Navi's Reddit Thread re: gumi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eleiryn, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/bravefrontier/comments/8akfvn/

For those who don't check reddit or don't have reddit accounts, I found this to be a pretty interesting topic that might spark some discussion. From what I've seen around the community (discord, reddit, Nexus, etc) it's a pretty divisive subject, and while I'm not sure how I feel about it yet personally (I am pretty tired of gumi's bs though) I do think it's worth talking about. I will transcribe the post below for those who don't want to go to reddit at all, noting again that this is Navi's post, not mine.

------

I want to start by saying that the Brave Nexus has been very vocal in regards to how much the season 11 schedule sucks and have done our absolute best to get it changed. I collected evidence showing that people did not like the season 11 schedule, proposed a new schedule with reasoning behind it, and submitted it to Gumi for review. Here is the full post text. In the end, despite the effort we put in to get them to change the schedule, they simply released season 10 rewards early and called it a day.

This is only the latest in a series of poor community relations and management decisions Gumi has made (think about ANY sort of compensation we’ve received for anything in the past 6 months or so), not to mention the numerous poor development implementations of things such as the summoners arc EXP boost, freezing in the easter vortex dungeon, and so much more.

Recall if you will the double rescheduling of season 10, the first of which could have been avoided if they’d just move VA instead (which is mostly what people wanted), and the second of which could have been avoided if they’d actually bothered to test their game for more than 2 hours. We have been sharing the community’s opinions and feedback with Gumi directly for months now but as you can see in the feedback megathreads the responses are mostly either unaddressed, “we’ll see,” or just “no,” and that’s if they even bother to respond (it’s been more than a month now and we haven’t received a summary of responses from Gumi, which is why there isn’t a new feedback thread).

Not to mention that we created the guild raid exploit/bug megathread not just so that the community would be on a level playing field, but so that we could show Gumi what needed to be fixed in guild raid. In the end, bugs have persisted for multiple seasons with new ones being introduced every season once they finally manage to fix something, with subpar or no compensation. The failure to reschedule season 11 is an extra punch in the gut after I shared my misgivings not four days ago about the effectiveness of the private communication line we have with them and they assured us that “as for content schedules and development, we are working to have the Nexus become an active participant in our planning for the content pipeline and event schedules - but it will take time.”

How much time is it going to take you to actually start caring about your playerbase, Gumi? This has been going on for three months now. We tried providing input as players, and it didn’t matter. Then we started providing evidence of community sentiment, so they didn’t even have to take our word for it, and that didn’t matter either. Is it going to take them the same amount of time it did to finally announce what was happening with challenge arena to actually listen to us as a community? Or are you just too shy to tell us you’re never going to listen?

At this point, I’m thinking the only thing we as players can do is to boycott summoning. LE gate after LE gate comes around with nothing being added to the pool permanently, and then the only use for these busted units is in PVP content that is being further divided into winners and losers based on how much you empty your wallet. Seriously, think about the last time any Gumi made unit was added permanently to the summon pool. Even the old GLEX units aren’t even in the normal summoning pool, and VA units are only in VA related gates. We all complain that gumi is a money-hungry company using the latest and greatest LEs to siphon money from their players and break the balance of their own game but as long as we keep summoning, they have zero incentive to do anything differently. Ideally, we should even boycott every Gumi game and play literally anything else, because the amount that Gumi cares at this point is the same as the number of Erzas I managed to summon (which is zero, by the way).

Now you might be thinking is “Well, it’s easy for you to say, you don’t have to keep up with the meta,” but the fact that players feel compelled to summon to keep up with the meta is part of the problem. Gumi is completely fine breaking their game and throwing balance out the window if it will make them money, and if you think that’s a problem (and from what I’ve seen, people think it’s a problem) then we have to show them with our wallets it’s not acceptable, because otherwise they have no incentive to change and the divide between F2P and P2P is only going to continue to grow.

You might also be thinking “But people have called for a boycott before, but there are always pingus that will spend money! How will this work?” but if everyone who did that stopped summoning anyway it would still work. And the game has arguably gotten even worse over time, so I think even pingus can be convinced (also if you simply must spend money on gacha games I can provide alternatives if you ask). Brave Frontier is a non-functional mess so much of the time and in so many game modes, yet we keep trying to play because we remember when the game was good and we want the game to be good again.

And more importantly, we have all made memories with each other and we don’t want to lose those. We don’t want to abandon the game that’s brought us together and caused us to meet so many great people and create so many good times with each other. But we need to do SOMETHING as a community to tell Gumi that they way they are treating their players is unacceptable, and it’s clear at this point from the direct contact we’ve had with them that they genuinely do not give a shit about words and simply pay lip service to hearing our opinions just to get us off their backs. The only way we will get through to them is with our wallets.

So I would like to encourage everyone to spread this post around. Share this with your guild members, on forums, on Gumi’s facebook page, anywhere there are Brave Frontier players. There is a lot we don’t agree on as a community, but in general I think we agree that Gumi’s management and development of Brave Frontier is unacceptable. It’s time to tell them that with our wallets, not just our keyboards. If and when they actually listen to players and fix their game, we can give them money to pay them for their efforts. But right now, they don’t deserve any money based on the way they’re running the game.

tl;dr If we want Gumi to fix anything in the way they interact with the community or develop their game, we need to stop summoning and giving them money because even when we talk directly to them, they don’t care about what players have to say. They will continue to put out LE after LE and further unbalance the game as long as we continue to pay them to do it. If we actually put some effort into spreading this message and taking action as a group, they will be forced to listen to player concerns or lose revenue.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. ZURA

ZURA Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Leader janai, Katsura da!
    Level:
    Level janai, Katsura da!
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Idk
    Soooo in other words, people are finally starting to wake up to the BS that Scumi has been doing to us for years?
    [​IMG]

GR from the get go was a hot mess of Garbage with exploits that were NEVER fixed. You try to fix one another way will pop up. I'd rather they bring back Guild FG. Now that shit was fun

3. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Thanatos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Logged into the game today and saw that S11 is up for rescheduling, so crisis averted?:p

I still think that its not totally that Gumi does not care, but it really is a hilarious cycle of trying to fix one thing while breaking two.:rofl: I cant imagine purposely messing with players like this. Also Gumi cant really delay GR for more than a month at this stage to try some major overhauls, because GR truly has become the lifeblood of the game. There comes a time where they just gotta release the season, no matter what, otherwise people will leave because of inactivity and might never come back.o_O

Had to chuckle a lil at "yet we keep trying to play because we remember when the game was good and we want the game to be good again." Doesn't anyone remember regular raid beta? the game before macros? Doing Maxxwell trial without in game turn counters and hp %?:rofl: I think that the good nostalgia feel comes more from the fact that in the early days the game had less pvp content and because of that was less...stressful, I guess?:confused: Less salt from f2p towards the p2p, less unfriendly unsportsmanlike competition, but now the caps show because of all the pvp content etc.
    But Gumi has done quite a lot of decent QoL changes to the game. I mean technically BF1 Global lasted more than BF JP, so Gumi must be doing something right?:D

4. Brian Szotak

Brian Szotak Darkstalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Blaze, Sae, Zegstia
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Fallout 4, Skyrim
    Whats funny is I'm still a new player and there's so much to do still and I haven't even touched GR. Just goes to show you difference of perspective.

5. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Thanatos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Like I mentioned, the game has gotten quite a lot of "Quality of Life" changes over the years, as auto-battles, macros, filters for units and items, scroll bars etc. So for newer players starting now, the game feels more fine tuned than when it felt for me in 2015.:p
    However most of the players spending a handful of $$$ per month, or just the ones doing all the whining, are veteran players and have done most of the things that you haven't yet and the main "event" they got to look forward to each month is mainly GR, then VA. VA begin slightly less exiting than GR.

When the game made its last story map and then did a few more trials, JP Alim decided to move on, Global Gumi however decided they can prologue the game via monthly player vs player content and steadily increasing unit/sphere/elgif mono element centric powercreep, and they did.(y)
    The problem here is that since these events are time sensitive: you cant pick the day you wanna do GR and its 22h per match, and when they delay the event in order to "fix the bugs", then release the event, let the players have a go at it for some hours, realise the event was still bugged, cancel the event and reschedule it again, re-re-release the event, realize it still has bugs to abuse, but any more cancellations would be more catastrophic, so they let it slide....well then you can understand what the opening post is all about.:rofl:

Eleiryn likes this.
  6. Leonhart

Leonhart

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Azurai/Zelnite/Elza/Sirius
    Currently Playing:
    Vermintide II
    Just my 50 Zel on this matter.

Gumi Europe launched "Super Honor Summon" with a 9 MONTHS timer. Also, they fired some people(confirmed).

For me this is an sign of "ded gamu", not sure for how long BF1 will lasts under Gumi, since Alim stopped BF1 content development in December, 2017.

Either Gumi will milk players dry and throw the game in the trashcan, like they did with Phantom of the Kill and Chain Chronicles or they will develop content until revenue will drop and it will no longer viable to support BF1.

TL;DR After Chain Chronicle and Phantom of the Kill closure, i think that Gumi will milk players to maximum, then announce BF2 release date alongside with BF1 closure and some "goodies" when transfer from BF1 to BF2.

Not sure about that.
    x3 speed feature was developed by Gumi Europe around March, 2015 (since you mentioned Gumi Global), and much later was passed to Gumi/BF Global. Autoquest/autorepeat is original JP feature.
    Not sure about autobattle settings, since i don't remember those in BF1 JP to compare.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    Slight correction - JP refused to add autobattle at all initially - BFGL added it first, then BFJP added a slightly more customizable version than BFGL's original, then BFGL added the heavily customizable autobattle we have today.

Autorepeat is JP though I think yea.

8. Yoshino

Yoshino Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Who ever I feel like
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    PoK (JP) ID is 526828949
    My perspective is that I thought the initial GR date was just fine. Only gripes I have with the game are Colosseum really (And we cant blame just gumi for that but alim for making the matchmaking a shambles) and the amount of LEs we are getting its just plain stupid

9. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    I know what you mean, and you probably know this too, so it's probably nitpicky of me to remark on this, but... the parent company in Japan is Gumi. Literally Gumi. Tokyo HQ, Tokyo CEO and CTO, Japanese board of directors. Gumi also operates regional branch offices, and it's the Singapore/Philippines one that runs Brave Frontier Global. As far as we've been told, Gumi also owns Alim, the studio that made Brave Frontier, it's a Gumi subsidiary.

I mean, yes, technically these are different offices, different people, different incorporated companies - and yes, the salient point is that we've lost BF1 development from the Tokyo team, so we all know that the game isn't gonna be able to just limp along from what little stuff is coming out of Singapore/Philippines. But it all goes back to the same boardroom in Tokyo, in the end. Gumi is Alim is Gumi is Alim is Gumi, and Gumi will make decisions that make sense for Gumi.

We tend to attribute issues with BF Global to the Singapore/Philippines office, and chances are that's generally the case when it comes to operational things like Guild Raid schedule. However, when it comes to really big picture stuff like... shutting games down, then I'd guess the Tokyo HQ is gonna have a say, and those would be the same people signing off on anything to do with JP BF.
    Chain Chronicle is a different beast from PoTK, BF1 and BF2. It is not a pure Gumi game. CC is a Sega developed game, therefore in this case Gumi was operating purely as publisher for the global/English market. CC had lots of issues, and yeah, a lot of 'em certainly were global-specific screwups. We don't know if Gumi pulled the plug or if Sega did, though, or how the business decisions were made there.

Anything going on with PoTK is a better example, as that is also a pure Gumi property.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  10. Leonhart

Leonhart

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Azurai/Zelnite/Elza/Sirius
    Currently Playing:
    Vermintide II
    It's funny how JP refused to add Mystery Frogs from BF EU and x3 battle speed.
    Takahashi: "nope, not doing it".

Right now, the Alchemist Code is new cash cow for Gumi. This also might be the case why BF1 support is bad right now, i.e. they relocated people from BF1 to BF2 localization/bugfixes/playtest and to Alchemist Code.

I'm sure that Gumi can keep BF Global afloat with it's "filler" content, but i really love BF1 main/original story and don't care much about fillers. Also, no more Legacy Evolutions or Trials from Alim.

If Gumi will trash purchaseable units and make in RNG Summon Gates again, i'l play Global just for the story (google translate sucks) and that's it. So far, BF2 JP is awesome. During latest stream they gave everyone 10 Gems, some Metal Gods, Tokens, etc and 2 mil. Zel. TWO MILLION IS GODDAMN A LOT, GOODBYE MY MONEY PROBLEMS! For example, 1 RARE Jewel Parade key will give you like 35-55k~ Zel per run. And you can purchase only 3 per week and they cost a lot of Merit Points. This gift alone is like 40~ Jewel Keys. (or 80.000 Merit Points)

Right now, Brave Frontier 2 Japan offers you 1000 unit slots and 1000 item slots by default, i heavily doubt it will be the same number on Global. (you can still increase it, 1 gem = 5 slots, i think)

Also, purchasing units directly is fckn awesome if you're not a whale. I'm 101% sure that Gumi Global will NOT LIKE that, as global rate ups are mostly utter sht, forcing people to summon 50-150 times for a single unit.

They offers bundles and discounts and there's no more unit types like Anima, Breaker, etc, which further annihilates potential money revenue for Gumi Global.
    (Note: players themselves can assign bonus stats, like for example my Zelnite is Anima/Breaker hybrid with +300 bonus HP and +50 ATK)
    You can purchase Alice+Elza bundle for 30 Gems. (normal price is 40)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018