Hoping to find a good squad build

Discussion in 'Units & Squads' started by SCIFFER, Nov 29, 2017.

1. SCIFFER

SCIFFER

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Beiorg
    Level:
    Hello,*

I started the game 3 weeks ago, I've been quite active and pushed a lot of content, however I'm now trying to build a good team.

Earth:earth: :
    Gyras, Hisui, Mordlim, Freed, Baiken, Felice, Leona

Fire:fire: :
    Seria, Owen, Azurai, Amus, Rugahr, Natalame, Kulyuk, Shura, Lyonesse, Barbara, Barion, Agnia, Adriesta x2, Sol

Water:water: :
    Stein, Melord, Holia, Mariella, Hugh, Amu yunos, Ilm, Noah, Ky

Thunder:thunder: :
    Beiorg, Marlo, Ragra, Ewan

Light:light: :
    Ionia x2, Elphelt, Lara, Izuna, Zekt, Mora, Jack-O

Dark:dark: :
    Johan x2, Zalvard, Zekuu, Dirk Rezo, Sonia, Ramlethal

2. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Okay, so this is a good unit list, just to be clear.

Since you're relatively new, I'd say decide on a main squad to focus on. I recommend variant #1 or #2, but the others are viable.

MAIN SQUAD
    Variant #1: Mordlim, Mariela, Adriesta, Holia, Ramlethal (or Baiken/Barion/Shura/Agnia/Ionia/Izuna/Mora/Sonia)
    Variant #2: Mordlim, Mariela, Azurai, Holia, Mora (or Baiken/Ionia only)

- EASY CONTENT LEADER: Adriesta or Ramlethal/Baiken/Shura/etc (any of the Ramlethal alternatives). Possibly Azurai lead, but some bosses will resist crit dmg.
    - HARD BOSS FIGHT LEADER: Mordlim or Mariela, preferably with a Regil/Lukroar or Jack-O'/Azurai/Shida/etc friend. Alternatively Azurai lead and Cleria/Phileine/etc friend but that's not as good.
    - SP Mordlim for two turn 50% dmg reduction. Use Mordlim BB if need ailments vs. specific bosses.
    - SP Mariela for status ailment cleanse/removal. Holia can do three turn ailment null, but this is not ailment removal. Mordlim lead can do permanent ailment null, but lead skills can be cancelled/locked by bosses. Though if you have Masked Steerwheel sphere from Desert Mayhem vortex this is optional.
    - cast Holia UBB early as a safety net in hard boss fights, 80% chance units don't die when killed. Recast if needed.
    - if using Baiken in variant #2, SP for sparks fill BB gauge, if using Ionia in either build SP for spark dmg buff

MAIN SQUAD - ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS:
    Jack-O', Mariela, Adriesta, Holia, Ionia/Sonia

- similar to above, except Jack-O'/Mariela lead for hard bosses, and build gets ailments/debuffs from Ionia/Sonia instead (sphere them for ailment inflict chance, i.e. vorpal chainblades, metal orb, virulent device). SP Ionia/Sonia for spark dmg buff value if using them. Mariela is optional if you have masked steerwheel.
    Mariela, Holia, Azurai/Beiorg, Mora/Ionia/Baiken, Mordlim (or Amus/Ilm/Stein/Johan if Ionia used)
    - again, similar, except Azurai lead skill is also possible for hard bosses, and note that Beiorg has similar UBB to Holia. Azurai/Beiorg instead of Adriesta, use Mora/Ionia/Baiken (if Baiken, SP for sparks fill BB gauge, if Ionia SP for... yeah.

OTHER NOTABLE UNITS:
    - Hisui also has an LS usable vs. hard bosses and can take a Mordlim/Amus/Ilm/Stein slot, but is not recommended for you as he is squishier than other units (lower max HP, no self HP boost SP option). Felice is similarly a useful kit but, yeah, squishy.
    - Gyras, Lyonesse, Natalame, Ewan are excellent units for mono-element squad builds (e.g. in GR), but you should not probably not prioritise them as a newer player unless your guild is big into Guild Raid.

FRONTIER HUNTER/CRIT
    Barion (Lead) + Natalame, Rugahr, Adriesta, (last slot - second Adriesta or Shura/Barbara)

ARENA/COLO
    Arena, colo atk: Zekuu (Lead) + Zalvard, Marlo, Ilm, Azurai
    Arena def:
    - same as above except maybe Zalvard lead
    - Holia also possible as squad member

3. SCIFFER

SCIFFER

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Beiorg
    Level:
    Hi acyl thankyou for your comment that is very helpful i just got my steerwheel earlier and i got janice too is she a notable unit? And lastly i use amus a lot cause he has mitigation, ailment cleanse, Healing when attacked and burst heal, he could even have HoT thats why i use him instead of mordlim and mariella

4. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Well, Amus does ailment cleanse as well, yeah. I didn't think to mention that since I was looking at Mordlim/Mariela as priority over Amus, but there's a reason for this.

See...Amus is good, but... well, here's the thing, really... no matter what you do, you probably want to ensure at least one of Mordlim, Jack-O', Mariela are in squad. Full stop. Technically Azurai can be used instead, but I don't recommend that - so let's just say you want to ensure Mordlim, Jack-O', or Mariela are in squad. Not necessarily all three, but at least one.

Why? Lead skill. For hard boss fights, you absolutely want, if at all humanly possible, to have a leader that does some kind of damage reduction. These three have it. Azurai does as well, but Azurai's lead skill is also a crit dmg LS, and bonus crit dmg is often completely useless vs. newer bosses, so Azurai is the worst choice for this purpose.

Okay. So that's the next issue - Mordlim and Jack-O' don't work well with Amus. Mordlim, Jack-O' and Amus are all 50% dmg reduction/mitigation units, you ideally don't want to duplicate buffs in a main general purpose squad.

So if you want to use Amus, the logical thing is to bring Mariela, right? Except at that point there's no major benefit in having masked steerwheel, since Mariela or Amus can do the ailment removal.

None of this is a problem exactly, it's just the logic train here. You want Amus, that's fine, it just means you're working with something like Mariela, Holia, Amus, Azurai (or Beiorg), Ionia ... which is one of the options I listed as a build, mind you, or... and I didn't specifically suggest an Amus build, but you can viably go, hm, call it:

Mariela, Amus, Beiorg, Ionia, (choice of last unit - BB atk, or an SBB sparks fill BB gauge unit if don't want to bother with Ionia BB)
    Mariela, Amus, Beiorg, Sonia, Adriesta (or other sparks fill BB gauge unit)
    Mariela, Amus, Azurai, Ionia, Zalvard
    Mariela, Amus, Beiorg, Mora/Baiken, Dirk Rezo

This assumes you SP Mariela for crit null.

This is fine, it's just a little less flexible in unit choice.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. SCIFFER

SCIFFER

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Beiorg
    Level:
    Excuse me again i followed the mordlim,mariella,azurai,baiken,beiorg, and i just wannna ask again cause i just got Phileine and Nagid i think they are pretty good? Arent they? And any team changes can be done or nothing

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  6. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Phileine and Mariela have a similar LS. This being the case, I'd suggest:

Phileine (Hard content lead) + Mordlim, Holia, Baiken, and choice of last unit - Azurai/Adriesta/Beiorg

If you use Azurai/Beiorg, SP Baiken for sparks fill BB gauge. If you use Adriesta this is optional.

Azurai or Baiken lead for easier content.

Nagid is fine, but he's like Amus. Great unit, but I'm simply suggesting Mordlim instead for space efficiency reasons as a) she packs in ailments/debuffs, which otherwise you need to raise some other unit for (Ionia/Sonia/etc) and swap them in when needed... or you can just bring Mordlim and never need to worry about when you need ailments or don't... and b) you don't strictly need the other stuff that, say, Amus brings to the table, 'cause Phileine or whatever is already there doing heals and ailment removal. And you'd want the Phileine LS.