Ciara Batch Review

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Eleiryn, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Brought to you by the "still hasn't done Avant batch review" foundation

Disclaimer: it is possible that info may be changed in the 12 ish hours until release, will edit as necessary

Thanks to xjewels on plebbit for sharing the datamined info on Ciara/Semira

BUT FUCK ALL THAT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE BEST MONSTERGIRL WAIFU YET, WE MGQ NAO

[​IMG]

Lord stats: 6515 (+1000) 2675 (+600) 2125 (+300) 1895 (+400)
    Hits: 12 / 2 DC (24 total)
    Cost: 40
    • LS: 120% boost to Atk of Fire, Water, Earth, Thunder types, boosts elemental damage (+100% for all elements) & boosts BB Atk (+100%
    • ES: Absorbs HP when attacking (100%, drain 5-10% damage) & adds Def ignore effect to BB/SBB for 2 turns
    • BB: 15 combo powerful Fire, Dark attack on all foes (300%) & boosts Atk (115%) for 3 turns (BC cost: 24 // Max BC gen: 15)
    • SBB: 18 combo powerful Fire, Dark attack on all foes (500%), boosts Atk (140%) for 3 turns & adds Fire, Water, Earth, Thunder elements to attack for 2 turns (BC cost: 22 // Max BC gen: 18)
    • UBB: 21 combo powerful Fire, Dark attack on all foes (1200%), boosts Atk (250%) for 3 turns & boosts BB Atk (500%) for 2 turns (BC cost: 20 // Max BC gen: 21)
    Arena: Type 2

Overview: Holy shit she got fuckin fierce. Also, she's about to dynamic entry all over your face, going by the outstretched leg and the GET REKT NERD vibe she got going on.

Anyways, her stats are weird enough to be worth noting, a little unusual for a 7*; attack is way above average at almost 3300 Lord attack, but in return her defense is way below average at only a little over 2400. Rec is pretty meh at only 2300ish too, but that's not the end of the world or anything. Definitely an offensive spread; sitting ~400-600 defense below most 42 cost units does mean she's gonna be a touch squishy, but it's not the end of the world, especially with Tridonger adding enough free HP to sort things out reasonably well.

LS is pretty interesting; solid generic offense LS for the four base elements, pretty much on par with Hadaron/Toutetsu for round 1 stuff, but the extra BB attack can really help in Challenge Arena. Otherwise it's a pretty strictly terrible LS for general use like raids and will never be used outside of arena/CA. The elemental damage thing sounds cool, and it's nice when it happens, but it will only be useful occasionally in arena/CA to ensure oneshots and nothing else.

SBB is where Ciara finally moves beyond her eternal "lol arena" niche status, sporting Quaidbow elemental retyping as well as a generically competitive 140% attack buff... and defense ignore from her ES, I guess, 'cuz you know everyone is just desperate for more of that. Sarcasm aside, that IS actually a good thing, it'll add a decent chunk of points in FG and in some FH end farming floors from being able to def ignore the metal units, but otherwise meh. That said, mixing Quaid and Michele into one horrific monstrosity, a veritable Frankenstein's Monster of buffs, gives her a MASSIVE role outside of that tiny def ignore niche - Quaid alone was already coming back into favor as Avant batch attempted to dethrone Griff batch, and Ciara is pretty much just Quaid with an attack buff, so... yeah. Safe to say she's gonna feature pretty prominently as the eternal war of whether JP or GL can make more bullshit units rages on. Finally, it's worth noting that her SBB is actually pretty damn cheap at 44 cost, which is cool.

Oh yeah and I don't usually talk about UBBs since most are niche at best, but Ciara actually has a very useful one. In some raids (Balmedia, RC5Q10, etc) you don't really want the crit damage buff of say Zedus or Michele and may not care about UBbs from your other units (let's be real here, Gazia UBB kinda sucks against non-dark stuff), whereas Ciara's UBB is just a nice generic chunk of damage that is never not good. Great for stuff like Arkem or Estoreit, where you may want damage UBB over survivability UBB, but don't want to burn one with a significant crit damage buff.

Usage
    Arena

24DCs on basic attack is... questionable. Like... REALLY questionable. I've been considering 30-35 as mediocre and she's way below that. Still, great LS, good BB (fire/dark unresistable, +115% attack is nice, unusually high 300% base mod + atk buff = 415% combined mod to autowipe anything). Good lead, meh to terrible sub. Oh yeah and she has 3300 attack so that helps.

Challenge Arena
    Since BB damage matters so much here and strong/generic use damage leads are even more valuable, Ciara shines pretty well here as long as she has good BB support. Her LS deserves special note here given that it is effectively a 220% attack boost to team on BB rounds - when your BBs are hitting for +220% damage even before her 110-140% attack buff, that's getting into the range of reliable oneshots from each BB/SBB you fire off. She may not be as scary as a Hadaron with a no-BB random rule, but in a BB round, Ciara is gonna be pretty scary.

Raid
    Competitive attack buff, Quaidbow retyping, 3300+ attack, and she even does dark element herself naturally on top of the four base elements? Yeah... I think we can force ourselves to use her in our teams. Seriously though, Ciara pretty much shits on Quaid and most other element buffers for general use on account of adding everything but L/D (which Kafka and Krantz exist for anyways) solely from the elements+attack stat, and adding in her attack buff puts her head and shoulders above any competition. SITUATIONALLY other units will potentially be able to match her, ex. Michele is still better if you're just hitting Estoreit+Sipla while someone else kills Arkem, but for general use or if you want all the elements and to just use Hadaron to single down specific stuff, Ciara is currently pretty much unmatched - and makes a VERY strong argument for Avant batch on top of that. Rip in fucking pizza Roa, Chromedome there is now pretty much just outright better than you.

Trials
    Well... she's situationally useful. A lot of trials are light or dark heavy and Ciara doesn't exactly bring a lot of utility to the table, but she does bring damage, so against fights with multiple targets, multiple elements, and a need for damage, she can do you good.

Frontier...
    Mid: Godlike. Quad-element typing and an attack buff, along with her attack stat, makes Ciara an automatic shoe-in, with Diana or Elaina support.
    Terminus (3TKO): does too much damage. Shida will be better.
    Gate: Godlike. She's literally just a better Quaid here, and lets you drop Michele or Ark for better units.

Synergies
    • Oh if only there was some common, meta as fuck unit that had some sort of attack to defense conversion, who would really enjoy a huge boost to their effectiveness...
    • If you answered Gazia or Melchio, you get full credit.
    • L/D retypers (6* Grah, Krantz, Kafka, even Rinon, Melchio as well) all like having the other elements sorted for them
    • In general, Ciara works well in Tridon/Gazia flavored teams, and less so in Dolk/Nadore flavored setups with clashing attack buffs, though her elements leave her useful pretty much anywhere regardless of attack buff overlap
    Future Prospects
    Ciara has WONDERFUL synergy with Avant batch in general, especially Chrom, who she allows to finally blatantly surpass Roa in almost all practical situations. She also shines alongside Avant, since they have very little overlap aside from the attack buff on his BB. Quite frankly, I would go so far as to say that she is probably the defining unit to minimize the one major advantage Griff batch had over Avant and co, at least for those who have the opportunity to choose - those of us running on legacy 7*s and pre-Griff batch units can safely ignore that scuffle and just take solace in knowing we have a great Quaid-esque unit with a nice suite of offensive buffs.

Overall
    Dominantly powerful but a little offensively single-tracked, Ciara brings zero utility and mediocre BC gen to the table in return for easy-to-fit offense that most teams can make great use of. She's probably one of the more longer-term useful units we'll get for a while and an absolute godsend to people still limping along with Aneil or Fiora batch element buffs.

[​IMG]

Lord stats: 6650 (+1000) 2230 (+600) 2095 (+300) 2485 (+400)
    Hits: 9 / 3 DC (27 total)
    Cost: 40
    • LS: 100% boost to Atk of Light, Dark types, negates all status ailments & boosts damage against status afflicted foes (+25%)
    • ES: Hugely boosts damage against status afflicted foes (+100%) & adds status ailment removal effect to BB/SBB
    • BB: 12 combo powerful (280%) Dark attack on all foes, chance of inflicting Poison, Paralysis, Curse, Weak (75%) & negates all status ailments for 3 turns (BC cost: 24 // Max BC gen: 12)
    • SBB: 15 combo powerful Dark attack on all foes (480%), chance of inflicting Poison, Paralysis, Curse, Weak (80%), negates all status ailments & greatly boosts BC, HC drop rate (+35%, +35%) for 3 turns (BC cost: 20 // Max BC gen: 15)
    • UBB: 17 combo powerful Dark attack on all foes (1000%), adds all status ailments to attack (40% infliction) for 3 turns & slightly boosts OD gauge (+25.0??) (BC cost: 20 // Max BC gen: 17)
    Arena: Type 2

Overview: Holy SHIT that is some of the most badass art I've ever seen in this game, strong contender for some of the best art to ever hit BF in general on any server IMO. Gumi aint fucking around anymore, not when they can make some weird pumpkin-flavored jester persona and a chick wearing the skankiest halloween costume she could find look like bona fide badasses. Queen bitch is back, and Lilly Matah is crying from on top of her throne (of suck) at being replaced so thoroughly.

Unfortunately Semira doesn't quite live up to her looks stat wise, sporting what are quite frankly some of the most disappointing 7* unit stats to be found. While pretty solid offensive imp caps do mean she can eventually limp up to 2800 attack, her mediocre <2400 attack is less than ideal for difficult content. Her HP is high enough to be workable and it's not like she's gonna die in one hit if a RC2 boss looks at her funny, but as with Ciara, it's definitely worth looking into defensive typings if at all possible. Unlike Ciara you don't really bring her for the damage anyways, so Guardian is definitely her second best typing.

SBB is basically her old one with a bunch of shiny new shit; immunity (+cleanse from ES) and absolute top tier BC/HC buffs make Semira a LOT less of a niche shitter than she used to be, and the renewed usefulness of curse/paralyze/poison (hello Arkem/Estoreit and some of the coming RC6 bosses) means her ailments are a lot more useful than they were back in say RC3 where they were a nice bonus if you had 'em but pretty irrelevant for most stuff. Even if you're sporting Tridon/Dolk for their BC/HC buffs, Semira still brings a lot to the table buff wise and even manages to beat 'em in actual BC/HC buff power to boot. Just be aware that she does not have hard immunity from ES, so you'll need to get it from spheres to use her as sole immunity+cleanse option.

Usage
    Arena

27DCs, mediocre attack for an arena unit, nothing particularly special for a BB - frankly speaking Semira is just a bad arena unit.

Challenge Arena
    ...FORTUNATELY THERE'S A MODE WHERE BBS DON'T AUTOMATICALLY KILL EVERYTHING, AILMENTS CAN FUCK YOU OVER, AND IMMUNITY CAN BE USEFUL! So yeah, every once in a while a Semira is going to make your life a living hell, and offensively she can neuter any team she BBs on with near-guaranteed curse/paralysis. Real dawg talk she's not liable to be, like, Farlon tier awesome here, but she's very solid.

Raid
    Look, if you need me to explain why immunity+cleanse, extremely reliable curse/paralyze/poison, a huge BC/HC buff, and LOOKING FUCKING AWESOME might be good in a mode where you basically autolose if you don't have immunity, can paralyze/curse lock some of the hardest bosses and poison valuable body parts, and BC/HC resistance is common so you want strong buffs... I won't finish that thought, but you can imagine what would be said if I did actually say it. It'd probably be something like a very disappointed mother staring down tenderly at her drooling puppy as it gleefully rolled around in a puddle of its own feces, every time it tried to bark its mouth filling with the pungent poo, all atop her hopes and dreams.

Trials
    Against bosses you can ailment lock, Semira is the GOAT. Against bosses you can't ailment lock, Semira is... decent, immunity+cleanse+BC/HC, but honestly you can generally do better. Situational pick, very good within her niche, not always useful.

Frontier...
    Mid: pretty bad frankly. She doesn't do wonderful damage, her ailments are useless here, and you don't really on BC/HC buffs for this anyways
    Terminus 3TKO: meh. Terrible DCs, useful ailments but probably does too much damage for 3TKO, doesn't do enough damage to really be spectacular for the final turn either.
    Gate: GREAT for clearing; ailments absolutely destroy a lot of 24-30. Terrible for farming; shit DCs, meh damage, useless ailments. Feeva or bust.

Future Prospects
    Well, she doesn't realllllllly clash that hard for the most part and offers a very valuable niche from hard-chance ailment infliction instead of that buff-debuff chance bullshit, so it's likely she'll stay useful for a while. The BC/HC buff and immunity overlap will always be a minor issue and when the time comes that we have REALLY good immunity unit or BC/HC buffers that you want to use over her, she'll probably flatline a bit outside her niche. Lucius lead for example removes everything but the ailments from her, so she doesn't work so well in his variety of team where Kafka would work better, but in general her ailment niche leaves her solid for now.

Overall
    Tied with Kafka for best overall ailment infliction in the game currently, with a fair bit of utility that Kafka lacks outside of that niche; Semira is a GREAT unit now and will remain so for the foreseeable future, though several existing and upcoming units clash with her to varying degrees so long-term she'll probably be relegated to ailment infliction only as a 'real' role.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. Zaegar

Zaegar Suppressor

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    245xx55135
    Leader:
    Rain/ Zelnite / Ark
    Level:
    So far yet so near
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FFXIV-heavensward - 7K
    1st to comment?
    Isn't ciara OP??

3. Frank_man

Frank_man Darkwalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya, Nyami
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Dynamic Entry! lol Good write ups on these units. Super glad I have a guardian Ciara/anima Semira. Very much looking forward to curbstomping CA and FH Mid with these units (though obviously I meant only Ciara for FH Mid). Very good analysis and funny. Jester persona FTW!

Monado likes this.
  4. Yarwood

Yarwood Archgod

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zelnite, Galtier, ??? (Zelnite #2 coming soon)
    Level:
    4XX
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    games with your heart
    Holy crap I love these reviews, super helpful. I can see Semira becoming very popular, but I'm disappointed Ciara isn't as OP was she was when she first came out. At least I can get the Def Ignore on both BB and SBB now, and the element buff is exactly what I need since I never got Quaid.

5. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    OP? Idk. Good? Hell yeah. If you compare her to something like release Avant/Chrom/Dolk or god forbid the Griff batch and where they sit on JP without global exclusives to rival them, I'd say she's a fair chunk weaker, she just has a pretty unique niche so she'll be easy to fit into teams.

Compared to last halloween you mean? I'd say this Ciara is better honestly, element buffs are a huge deal and she never really shined as an attack buffer so she was relegated to OK arena lead very quickly, and then completely forgotten. Her new version will stay relevant for a long time, even if a strictly better element buffer a la 7* Shida potentially hits tomorrow, simply because she'll work well with most teams and be excellent even if minor upgrades to her exist.

6. Draigexz

Draigexz Twilight

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    I give up
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Saint Row 4, just cause 2, ESV, D3
    I used to remember 6* ciara buff only applies when the atk animation is over or have that be change?

7. Frank_man

Frank_man Darkwalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya, Nyami
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Not gonna lie, when I saw this thread the first thing I thought was, "well she just plain skipped Avant" and then I read the first line of your post... lol too funny.

Eleiryn likes this.
  8. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    That was changed a few months ago.

RIGHT NOW 7* Ciara has the same issue, but the last few batches of global exclusives have all had the exact same issue and gotten patched to fix it before or shortly after release, so I would expect 7* Ciara to work fine after release at worst.

Draigexz likes this.
  9. MmerkK412

MmerkK412 Gleaming God

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Something
    Level:
    360+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Damn I must have been sleeping through alot today. I still have to Check nico nico thread to see what's going on there.

Semira's Art definately gets my vote for best upgrade for a 7*. Kinda weird she went status cleanse and bc/hc buffer, but it's cool I guess. Wish she would have had L/D retyping to complete the set tho.

Can't wait to slot Ciara into my FG farming team, she'll definately be a good replacement for Quaid.

Thanks again for another great review (y)

Frank_man likes this.
  10. HolyThunderOfAtharva

HolyThunderOfAtharva Warlord

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Fulgur Halcyon Eze
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Dynasty Warriors 8, BF Global, FFRK, DW GUNDAM 3
    Sucks that I only have 1/2 of this batch. HOLD ON SEMIRA, THE ROARING THUNDER IS SUMMONING FOR YOU!!!

11. RainyRai

RainyRai Seraphim

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Underworld Guardian Sparky
    Level:
    higher then a mountain that smokes weed
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    The piano
    I go to school, Ciara/Semira info is out and they're both amazing.

What's next, Zelnite/Elza/Shida art is out?

12. Frank_man

Frank_man Darkwalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya, Nyami
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Actually.....check the Nico thread..unless that was your joke lol.

13. HolyThunderOfAtharva

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Fulgur Halcyon Eze
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    perhaps you would like to go check out the Nico Nico thread?

14. MmerkK412

MmerkK412 Gleaming God

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Something
    Level:
    360+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Looks like I'll be spending atleast 24k points on legend stones tomorrow :(

15. Frank_man

Frank_man Darkwalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya, Nyami
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I'm praying Semira/Ciara don't need them lol. Already gonna evo Farlon. On the fence with Alyut though lol.

16. HolyThunderOfAtharva

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Fulgur Halcyon Eze
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Do these guys need legend stones? I mean, SBS are Global Exclusive and RS units, but they didn't need a legend stone. But of course correct me if I'm wrong.

17. MmerkK412

MmerkK412 Gleaming God

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Something
    Level:
    360+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Same here with Alyut, not too sure what to do on that 1.

Idk what they will require tbh. I hope not or I'll be dropping half of my collected points on them and Farlon.

18. Frank_man

Frank_man Darkwalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya, Nyami
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Honestly, I imagine it is going to be 2 bulbs (light,dark for semira, fire/dark for Ciara), 1 totem of their nat element + 1 mirale + 1 machine totem. The totems and bulbs things can be interchanged I think really. Either 2 bulbs and 1 totem or 2 totems and 1 bulb. I really don't think they will require stones if the SBS didn't, but we'll see.

19. Daciks

Daciks Bia

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Pumberkiny-Available upon request
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Touhou, Brave Frontier
    Ele=slacker, want to see her talk about how badly Avant's batch borked stuff.

I'm guessing Semira lowers the value of Andaria though if you need status ailments though, can run a Bestie for emergency fill but I guess 2 cleansers does clash that badly. Hadaron's bb also probably lowered in value but meh, guess that could be said if you are running Kafka. That said, it seems like Kafka+Ciara is a very strong pair if you are using Gazia and Tridon and maybe Andaria for cleanse, I think Semira pulls ahead without Tridon and you can use a different unit over Andaria (i.e. Libera if you don't mind slight elemental/drop rate clash or Bestie even though she smells bad). With Ciara, would you prefer Krantz or Kafka if you are using Gazia and Semira?

Rereading this makes me slightly depressed because of the awful grammar but meh, too lazy to edit and I already wrote it

20. RainyRai

RainyRai Seraphim

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Underworld Guardian Sparky
    Level:
    higher then a mountain that smokes weed
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    The piano
    ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS.

also ele those tags are legit, we need more snek in this game.

Eleiryn likes this.