Boss Guide Grahdens / Elder Grah Trial 002 Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Josh, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    After defeating Grahdens earlier today, I thought I'd write up a little guide and share my experience and tips.

First of all, you need to have defeated Trial 001 (the Karl fight) before you can challenge Grahdens. The same rules apply to the Grahdens trial, so you can't use Gem's, you can have three squads (the total cost cannot exceed twice your normal cost), a different friend is used for each squad and only one item set can be used.

You can only challenge Grahdens once and he has a 100% drop rate. The fight costs 50 energy and if you win you'll receive 30,000 EXP, 1 Gem and 1,000,000 Zel.

As for the squad's you should use to defeat Grahdens, I still recommend mono element squads. A lot of people are using Critical Hit squad's, and that works fine but I personally didn't. My squad's consisted of:
    • Sacred Flame Lava (Leader), Sacred Flame Lava, Holy Flame Vargas, Holy Flame Vargas, Hot Chef Lancia and another Holy Flame Vargas as a friend.
    • Hail Mech Reeze (Leader), Brave Knight Karl, Gun Goddess Serin, Gun Goddess Serin, Genius Elimo and Holy Ice Selena as a friend.
    • Rebel Angel Elsel (Leader), Holy Thunder Eze, Holy Shock Emilia, Bolt Goddess Amy, Bolt Magus Rashil and another Holy Thunder Eze as a friend.
    My approach with the first squad was to deal as much damage as possible before the squad was wiped out, Sacred Flame Lava's SBB ignores Grahdens' DEF for two turns and both Vargas and Lancia give an ATK buff meaning it's pretty easy to maintain constantly buffed ATK.

For my second and third squad's, you'll see that I used leaders that negate status ailments. This is super useful against Grahdens as later in the fight he likes to inflict Weaken and Injury. Obviously using Reeze and Elsel means that I lose a bit of fire power (no 50% ATK increase Leader Skill), so I made sure to use two friends that gave a 50% ATK buff and a 10% HP buff - without an ATK buff, I feel that any squad (except a Critical Hit squad) would just lack the power).

You'll notice that I used a healer in every squad, this is essential for the Grahdens Trial. I'd recommend using Alpha Tree Altri if you're not using a leader that negates status ailments, if you are then Elimo is probably your second best bet as her DEF buff is super helpful.

If you're wanting to solo the fight, I'd recommend using the following squad's:
    • Hail Mech Reeze (Leader), Felneus, Gun Goddess Serin, Gun Goddess Serin, Wise Mage Elimo and a Selena friend.
    • Holy Arms Douglas (Leader), Holy Arms Douglas, Holy Arms Douglas, Holy Arms Douglas, Alpha Tree Altri and a Felneus friend.
    Units with a high hit count and that Spark well are essential if you're going to run a solo squad (it's important even if you're not). Douglas and Serin work really well for dealing a lot of damage each turn. The second squad doesn't use a negating status ailment leader and instead relies on Altri's SBB which ignores negative status ailments for three turns, I'd recommend equipping an Evil Shard or Refined Gem to Altri if you're going with the second squad.

I'd recommend using permanent status boosting Spheres on all your units except for your healers, I used Medulla Gem's, Sacred Jewel's and Shiny Armor (boosts HP by 20%) on everyone except for my healers - I used Evil Shard's and King's Crown's on them.

If you're going with a mono element squad's like I did, then I'd recommend the following item set: Cure, High Cure, Divine Light, Fujin Elixir and an elemental Seal that suits your best squad (I used Water Seal's).

Now onto the actual fight, make sure you guard on the first turn. Grahdens will do a powerful AoE dark element attack that will wipe out your first squad unless you guard. It'll do 55% damage if you guard. This will leave you in quite a bad way, so I used a Fujin Elixir, healed up and began the fight.

Throughout the entire battle Grahdens has the following attacks:
    • Single target Dark element attack (inflicts Injury and Weakness)
    • AoE Fire, Water, Earth and Thunder attacks
    On the fifth turn Grahdens will debuff your units by lowering their attack (remains active until you get Grahdens down to 75% HP), buff himself with a Light attribute buff and a 3 turn heal buff.

When Grahdens gets close to 75% HP, make sure that you guard. He'll do another powerful AoE Dark attack that will wipe out your entire squad unless you guard. It's recommended that when you get Grahdens close to 75% HP, guard with everyone except for one unit and just attack with that single unit. This way the worst case scenario is that you'll only lose one unit. Grahdens buffs will wear off after this point.

Now just keep hacking away and healing until you get Grahdens close to 40% HP. At this point, he'll do a slightly weaker version of the attack that he did at 100% and 75% HP. Use the same method of guarding with everyone except for one unit to avoid dying here.

Grahdens will gain a few new attacks at below 40% HP:
    • Single target Dark element attack (inflicts Paralysis)
    • Single target Thunder element attack (inflicts Paralysis)
    • Single target Earth element attack (inflicts Weakness)
    This is when having Reeze, Elsel or Il & Mina as your leader comes in really handy as the debuffs are torturous.

At 20% HP Grahdens will gain another 3 turn heal buff and at 15% HP he'll gain an ATK/DEF and Light attribute buff. This buff wears off at 5% HP, when he gains another DEF and 3 turn heal buff.

You'll have noticed that throughout the entire battle Grahdens had an Angel Idol buff active, this does mean that he's going to revive. This is kind of misleading as he doesn't come back after you've killed him, instead he remains at 1% HP when he should've died. Make sure to guard when he's close to 1% HP and just attack with one unit as he's going to pop off a 9,999 damage AoE Brave Burst.

After this Brave Burst, he'll attack you for one turn and become paralyzed. After that you're home free, just attack him until he dies and you'll capture him!

Someone just posted this picture in chat showing the points when you should guard, it's really helpful so I thought I'd share it:
    Grahdens.jpg
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. kkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkk Supreme

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grah, Felneus, Death Idol Kikuri, Legatus Melchio
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Congrats, and thanks for this.
    What are your thoughts on my squads,
    #1 fel lead 2 doug, serin, tree, and a friend lead doug or fel
    #2 zebra lead, kikuri, elimo, logan, duel gx, friend twins/elsel/reeze
    #3 thunder team (last time used, during karl capture)

3. Jondo

Jondo Knight

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Felneus
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Congrats!!

One thing that I think would be really helpful, is if someone could post a screen shot if grah's hp bar with tick marks at the 75% and 40% mark.

Reign likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    I think you'll be okay, you should be able to defeat Grah with those squads.

Do you have Michele or Dilma? They'd be better than Kikuri. I'd also go with another Zebra for your second squad, if you're going for a Critical Hit squad then you really do need that extra LS.

5. Reign

Reign Gleam

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Quartz, b*tch!!
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Loch for a fool.
    Thanks for this write up.

6. kkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkk Supreme

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    You're right, I'll put michele in after I level her tomorrow, but for now as a trial ill use kikuri or maybe someone with a stronger attack. And I will use another zebra leader. Thanks!

7. Pudii

Pudii Master

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mare / Grahden
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I've tried him three times now, I keep messing up my guarding for his 40% AoE BB.
    Is there any good indicator because this is so brutal.

8. min

min Archfiend

Leader:
    Grah
    Level:
    1 team.

3 dougs, 2 fels, 1 tree.

guard at between the n and s in grahdens.

easy peasy.

9. norvski

norvski Archangel

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    hell keep alice
    Level:
    there a youtube video posted by protoscope in events shows you exactly where to guard .

10. Glum

Glum Aether

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ziz
    Level:
    The Grahdens ultimate attacks are at the following points (visually):
    • When the battle starts (obviously)
    • In your top-right unit's icon, when Grahdens's HP bar comes just between the unit icon and the first letter in its name
    • Right on the left side of the s in Grahdens
    • When the HP bar looks empty (obviously)

11. Tyreezy

Tyreezy Duelist

Friend ID:
    Tyreezy
    Leader:
    Master Lorand
    He's honestly kind of a joke. Status resist units under 30% are a must but as long a you have that and a healer you should finish him off. Be sure to get your guards right though! He gets brutal

Sent from this users bed.

12. panache

panache Demon

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell
    Level:
    [​IMG]

Used this team and it was easy, also used Josh's grahden thanks :D

Last damage didn't do 9999 damage tho.... Two of my anima Douglas had 9200 HP? Both had sacred jewel and 20% from grahden and his last attack left me with 500 hp each Douglas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vergel118 likes this.
  13. kkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkk Supreme

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I DID IT! Fel, 2 Dougs, 1 serin and god tree did 90% of the heavy lifting

14. kkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkk Supreme

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Bb team destroyed Grah. Crit team got him to 0% in 3 turns This was the finale.
    [​IMG]

Leon_Cerberus likes this.
  15. Vergel118

Vergel118

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    AvaniHaileRahganCharlaChromeZeniaKiraZeruiahAvant
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    BF, Blade & Soul

I Also Used this kind of setup.
    1 Fel, 1 Tree, 3 Doug + Karl Friend. 1 team is enough as long as you know when to block His attacks. ;)

panache and Tyreezy like this.
  16. Josiah8BLADES

Josiah8BLADES Dragoon

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grah/Goddess Axe Michele/Fel/Terminator Lilith/Blade Emp Zel
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Ill take him on in a couple days lol got some SBB leveling to do. After that I should be able to pretty much Solo team him.

17. HeroOfLightPKN

HeroOfLightPKN Phoebus

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Retired
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    That's crazy , one of these days I should really make one of those.. I guess I would have to farm Mr. Zebra though.

Almost beat him my first try, didn't guard with the first team as I was told it died in one hit no matter what, my water team took him all the way down to 33% but Elimo bit it on his big aoe so they went down.
    Fire team was up last, didn't know he goes paralyze happy at the last part or I probably would have won.

I guess I need to evolve Elimo, Tesla, and Reeze and give it another go. With those changes I probably would have one teamed him.

18. gain

gain Ascended

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell, Zelnite, Darvanshel
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Can i do it ?
    1st squad fel doug serin edea tiara
    2nd elsel eze lodin fennia rashil
    3rd pot and totem
    I have only 84 cost