JP Subforum Updates - Community Input

Discussion in 'Japanese Server' started by Eleiryn, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    So I've gotten some complaints in the recent past about how event information is available here recently, and I figure that rather than making a unilateral decision on behalf of everyone involved, I'd rather see what the community thinks of it. It's no secret that this isn't the biggest English-speaking JP community, AI/plebbit have that pretty well under control, but doesn't mean y'all gotta be second class citizens either, and you guys deserve something a bit better than a year out of date event topic.

Here's the thing - I've gotten some pretty conflicting comments from different people about what they want. I don't think we can 100% make everyone happy. But we can try! Here are some of the solutions I've seen offered or thought of.

1. No megatopic - different topics for each major set of events. Members create when appropriate, get temporary stickies for posting.
    Pros: everyone can get involved, no real 'favoritism' in terms of a single person getting stickies.
    Cons: shit gets messy fast. Look at General Discussion's 400 stickied topics, or god forbid AI's screen full of that shit.

2. User-updated megatopic. Think the Current Events topic, but someone actually keeps it up to date
    Pros: One-stop shop for information. Designated discussion place.
    Cons: rest of the forum gets shit for activity; if that person goes MIA, topic becomes worthless immediately. Will need to cycle them occasionally.

3. Individual topics + a discussion topic. Information aspects of 1, social aspect of 2.
    Pros: pros of 1, hopefully community-fostering aspects of a social topic
    Cons: same clutter issues as 1, social topic can get into Off Topic territory very fast

If you have your own ideas rather than one of the above, feel free to toss em out there.

And just a word of advice for people who want the megatopic - if you're volunteering to make it, you might wanna take a step back and think about how time consuming it can be and the demands of having to update it on a regular basis. That idea ONLY works with a super dedicated lead; mad props to Hyperion and other JP AI mods for keeping theirs up to date, but it wasn't for me.

(if you want to hijack this topic for other update ideas, feel free, the events thing is just what I've gotten the most feedback on from a couple people so I made it the main subject)

Rei Rukh likes this.
  2. ksham

ksham

Leader:
    I think we can clean up JP a bit more to reduce the number of pinned threads.
    1. Merge Simple Translation Method into Getting Started
    2. Unpin Reminder Re: Referrals. The "hype" has been long gone.
    3. Unpin Starter Dream Evolution and Darvanshel, Kajah, Rameldria7*. Nice to have about a week ago, but does not require a pin now. There is a new batch incoming tomorrow.
    After that, there will just be 4 pinned threads (or 3 if you unpin the current "Current Events" thread).

I think regardless of mega-topic or individual topics, it really comes down to timing. We don't have a dedicated JP mod and I don't know how many of the current BFF mods keep up with JP content so it can be a bit troublesome to maintain the pertinent sticky threads (constantly monitoring and sticky/unsticky the necessary threads). That is also a lot of work on its own considering that JP has things going on every week. On the other hand, having a mega-topic runs into the problem of one person not updating it, but it will be a lot easier on the mods. Global works because so many mods play it and are around to handle these types of chaotic individual topic threads.

Rei Rukh likes this.
  3. Corrlin Perry

Corrlin Perry Rookie

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Athena
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Hm...well @Eleiryn I wouldn't mind helping the forums by posting information and keeping up with it. I mod a Google + BF community and am always keeping everyone up to speed with information as soon as it's released.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. Rei Rukh

Rei Rukh Daybreaker

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Laberd. Ask me for Isterio.
    Level:
    Check @ProAssasin78. I will always one-up him.
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Giveaway Frontier, Merit Points Overflow Frontier
    I don't mind helping as much as I can. With time, I managed to understand events from in game news.

Thank you @Eleiryn for helping us to keep make this subforum active.

5. Locky

Locky Diablo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Charla
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    I would like to vote for number 2, with a few designated peeps to keep it running.

6. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    Doesn't work like that as far as I can tell - only the creator of a topic and mods can edit it. So either it's someone who 100% keeps it up to date forever, or separate event topics.

@ksham 's suggestions all seem solid - will implement. Priya and I both keep up with JP but neither of us are really big on updating a megatopic so... we don't anymore. haha.

I wonder - a single megatopic seems to run into long term issues when the updater eventually quits - would monthly megatopics be easier to roll? Most of the feedback I've gotten here and privately suggests that people do generally like the megatopic format to some degree or another, but it's a lot of responsibility... @Corrlin Perry if you want to run a single megatopic I'm willing to give it a shot and toss you a permasticky for as long as you keep up with it, or if you guys want to try monthly or make an awesome argument for per-event that's fine too.

7. ksham

ksham

Leader:
    Oh! That's a good idea. JP gives a monthly overview at the start of the month. I'd say, whoever starts a topic on that would result in it being stickied and they have to update it for the month. Even if the starter does not update the main post that month, the thread should not be 900 pages long to scroll through. We can also pick out designated users who would get them stickied. In other words, if a random person posted it, then maybe nothing happens. If one of the people who signed up started it, then it would be stickied.

I'll sign up. I'm always up-to-date with current events and I think it works out well since I operate on times differently than @Rei Rukh and @Corrlin Perry