New Player. Squad advice-Updated with many units!

Discussion in 'Units & Squads' started by Joseph Parziale, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Roglizer is better than Shion in most respects, though a) if using Rog you do need someone in squad to do atk/def/rec tristat (probably Beiorg)... Rog doesn't do this, Shion does, and b) Shion's UBB is still better than Roglizer's, though admittedly to maximise Shion UBB you'd want another OD filler - the idea there is to try to chain back to back casts of Shion's UBB. This is possible with Shion (and Allanon) because they instantly refill 50% OD gauge when casting UBB. Roglizer doesn't, you instead get an OD fill rate buff, but... I admittedly haven't looked hard at Rog numbers and I don't CARE enough to do so, but the OD fill rate buff is usually inferior to a direct percentage OD gauge fill, particularly since IIRC the OD fill rate buff doesn't scale well with increasing actual numerical OD costs that come with subsequent UBB use. However 50% fill is.... always 50% fill, it's always half the requirement even if the requirement is increasing. In practical terms it does mean Shion and Allanon stand as the two units with unique pretty unicorn UBBs.

Dupes, yeah, either use 'em for Omni+ on key units you know you'll want to Omni+, or trade for merits. For nuke units or certain key ones you can have multiple copies, e.g. in a particularly drastic case I have four level 150 Omni+1 Azurai simply for fire arena, but that's not... normal, or even particularly recommended.

Some build suggestions:

:light:Regil, :dark:Roglizer, :thunder:Beiorg, :light:Juno-Seto, :earth:Phileine
    - SP Roglizer for sparks fill BB gauge, SP Phileine for BB fill when squad is attacked
    - Roglizer covers ailment inflict on BB, while Beiorg does atk/def/rec and has similar UBB to Gabriela (so no Gabriela in squad)
    - Regil/Phileine lead for hard fights, Roglizer for farming

:earth:Phileine, :dark:Roglizer, :thunder:Beiorg, :thunder:Daltisk, :light:Juno-Seto
    - SP Roglizer for spark dmg buff (no Regil/Lukroar in squad). No need for gauge fill SP on Phileine/Rog since Daltisk is here
    - Phileine/Beiorg lead for hard fights, Roglizer for farming and DPS

:light:Lukroar, :dark:Roglizer, :fire:Amus, :thunder:Beiorg, :earth:Baro/Mariletta/Phileine (or :water:Camilla/Ilm)
    :light:Lukroar, :dark:Roglizer, :water:Melord, :earth:Nagid, :thunder:Daltisk
    - Lukroar versions, squad elements arranged for Lukroar LS, SP Roglizer for sparks fill BB gauge
    - Melord variant needs SP on Melord for atk buff, def buff, ailment cleanse/removal

Joseph Parziale likes this.
  2. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Interesting, so Shion is still relevant then even with Roglizer around. Glad because i invested and maxed him out already. I have the materials to omni + him as well. And those are some great builds, i am going to have to try all of these out, but i have to max the top units first that fit in most of these builds. Fortunately a lot of them don't need legend stones! So that will save me on merit points. I do need to save up keys so i can do the mega parade. I can usually max out a bunch of units with a single mega parade if i get lucky with crystals.

I did another couple pulls with my last gems and got super lucky. I plan on doing as many exp runs as i can on monday to hopefully get enough cost for 5 units finally.

:fire:Zegstia
    :light:Lara
    :earth:Nyala
    :light:Alan
    :light:Reseus
    :fire:Ciara

3. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Yes, Shion does still have some relevance... though Allanon, and now the new release Omni Xenon, do provide alternative 50% OD refill UBBs.

:fire:Zegstia and :light:Alan are notable pulls. Zegstia is a very strong crit squad lead, nuke unit, and is space efficient for dmg builds, doing spark dmg and crit buffs in one slot (though these days a lot of strong crit squad units do carry spark dmg buff). Zegstia has more limited use for hard content builds though, he doesn't offer any durability really, just massive face punching. Alan has one of the good mitigation lead skills - it's 15% static mitigation like Regil, Lukroar and Zellion, but he's set up sort of like Phileine/Cleria/Mariela in the sense he combines mitigation with BB gauge fill on lead skill. This is a more conservative pairing than the Regil/Lukroar hybrid damage/survival mix - if you don't care about damage, and just want to be tanky with full BB gauges, the Alan LS is better.

Lara is an obsolete healer/support unit who can be used as mitigator, but shouldn't. Not bad as a non-mitigator slot, but not great. Nyala is a decent earth nuke but not super spectacular. Reseus is a normal hit increase unit (I also always confuse Reseus with Segrud for some reason, I think because they're both unremarkable light units from the same era). Normal hit does have some uses, depending on circumstances. Ciara is an element add unit, though you do have several (Rog and Shion are element add for example) and Ciara in particular is not suitable for FH/crit squads unlike most ele add units due to animation/buff timing - she can still be used in other builds but that's a big drawback for an element adder.

4. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Awesome, thanks again man, you really helped me out big time trying to figure out all the new stuff and get an understanding of what makes a good team. Now i understand a lot of the key elements to a team. Mitigation, cleanse, BB boost, Spark buff, etc. I still have a hard time because i get overwhelmed with how many units i have and trying to remember which unit has what and which units are the best choice for my needs. I am sure i will get it in time. I might make a quick list of which characters fit into which job.

I am gonna put a master list here so i have it as well. All 7* or above.

:fire: Zegstia, Avant, barion, kulyuk, rengaku, shura, lyonesse, barbara, phoenix, amus, ciara, adriesta

:water: Wintia, Vern, Melord, mariela, vaisal, zalts, aston, llm, camilla, rickel, azami, arsom

:earth: Edea, felice, daze, rozalia, gyras, mariletta, baro, mordlim, daros, phileine, barvars, nagid, nyala, hetepheres, faelan, fang

:thunder: Daltisk, behemoth, ragra, rayla, fizz, viktor, licht, beiorg, jireid, eerikki, nan hua, undine

:light: Lukroar, regil, alan, gabriela, juno-seto, ionia, solos, reseus, carroll, lara, sirius, lauda, aggress, zekt, linasera, segrud

:dark: Shion, roglizer, zenia, alice, luina, nyami, ensa-taya, sonia, dirk, zephyr

5. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Full disclosure: I forget as well. I often get Segrud and Reseus confused, for example, and Dirk Rezo and Mizo Dorte. Until literally last weekend I also didn't know Luina had KO resistance on her UBB, because... I mean I've read Luina's data multiple times, I just glossed over that somehow. To be fair, these are unpopular units so I've never heard anyone else discuss them, but my own reading comprehension could surely be better. The fact these are all weird fantasy names doesn't help, of course. :)

6. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Lol okay good to know i am not alone. I have been clearing out all of the grand gaia chronicles for gems and spheres, can auto crush nearly all of them except for a couple where i get wrecked.

I added these two to the list

:earth:Eriana
    :light:Limilnate

Have been using Roglizer lead, lukroar, daltisk, and wintia. Not bad, but i know i can do better. I need 5 slots dammit.

7. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Hey Acyl, So i managed to get all of these units to Omni with UBB unlocked. Some i have SP'd already, but most are a blank canvas. I am having a bit of trouble for some remaining Grand Gaia Chronicles and was hoping to make a team to beat them? Any ideas for a solid trials team? I also have the list of units from above, but i think these were most of the ones you recommended i used.

Thanks in advance

:water:
    Wintia
    Melord
    Rickel
    llm

:fire:
    Amus
    Zegstia

:earth:
    Edea
    Mariletta
    Faelan
    Rozalia
    Limilnate
    Nagid

:dark:
    Shion
    Roglizer
    Ensa Taya
    Dirk
    Alice

:thunder:
    Ragra
    Daltisk
    Behemoth
    Beiorg

:light:
    Solos
    Alan
    Lukroar
    Juno Seto

8. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    For GGC/Trials, probably something like:
    :light:Alan (Lead) + :light:Juno-Seto, :dark:Shion, :dark:Roglizer (or Ensa-Taya), :earth:Phileine (or :water:Mariela - yes I know you don't have them at Omni, you do have them though)
    - SP Roglizer for spark dmg buff and sparks fill BB gauge, SP Ensa for sparks fill BB gauge.

That setup gets you KO res UBB on Alan (I keep forgetting he has it, but he does have it), rez UBB on Juno, and 50% OD refill mitigation UBB on Shion. The issue is that Shion clashes with Alan and Roglizer (tho if you run Ensa instead of Rog that's less clash). Note that with Shion 50% OD refill ideally you want at least one more unit in squad that does OD fill, which this setup doesn't facilitate.

Alternatively, if you give up Juno rez, then something like :light:Alan (Lead) + :fire:Amus, :dark:Shion, :dark:Roglizer (or Ensa-Taya) (choice of 1x unit) ... this gives you a bit more flexibility as ailment cleanse/heal is handled in the Amus slot. Last slot would be for BB fill when squad is damaged or possibly an OD fill unit to supplement Shion.

Finally it's possible to give up Shion's UBB if you want, it's a useful tool but not strictly necessary.