New Player Help! Team Building, Units, etc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red__Pyramid, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Red__Pyramid

Red__Pyramid

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mora
    Level:
    Hello Forum,

I'm a returning but new player (as in I lost my previous account and am now level 9) and would like some help concerning team building and who I should focus on raising first, etc. I don't have the team cost to sustain more then a single 7* or higher, so I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I wanna know who I should work on and the such so I get in that head space. My units are:

:water:Selena (3*)
    :fire:Golzo (5*)

:earth:Serge (7*)
    :dark:Zalvard (7*)
    :fire:Vargas (7*)
    :fire:Lyoness (7*)

:fire:Agnia (7*)
    :fire:Blaze (7*)
    :earth:Gyras (7*)
    :water:Amu Yunos (7*)
    :thunder:Licht (7*)
    :light:Zekt (7*)
    :thunder:Cleria (7*)
    :light:Mora (7*) :D:D:D

:water:Azami (8*)

Thanks in advance for the help. Any of it is appreciated.

2. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Key unit names have been bolded.

:water:Selena (3*) - Selena has Omni, she's actually damn good for a free starter once fully maxed at Omni, but you probably don't need to prioritise her as you have other healers. Probably most useful for your arena/colosseum squad or as backup healer for second/third squad (some content takes more than one team of units).
    :fire:Golzo (5*) - Golzo is a max 7* unit with no Omni. He's not a bad defensive colo lead but you have Zalvard, so you'd use Zalvard.
    :earth:Serge (7*) - Serge has Omni, but is shit.
    :dark:Zalvard (7*) - Zalvard has Omni. Zalvard is good for arena/colosseum (and as colo defensive lead) and has an amazing defensive UBB for hard boss fights (80% chance units don't die when killed)
    :fire:Vargas (7*) - Vargas has Omni, but is kinda shit.
    :fire:Lyonesse (7*) - I've not bolded Lyonesse but this is borderline. She's a very good Omni... for mono fire squads, in Guild Raid, but you can't do mono fire yet.
    :fire:Agnia (7*) - Omni. Good spark dmg buff unit but you have Licht and Mora as well.
    :fire:Blaze (7*) - Omni, fucking amazing for arena, still fairly useful outside arena.
    :earth:Gyras (7*) - I've not bolded Gyras, but this is borderline - same boat as Lyonesse. Excellent if you can make a mono earth, otherwise meh.
    :water:Amu Yunos (7*) - Has Omni, but is niche (she's EWD focused but this is hard to leverage)
    :thunder:Licht (7*)
    - Omni, spark dmg buffer (but competes with Agnia and Mora for a slot in squad)
    :light:Zekt (7*) - Omni, not bad, but not crucial - good light/dark boss fight lead but you own Cleria
    :thunder:Cleria (7*) -
    Omni, very strong healer, good leader for boss battles.
    :light:Mora (7*) - See Licht and Agnia.
    :water:Azami (8*) - Omni ailment inflict unit, ailments are niche but it's a niche that you're FUCKED without (certain bosses need ailments to beat), so...

Putting this together, we get something like:
    :fire:Agnia (or Licht/Mora), :thunder:Cleria (Either Agnia/Licht/Mora or Cleria Lead) + :dark:Zalvard, :fire:Blaze, :water:Azami
    - Agnia/Licht/Mora for easier stuff, Cleria lead for hard bosses.

In the short run, prioritise Cleria first (your healer), then Agnia/Licht/Mora (whichever you pick), then maybe Blaze. Zalvard and Azami aren't strictly needed immediately (they are mostly for boss killing).

However, the fire vortex arena event is coming up, and if you wanna focus on that then Blaze will be super important.

This is pretty good, but: YOU DO NOT HAVE A MITIGATOR - this is defined as a unit that does 50% dmg reduction/mitigation buff on BB/SBB. It's like the tank role in this game. No mitigator, you're fucked.

So make mitigator friends, or if you've got enough login days on the clock to qualify for the free unit of choice giveaway by end of August, then pick a mitigator as your unit of choice. You're looking at stuff like... :earth:Mordlim, :earth:Hisui, :water:Ilm, possibly :water:Elimo. ... I would go with those first, as they also cover other things you are missing in your squad setup. Other candidates include :fire:Adel, :thunder:Shera, :water:Stein, :fire:Valen, :dark:Johan, :light:Krantz, but they are less helpful to you relatively speaking.

If looking for mitigator friends, all of the above count, as well as :fire:Rain, :light:Juno-Seto, :light:Jack-O', :dark:Cardes (Omni), :light:Solos - these are units which can't be picked from UoC pool but could work in your friend slot.

3. Red__Pyramid

Red__Pyramid

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mora
    Level:
    Wow thanks a lot for all this. So I'll focus on Cleria. I heard she was part of the meta so I was happy when I pulled her. She's a good lead for those arduous trials to get free units right?
    Yeah I realized after I did all those pulls that I had minimal defensive units. I do have a few questions though:
    1) of Licht, Agnia and Mora, which fits my team the best? Mora is definitely my favourite but I'm also thinking Agnia cause she's got a shit tonne of other buffs.
    2) is Azami still able to keep up with the meta? She was one of the first Omni units to be released so I'm curious if her kit / abilities / stats can still be useful today.
    3) how effective is Blaze as a sub outside of Collo? Same for Zalvard.

4. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Correct. Though bear in mind most of the free units you can get via trials aren't actually considered good anymore - only the higher end ones are. Power creep being what it is and all that.
    Pardon me if I overanalyse the shit out of this, but let's walk you through step by step.

Mora is straight up better than Licht, let's be clear on that. So it's between Mora and Agnia...unless you like Licht.

The issue is both Mora and Agnia overlap with Cleria to some degree. Mora overlaps on heal over time and sparks fill BB gauge, Agnia overlaps on heal over time (as well) and status ailment removal. Having the status ailment removal on Agnia is actually pretty huge, it means she can ghetto sub for a healer slot in squads. But if you're bringing Cleria ANYWAY for Cleria's lead skill... then a lot of that benefit is lost. Anyway, so...what both Mora and Agnia have, that Cleria does not, are spark dmg buff (this is important), and BB fill over time (not so crucial, but a minor benefit).

Where Mora and Agnia differ... Mora has heal when squad sparks (this is pretty good), atk/def debuff (the debuff isn't super important but can help in some content and synergises with Azami). Agnia has OD fill (there are a few kinds of OD fill, this is unfortunately the shitty version that doesn't scale) and heal when squad is damaged (this is pretty good).

Functionally speaking, which is better? I think it's going to come down to whether you want heal/spark (Mora) or heal when squad is damaged (Agnia). The Mora buff is better when your squad has the luxury to be aggressive and spam BBs/SBBs (which admittedly is a fair amount of time), Agnia has a more defensive heal that's suited to when your squad may not have luxury to attack (e.g. some bosses will drain your gauges or fuck you for using too many BB/SBBs a turn), or lets you heal reactively on enemy turn rather than your own (which can be beneficial).

Personally I figure it's a slim enough difference that you might as well take whichever you think is more pretty. For what it's worth, Mora's heal/spark is a much rarer buff than Agnia's heal when squad is damaged/attacked... Licht can get heal/spark as well, but overall it's not very common. Whereas...you can for instance get heal when squad is damaged from Selena, for example, who is technically a free unit.
    Azami is primarily a status ailment inflict unit, and while she isn't best at the job she does the job. The rest of her kit is effectively not relevant for discussion. Most ailment inflict unit do take up an entire squad slot, as in you're bringing a unit who functionally speaking is mainly doing ailments and not much else. Ideally of course you want a unit who bundles ailments into their kit while also doing other key jobs, though, e.g. Mordlim does ailments and is also a mitigator (which you NEED to have), or say Zellha can do ailments+crit, Shida can do ailments+element add, and so on.

Ailments are fairly binary, either they're really optional, or they're really important to have, in some cases mandatory. Depends on what you're doing. It is mostly a consideration for harder boss fights, but then you want to build towards those. Stuff like injury inflict works in conjunction with Mora's atk debuff.
    So, both Blaze and Zalvard buff crit rate/dmg. This is... useful, but how useful varies. If crit works fine then it is a huge damage increase, but a lot of newer bosses resist crit dmg bonuses which cuts into the value of crit buffing units.

However, Blaze brings atk/def/rec stat buffs (which all squads want), boosts his own atk, and buffs normal hit count - the latter is notable as boosted normals are generally what you want to have in a build if the regular sources of damage increase (crit, spark dmg) are locked out due to boss immunity/resistance bullshit. And god help the boss if it's vulnerable to crit AND you have Blaze. His UBB does both normal hit and crit dmg... though in practical terms having a unit who's both a crit dmg buffer and a normal buffer is kind of not strictly ideal since in situations where we use normal hit, crit dmg usually does jack fucking shit. But broadly speaking it's still a pretty good package if you're kind of... hedging your bets, if that makes sense, trying to cover multiple bases.

(TL;DR: bringing Blaze in a regular squad helps your defenses some, and will buff squad damage output in hard battles - one way or another he helps damage, if crit works, he does that, if crit and spark don't work, he has his normal hit boost).

Zalvard... for Zalvard you're really bringing him in a non-arena/colo squad for his UBB. That's really about the only reason. 80% chance units don't die when killed is huge, it is immense, for obvious reasons. You need to recast the buff if it triggers/is consumed of course, but it's a great safety net. The thing is, that, and I'll be honest, Zalvard is probably the LEAST popular carrier of this UBB. Reason being aside from it he's just a subpar crit unit (and we have already discussed how crit may not even DO anything significant in boss fights). It's more popular to bring... say, Gabriela, Beiorg, Holia or even Janice to boss fights - those are all units with a similar 80% KO resist UBB, but the rest of their kit is better-suited to boss killing.

But, y'know, I mean, you have Zalvard, you don't have Gabriela, Beiorg, Holia, etc.

(TL;DR: Bring Zalvard for his auto-rez UBB)

5. Red__Pyramid

Red__Pyramid

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mora
    Level:
    Damn you really know your stuff. So basically I'm using Clerias for all difficult content as my leader.
    I think I'll focus on Mora then as opposed to Agnis and Licht. Cause I got as far as ishgria in my last account and mora is best.
    So basically what I need now is a mitigator. This is just like my last account where I spent a year without any sort of mitigation then finally pulled narza (back when 6* was the highest you could go).
    Unfortunately I won't be able to pull from the UoC so I'm really hoping that i pull something decent. (Or get a good enough team to get Gazia and use him till I get something better). Maybe Ezra will be a mitigator too though I'm assuming she'll contend with Alza Masta as a Damage God).
    I gotta get my hands on some defence or at least magress to Omni him for now.

6. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    You've basically summed up the feasible mitigator options for you, yeah. There are other free options, but they're all no longer available (event units), too weak (Tesla 5* in Frontier Hunter), or gated behind so much content that it'll be a while before you get them (Omni Cardes, the summoner avatar unit with mitigator weapon, 'cause as of the current update in JPBF, the custom summoner unit can be used in regular content and can equip an Omni-grade mitigation weapon).

In practical terms it's still worth trying to summon for one... in the meantime, make mitigator friends.

7. Red__Pyramid

Red__Pyramid

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mora
    Level:
    Cardes is so far from me. I can't even sustain two 7* units let alone evolve a Unit to Omni.

8. Red__Pyramid

Red__Pyramid

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mora
    Level:
    Also, a few things:
    1) I was reading Clerias' data and I'm kinda confused why she's considered meta. Aren't there a lot better LS out there then hers?
    2) idk if you recognize me but I was the guy you helped a year ago to beat gazia and Cardes. I still have a PM open with you about it. Same shit different year.

9. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Any unit with a 20% damage reduction/mitigation effect on lead skill is meta. Full stop. Period. No further discussion required, that's an argument-ending point right there - anything else is just whipped cream on top of the dessert.

Specifically, though, Cleria also has BB gauge fill when squad is attacked on lead skill. This is particularly beneficial in hard content where filling gauges is more important than damage output. Also bear in mind that a) other forms of BB gauge gen may be less effective in boss fights, e.g. sparks fill BB gauge and BC drop when attacking simply aren't as good when there is only one boss enemy (hence only one target) on screen... and b) many bosses do BB gauge drain, and BB fill when squad is attacked is a soft counter to this (as while you lose BB when attacked, you also gain BB when attacked, so...)

Combining BB gauge fill when squad is attacked with dmg mitigation/reduction is hence particularly good for hard boss fighting. Obviously not so good for things where DPS matters, but great for shit where you don't care about damage and just need to stay alive. Cleria isn't the only unit to combine BB gauge gen with dmg mitigation/reduction - Mariela LS is similar but overall slightly weaker. Rozalia/Zekt are similar but their mitigation only works vs. specific elements and not all six. Jack-O' is similar (with mitigation that works vs anything) but significantly lower grade mit (though admittedly Rozalia/Zekt/Jack-O' stack with anything else).

In other words, if you specifically want that combo of LS capabilities, Cleria is the best.

10. Red__Pyramid

Red__Pyramid

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mora
    Level:
    Ok. I wasn't sure how effective that 20% mitigation actually was. How does the mechanic work?

11. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    It's exactly the same effect as the BB/SBB 50% damage reduction/mitigation, but the point is you can stack the two lead skill mitigation effects, then stack that with BB/SBB mitigation effects. LS mitigation stacks additively while other sources (BB/SBB, UBB) stack multiplicatively so short of a UBB that does literally 100% mitigation it's hard to actually approach the 100% mark via stacking, but you get the idea.

The reason why mitigation is so important is because it's a straight up reduction to incoming damage, or damage taken. No fucking around with comparing enemy atk stat or multipliers to your def or anything like that, it just takes incoming damage and cuts it by whatever percentage value you have. Say you have net 70% dmg reduction after everything is factored in, you only eat 30% of the raw damage you WOULD have taken otherwise - and then it's further reduced by def or whatever.

The truth of the matter is the mechanic was probably a mistake on the part of the devs, but once they opened that can of worms, it's escalated. Because players have access to this, newer content has to be harder to challenge them - but then it means in turn that you need mitigation stacking to survive content, and you're completely and utterly fucked without forms of mitigation, which means the devs need to introduce more units with various versions of the effect or add it to existing units... and so on.

Mitigation is supposedly going to be a less of a factor in BF2. Hardly surprising.

12. Red__Pyramid

Red__Pyramid

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mora
    Level:
    I heard that in Brave Frontier 2 mitigation is supposed to be like what it is in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: just a "tank" unit that can jump infront of other units to eat up Damage at a reduced rate.

Ok so I realize I really need that mitigator unit. I'm hoping I can pull one from the Omni pool with the summer summon tickets. Any other Buffs I really should look for?