/ for the info here)

In practice, this part of the guide is for fine tuning your team. A good team can win almost every game regardless of the arrangement. However, this will optimize your effectiveness, for those of you who care enough to get into this level of fine-tuning.

To see what type of AI your unit is, look it up on http://touchandswipe.github.io/bravefrontier/skillseffectsguideglobal#_=_.

Type 1: 2nd best type

• 60% purely random chance to cast BB
    • If they don't cast BB, 30% chance of attacking the unit with highest ATK
    • This type can go anywhere in the squad. I like to place them after the type 2's
    Type 2: worst type!
    • 60% chance to cast BB if one or more enemies is above half-HP
    • If not, a purely random 20% chance to cast BB
    • This type should always go first. If they are not the first unit, they will probably not cast their BB.
    Type 3: best type
    • 60% purely random chance to cast BB
    • If not, 20% random chance to cast BB on the target with highest ATK
    • If not, 30% chance to atk enemy with lowest HP
    • This type can go anywhere. They are the best type because they have a 68% chance of casting BB.
    Type 4: 2nd-worst type
    • 60% chance to cast BB if if at least one enemy is below half HP
    • If not, 30% random chance to cast BB
    • If not, 70% chance to atk enemy with highest HP
    • If not, 30% chance to atk enemy with lowest HP
    • This type should always go last in the order because chances are the last-attacking unit will probably have half-HP.
    Type 5: Healers/supports
    • Don't ever take units without a damaging BB. There is technically an AI for them, but don't take them.
    Type 6: Risky as hell
    • BB/SBB, 100% if any target is under 25% HP
    • If not, 50% chance to attack target with highest atk
    • This type is with some of the new 7* units (Kira, etc.) and is very risky. If a strong unit like Kira uses his BB, it's game-over... but you have to depend on the enemy not healing above 25% from HC drops. I personally wouldn't rely on these AI types in my own squads.

It should usually go in this order:
    First : Type 2
    Second: Type 1
    Third: Type 3
    Last: Type 4

A good squad is going to emphasize the random chance of BB without any stipulations. You don't want to have a full team of types 2 and 4 because they have strict restrictions on casting a BB. Having one of each isn't bad, but you want your best arena squad to have at least three units from types 1 or 3.

There is a lot of analysis that can go in here for plays and counterplays, but in general as long as you don't have lots of units from types 2 and 4, you are basically guaranteeing a BB. Also, making sure that Type 2 is first and Type 4 is last will help a lot with ensuring BB's.

Step 4: Spheres
    There are only two types of spheres you should try to use in the arena:
    1. Halloween & Lexida. These spheres are OP for the arena. They double your hitcount and they increase your damage by about x1.7. They are statistically the best for a turn-1 kill and for a turn-2 BB. You should use Lexida always (because its damage is unnerfed) and the Halloween spheres as necessary.
    2. Amanohabaken. These spheres are also very strong. A 75% increase to ATK and a 5% increased crit chance helps guarantee a lot of damage on the first turn. They also add a lot of punch to a turn-2 BB, helping ensure that practically any unit's BB will guarantee a win.
    For secondary spheres, I wouldn't focus on Sphere Frogging a unit that you only use in arena. However, many units like Maxwell, Elza, Kuda, and Zelnite are excellent candidates for sphere frogs. If your unit has a second slit, consider the following items:
    1. Sol Generators. These are only good as secondary spheres if you can't guarantee a turn-2 BB.
    2. Havoc Axe/Geldnite Axe. These can help ensure 3 kills on the first turn. However, Sol Generators have priority if you need the extra BC generation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Aeshma-Daeva, Junpei, allelu and 17 others like this.
  2. Joust

Joust Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I made an account on here just to thank you for this Glum. I was beginning to notice the arena specials with lodin lead were not cutting it anymore, especially with the Halloween spheres and Lexida now available. The squad that I am currently working on (with your advice in mind) will look something like this: Maxwell (Geldnite Axe/ not sure), Elza (A) (Lexida/ not sure), Azael (B) lead (Amanohabaken), Hogar (G) (Amanohabaken), and Elza (G) (Hallowed Orb) in the order they would attack in arena. I was reluctant to invest in the Sinister Orb, so I do not have that, but if I did the math correctly, this should generate 181 BC with the right conditions. The past couple of days I was curious as to how much BC would be necessary to fill my current arena team, but found it quite difficult to come up with a number given that a drop check does not always mean a BC will be generated per hit. Thanks again for the great advice, and any input on what would be good secondary spheres for my Maxwell and Elza would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text; I don't know how to break up text as I would have with enter. :p Cheers

BigBullyOrg, Glum and Koshchei like this.
  3. Sultazaken

Sultazaken Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Haile/Michele
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I haven't lost in a long time lol
    Lodin lead-Angel foil
    Elza-lexida
    Zelnite-Angel foil + dragon stud
    Farlon-Angel foil
    Maxwell-Wicked blade
    I always kill 1-3 units and getting two BB gauges filled is bad for me lol, usually all get it, sometimes SBB, and even then lodin or zelnite will get everyone elses BBs up, Maxwell takes no damage cause of wicked blade, and just one units BB kills my opponent.

4. Glum

Glum Aether

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    Thanks for your feedback. It's hard to say a real good number for minimum dropcheck, but 180 is a rough guess. Here's the real way to do it:

(# of dropchecks) x (0.35) x (# of total hits + 100 + # spark hits)/(# of total hits) = # of BC generated.

The important thing here is that 35% is your basic BC generation, and with a Sol Generator it's 50%. Let's assume zero sparks (Hogar and Azael are probably the worst sparkers in the game). Your team (which is identical to mine) without any Sol Generators will get about 64 BC per turn, which is sufficient probably for 3-4 BBs. I'd be curious to see it in practice. With Sol Generators and double-hitcount on your Maxwell and Elza, this gains 8 more BC drops, which could make a big difference.

I'd definitely give Maxwell your Hallowed Orb/Sol Generator and Elza the Lexida/Sol Generator combination. It reduces Maxwell's base damage, but it might be necessary to maintain full BB gauges. If you find that you get full BB, maybe replace Maxwell's Sol Generator with the Geldnite Axe and try. If you still get full BB's, then replace both Sol Generators with Axes.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Joust likes this.
  5. Glum

Glum Aether

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    Halloween spheres are a larger increase in basic attack damage than Amano or Angelic Foil. You should equip them if you have them.

6. Sultazaken

Sultazaken Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Haile/Michele
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Eh I only have the hallowed skull and I don't really have a problem with normal damage, the foils affect my BB damage as well so I only need one to tick and I'm good xD

7. Joust

Joust Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Interesting. Thanks for the input. When I have maxed all the units, I will give it a go. Thanks for a very useful post.

Koshchei likes this.
  8. SusannoX

SusannoX Gladiator

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Kagusutchi, Gun Goddess Srinath, Holy Arms Douglas sbb2 and Sacred Flame Lava sbb1
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    [​IMG]
    Maxwell lexida
    Zelnite Bathoota and havoc axe
    Reeze Angelic Foil
    Elza Havoc Axe
    Michelle Hallowed Skull

9. Glum

Glum Aether

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    Maxwell should never go last. She's type 2.

Evazinz likes this.
  10. Jern

Jern

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    lodin
    I'm curious as to why people aren't abusing Melchio's SBB with Maxwell's LS.
    Say you have two Melchios with Halloween spheres. They're producing 78 drop checks each.
    Their SBB take 25 to activate (since they start at 5, with their BB gauge half full).
    It's likely that on round 2 their SBBs will trigger and deal multi-elemental damage that is significantly buffed due to Maxwell's LS.
    Am I missing something or is this just something people aren't aware of?
    Is the only reason not to use Melchio because he is an "outclassed" unit? With elemental weakness damage increased it probably doesn't matter that his attack stat is around 17K with Lord typing...

11. Glum

Glum Aether

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    It's overkill. Why use Melchio's SBB (25 BC) when you can secure a victory with any other unit with 8 BC? The benefit is not outweighing the costs. Also getting 25 BC without an Ares LS is going to be hard. Also, Melchio has relatively low ATK compared to the "god-tier" arena units like Hogar (2.4k ATK as breaker) and Elza (2.3k ATK as breaker). You want to maximize ATK to guarantee 2 or more kills on the first turn. Taking units with 1.8k base ATK won't result in these guaranteed kills.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  12. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Really strong guide @Glum, thanks for sharing.

MrJiff and Koshchei like this.
  13. gain

gain Ascended

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell, Zelnite, Darvanshel
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    My breaker Azael is not that bad after all

14. Benvolio

Benvolio Barrager

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    Good guide, well done. A couple comments:

I've found that using all the double attack spheres can be overkill and counterproductive when compared to the amano, for a few reasons 1) the aegis shields can absorb a lot of the double hits with ease, sucking up a lot of potential damage and resulting in less turn one kills, and 2) the overkill hits from amano's produce BC at a higher rate, balancing out the total BC to a level (in my experience) that still easily fills 5 bb gauges. Every team will vary so I recommend people test their particular set up to find the minimum number of double hitting spheres necessary to regularly fill five 5 bb guages. I found one Halloween sphere to be all I needed with my current squad.

The primary goal in turn one is to fill all 5 bb gauges, but a close second is to kill as many enemy characters as possible. It's not uncommon for me to only kill 2 characters in round one, only to have the other guy come back and wipe out 2 of my guys with amano's that crit, leaving me with a mathematically reduced chance of firing off a turn two bb. It's not unheard of to have 3 of my characters killed in round 1 if I leave all five of his alive. Kill or be killed, meaning Amano's should be used in place of double hitting spheres as much as you can get away with it.

You listed type 2 as the worst type. I've found them to be quite reliable as a group as long as your characters are hard hitting, and would not necessarily avoid them just for the sake of diversity. Theoretically, depending on your team, building an entire squad out of type 2's could be quite effective. You really only need one bb to fire off, and the odds of every enemy character being below 50% hp on round two seems rather remote. Diversity can be good, but it's importance shouldn't be overblown. What's more important is for people to analyze the current squad they have and arrange them into the best order possible based on their AI types.

Eleiryn, Theo, Joust and 3 others like this.
  15. makki

makki Suppressor

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Creator Maxwell
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Is an Oracle Hogar still viable to use in Arena? Or should I just use another Azael or another Elza? Thanks!

16. Leap

Leap Tactician

Cluless on Step 3. Can you please explain a little more clearly in laymen terms how this attack order works? After looking at both links I still don't get it. Maybe a clear cut example of how it works on your team? I'm sorry, you probably know from the past helping me with crit questions that i'm dumb lol....

17. LordSpectreX

LordSpectreX

Server:
    European
    Leader:
    Fire Knight Lava
    So what's the general feeling towards Mitigation units like Darvanshel in Arena, I imagine the way with what this meta seems to be accomplishing, Mitigation units wouldn't be very good.

18. Joust

Joust Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Since my last post, I have created a team that utilizes alot of the points discussed. I have been finding success with Lodin (Lead) (Amanohabaken), Farlon (Amanohabaken), Elza (Geldnite Axe, Lexida), Maxwell (Sol Creator/Hallowed Skull), and Dilma (Death Axe). Dilma gets the Death Axe because natural crit (10%) + the 50% crit rate boost gives him a decent chance at critting an opponent down on the first turn, not to mention if he manages to fill his SBB up (40 BC) which is a fairly easy task with Maxwell's Sol Creator/Hallowed Skull combo, his buffed crit rate with full HP hits the crit cap (10%+20% crit rate SBB buff+ 50% Death Axe). I am kind of torn between giving Dilma an Amanohabaken, or keeping him with the Death axe. I gave Elza the Geldnite Axe, because I generated enough BC in the first turn to fill her BB, sometimes SBB up, and could not think of a better sphere to pair with Lexida given Lexida is classified as a stat-boosting sphere. Farlon's 24 BC dropcheck doesn't hurt things either. Lodin, if he uses his BB, typically tops off either the SBB of Dilma, Elza or both, which is kind of overkill but nice when it happens. It may not be my "This is it" arena team, but considering what I have maxed, it has exceeded my initial expectations. I believe my team isn't a "100% winrate" team, but it is more reliable than my "Lodin + 4 arena specials" team, due to decent fill rate, BC generation and better first turn damage potential than the former. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  19. Leap

Leap Tactician

It's a good team but I highly doubt even maxed out that Farlon's bb will always kill most teams. I can survive a Farlon BB no problem. THe rest though are strong enough...

20. Glum

Glum Aether

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    You've made some good points, but I disagree the most with Halloween being worse than Amano. With the team I take, I recently switched Maxwell's H'ween sphere to an Amano (actually, I forgot to change it back after doing the Reed dungeon). For the first time in like 30 matches, I didn't fill a unit's BB. Actually, I didn't fill three units' BBs. I used all 3 spheres without realizing it, and in all 3 matches I didn't get 5 full BB's. Not filling every BB is taking a lot of your odds out of the equation. Yes, Aegis blocks more damage from H'ween, but that's only 1 unit and not every defensive squad runs Aegis anymore. Amano's crit isn't specifically known, but even if it was 20% that's still not enough to hang my hat on. I want the full BB gauge (meaning 60% chance of winning) instead of a 20% chance of critting, and then a pretty decent chance of wasting the crit on a unit that's already half health. Lastly, H'ween spheres is clearly the best option if you rely on them to use a +ATK% leader. The +50% ATK is way more of a big deal than Amano's damage lead over H'ween (if any).

Also, double hits end up being in practice a 75% increase in damage, or at least so I've seen on Reddit. This is most certainly a multiplicative increase, so it's actually an overall increase in damage of over 2.625. (1.5x from leader skill on basic attacks, multiplied by 1.75). Amanohabaken is only 1.75+1.5=2.25. With a 20% crit chance factored in, the theoretical damage from Amano with a 50% lead is 2.475.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014