Recent wave of Bans

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by Josh, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Priya

Priya The Witch Moderator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Classified
    Leader:
    Shion/Zeru/Regil
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Overwatch, Unison League, Valkyrie Connect,
    Your first point was addressed earlier.
    Alternate accounts are again our ToS.
    Making accounts while banned is what we call as ban bypass.

2. DK_

DK_ Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeru, Ensa, Juno
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Well thank you for the answers. Since you have been transparent with me, may I ask what were the alternate accounts created?

I also spoke to Jastan a few days ago and he had told me he was given a permaban when he was supposed to get a month ban. Was he lying? Or can you tell me the specifics as why he was given a harsher sentence?

And last question, does talking about a LINE group constitute a bannable offense? Ive seen it mentioned before.

Thank you

3. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    I think the other staff have answered that question of the general warnings thing, but to add my own personal take on that - if someone starts a blatant drama-whoring topic based off of one side's info and doesn't even make a token attempt to check the facts with us, then spend 3 pages of the topic trying to rabble-rouse and drag innocent but gullible forum members into that retard rodeo, I'm not sure that's someone I WANT to come back.

Cloudzz likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Duplicate accounts are usually flagged at creation and rejected, so they never actually sign up. Some people manage to get passed this though.

Jastan was warned twice in succession, @Eleiryn knows the details better than I do.

5. DK_

DK_ Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeru, Ensa, Juno
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Thank you for the explanation. I would be interested for the details by @Eleiryn

6. Oscort

Oscort Barrager

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ConySkip
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    ConySkip
    I know the forums used to be a bit more loose with the rules in the past, when I first joined there were a lot of negative threads on Gumi bashing especially when it came to the whole November fiasco where the servers went completely down. The leniency that was given several months ago and the rules being enforced more to the point now is a hard transition for those of us who were here back then. I personally haven't been here a full year but I do know that the rules have become more on point.
    I'm not saying that all the people on this forum who are older members should have full leeway in regards to the rules, but trying to fall into the rule book after what they've/we've been allowed to say back a few months ago will take some effort, especially since the tightening of the rules has been quite recent without much notice. At least on my part anyways.
    I know threads that were derailed would be moved to off topic and we would still be allowed to run around in that thread without an issue, and I know some of the things we've said in those derailed subjects were...borderline inappropriate. Now I know we get warnings and topic closures depending on the derailment.

7. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    Since I was the one who ended up giving most of his warnings, I'll switch in here. Long story short - I sent a verbal warning when he was already at multiple board warnings to try to get him to chill a few weeks ago - he 'snapped' and started trying to cause as many problems as possible (recruiting people for the 'free cobalt!'/mods are evil brigade, constantly posting public statuses/posts/messages attacking mods or complaining about it (mostly since deleted), insults and attempts at intimidation/threats to me personally via PM, etc, ignoring the conduct for which he was originally warned) - and accrued multiple board warnings afterwards very quickly as a result. I feel I should note that multiple mods, myself included, attempted to talk with him and let him know he was welcome on the forum, while making it clear what he had been warned for - he ignored those attempts at peacemaking and refused to take responsibility for any of his actions while redoubling his efforts to cause as much trouble as possible. I sincerely regret that he was unwilling to actually discuss things or work towards a more harmonious resolution, but he set himself up for those warnings, tempbans, and eventually permaban, and the ongoing and incessant crusade he and the other ringleaders have been launching, I think, show that this is a personal issue being taken out on the forum rather than any attempt at 'justice' or 'stopping a rogue mod,' both tactics that were already attempted repeatedly.

The stories for the three 'main' banned members are very similar, while the specifics vary - a long history of warnings, many of them for extremely severe flaming or homophobic slurs or otherwise stuff that generally qualifies you for the fast track on bans - and each of them were given WAY too many chances because I'm a wuss who doesn't like warning/banning people. The stories going around (innocents permabanned solely for defending people, getting permabanned just for disagreeing with a mod) are complete bullshit and handily omit previous bans and a mountain of incriminating evidence. Hell, one of them was only back on probation, which he violated repeatedly - and yet apparently people think he just randomly got banned for... some reason? Half of these people went to most of the mods separately trying to get different answers, even after being shot down by Josh, just since they didn't like those answers, and even trying to recruit other mods to join their crusade - apparently ignorant of the fact that mods are all aware of what's happening.

I tend to be the spearhead of disciplinary action since I'm on the most, which obviously generates a certain level of resentment against me, but I make damn sure the rest of the staff (Josh included) are in on it, and I discuss literally every action I take with Priya/Sustainer on Skype as I do them to get second and third opinions to make SURE I'm not overreacting - and if I'm not sure if I can handle something in an unbiased manner, I generally just hand it over to them (or other mods if they're on) to be sure it can be handled fairly.

We try to keep all this talk on the down low - not because we feel we do anything wrong, or because I'm terrified Josh might find out what I do (seriously, mods always know what I do), but because... this is a fucking game discussion form. We're supposed to be here to talk about Brave Frontier and chillax and laugh with each other, not have a couple manchildren who got banned after dire histories start an avalanche of shit because they can't handle taking responsibility for their actions. This entire debacle should never have happened, and WOULD never have happened, if it wasn't for a group of friends actively trying to take the forum apart just to satiate their own lust for blind revenge. Fancy words like 'justice' stopped having any meaning in their war a long time ago, and I'm not going to pretend otherwise. This is nothing more than astroturfing - attempting to create the image of public dissent by using people as tools to spout their one-sided views.

Given that their LINE group has been actively used as a base of operations to launch attacks on the forum by the three banned members, blatantly recruiting people for it from the forum is absolutely a delete/warnworthy offense since it's nothing more than a blatant attempt to get more people involved in the drama that those three are actively formenting.

Kiyoji21, kitkitkit, Shinra and 2 others like this.
  8. DK_

DK_ Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeru, Ensa, Juno
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    All right, I was asking this because he had also told his own version of the accounts. Which I had saved. Here it is:

"I'll tell you exactly what happened.

I posted this comment on Nova's Raid Thread which is on topic...

"Or Gumi could've spent these 3 weeks and ACTUALLY fixed Raid"

I received my first warning. Probably because it's Nova content creator like Leon Zai.

Then maybe 3 weeks went by and I replied to Usernam's comment on another Raid Thread about no one missing Cobalt. I said...

"I do. The forums sure was a funner place with him.

On Topic: Raid Sucks!

I received my second warning for that. I PMed Ely asking "What did I do now?" She replied with some snarky big words remark and I replied with....

"It's apparent you don't want me here"

I started making a goodbye thread saying something along the lines of...

"If my negativity isn't wanted here then I shall take it elsewhere. Don't worry I'm not quitting the game... Yet. For those of you who remain try to have "fun""

I was banned within 5 secs of posting that."

He also talked about permanently banned for this post.

1430422046386.jpg

Again, sorry for the long winded post. I read your reply Eleyrin and if what you say is true, then I understand the actions. But there are also two sides to every story. I'm just trying to find the Grey area and hopefully see how we can avoid a situation like that.

9. Oscort

Oscort Barrager

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ConySkip
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    ConySkip
    This goes back to my post about how we had a lot more leniency prior to the rules tightening. Things such as Raid sucks server sucks etc. were quite wholesome and used by everyone, forum goers and mods alike. I can see how it would be more of an isssue now since many of those issues have been fixed. Though the whole we let x people in for beta thing was a pretty large debate. Even then though, those who got in railed the hell out of raid while those of us from the sidelines looked with envious eyes of wanting to get in still. I know I got pretty aggravated when those who said oh so we have raid but we don't have Feeva batch QQ this world is hard got me off my rockers pretty quick.
    Though I see that some complaints may be viewed as please we want this fixed we care about this game thats why we complain...take it with a grain of salt but not every bash thread out there is a thread that shows hatred but desire for success.
    Though, its strange that even Gumi employees show a sign of how we react and it's allowed to be broadcast. As far as I know they don't broadcast as often or ever anymore but the guy who used to do all their livestreams used to do what we all would say. "Coming Soon" with a sarcastic face and tone. I know many people stopped watching those because of how he acted, while others wanted at least only information and prizes?
    Regarding Hiro though, I understand stirring up drama is a issue, and about the whole creating a second account and IP bypassing etc I have no idea on who did that but I haven't seen Hiro do anything bad until this point...I'm going to miss him...but I'm not the authority here so I mean not much for me to say here.
    Well as a semi long, almost a few months off from 1 year forum member this forum was quite enjoyable, I hope to see the stifling of things to go down but we won't know until it comes along amirite huehue.

10. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    Not listed above: numerous posts like "Gumi just give the game to someone else already. SMDH." "What did Gumi fix? Nothing. Down for 3 weeks and it's the same ol' shit. WTF!" "Imps would be nice. Or you know THE IMP DUNGEON we should've had months ago!!! :rolleyes:". Individually not warn worthy for the most part, but when most of the post history is stuff like that + off topic comments, it adds up; as Josh posted here it's not illegal to be mad at Gumi or whatever, but regularly derailing threads or otherwise being extremely negative does lead to warnings/eventual bans. We try to avoid using the negativity rule because it's frankly very subjective, but when people get bad enough, yeah, we occasionally do have to bring it out.

Also not listed: multiple insulting/threatening PMs to me and repeated attempts at baiting, trying to get Josh to fire me, MANY profile comments/board posts complaining about mods and trying to recruit others for the crusade - and this is all while mods are trying to connect with him to get him to chill and talk about this stuff. AND we still haven't gotten at all into his ongoing offsite drama-formenting, which is itself warn/banworthy. Warnings/bans are usually attached to patterns rather than individual events (again, go back to me being a wuss who doesn't like warning people, I tend to put it off if possible), and those specific posts were each only a small part of the overall conduct that led to warnings. I'm repeating myself at this point - my previous post more or less addresses the same stuff. He was given a more complete list of warnworthy posts - he chose to ignore it and move on to attacking me. He is well aware of what he was actually getting warned for and simply chooses to hide that fact because it doesn't agree with his narrative.

The situation could very easily have been avoided if he had just followed rules, or failing that, discussed the topic with us civilly (at the time I thought he was a solid member of the forum and tried to give him that opportunity). He didn't. He eventually got banned for it. There's not a lot to discuss there. He repeatedly refused to actually discuss his conduct with staff and ignored all attempts at peacemaking, and has since been using relative innocents like you to spread his version of the story while occasionally trying to turn mods against each other (and failing miserably). If he had ANY interest in resolving the solution, it would never have gotten to this point, and I don't particularly care to have an ongoing proxy battle with him through you. At this point, I could have banned him for disliking tapioca pudding and his conduct since then would still effortlessly qualify him for a permaban.

Also, while most of the claims aren't even worth repeating, the Nova one is especially stupid. There aren't 'special' members - Nova has no special immunity to rules nor is he specially protected by us. That Jastan ended up banned despite his relative forum popularity among a small group of friends and acquaintances is itself proof of that.

Priya and Shinra like this.
  11. CodeB

CodeB

Server:
    Japanese
    Leader:
    Avant/Thunder Dragon/Charla
    Well as a normal forumer I can vouch that the atmosphere in this forum has changed quite a lot since I first joined. Internet is a place filled with all sorts of people and while I'm generally adaptable some others might find it difficult to agree with the tightening rules. Hard to say which side is absolutely evil in this case because they just have different ideals how this forum should be run.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  12. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    I have personally spoken with Jastan regarding this matter, I gave him a chance to stick around here and he clearly had no intention of abiding by the rules.

It is posts exactly like this one that have lead to other members getting warned and banned. It feels like you're speaking for Jastan about an issue that quite frankly has nothing to do with you. You acting as a medium for him does nothing but stir up more trouble - trouble that we have tried to prevent by banning him.
    Incessant Gumi bashing has never been welcome here, the rules have not recently changed on this. It's been like this for a long time now, way before the Raid closed beta testing was released. We had to make a decision to tighten up the rules on negativity back then because this forum was becoming a breeding ground for hateful posts and was a far worse place to be than it is now in my opinion.

Priya, Eleiryn and Shinra like this.
  13. Oscort

Oscort Barrager

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ConySkip
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    ConySkip
    Like mentioned November was a month of solid hatred. I know you posted something about gumi negatively shortly after in November. Have other members then the aforementioend hot related members also been discliplined? I won't throw out names but after closed beta there were some pretty powerful negative threads and posts from some members other then the recent banned. This is just out of curiosity, as I know jastan was a famous raid hater there were a few others I noticed who trashed it harder then him

14. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Yes, they have. As mentioned earlier in the thread, members such as @BeyondZ were given numerous warnings about such things also. The difference between members like BeyondZ and the banned members is that have made an effort to be respectful of the rules, regardless of whether or not they agree with them.

Shinra likes this.
  15. Oscort

Oscort Barrager

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ConySkip
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    ConySkip
    Interesting never thought of beyond z for being a rule breaker oh well thanks for he insight

16. Shinra

Shinra

Server:
    European
    Leader:
    ☆.¸¸.•´¯`✗○¸.·¨¯`♥
    And here I thought double standards were rampant around here. I was proved wrong - props to you guys
    Yeah it's changed. New and old members aren't trolled 24/7.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Eleiryn likes this.
  17. DK_

DK_ Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeru, Ensa, Juno
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Oh yeah, no doubt that I came across this way as a medium for Jastan, however I wanted more clarity about some things. I also believe this helps, as I mentioned before, with the transparency for not only me. But fellow forum members who might have wondered what happened to some of the other users who were pretty active in the forums. So it is only normal that I become curious about your point of view as well as the reasons as to why you decided to take any actions, which have been answered after my inquiries.

18. Cloudzz

Cloudzz Guardian

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Rain
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    League of Legends, Overwatch, BraveFrontier(Duh)
    It's not hard to follow the forum rules. It's either you do or don't. Sure a few hiccups here and their, but you make the effort to improve and stay positive. These big drama wars are just plain stupid and should not be using the forums as the battlefield over a few friends being banned. Sure you can try to defend your friend, but making those threads to try to bait people in to be apart of it is just too far.
    I've been on the forums for awhile and in all honesty, I have never read the ToS. I just use common sense and logic and apply it to what I post, and from there I can see what is appropriate and what is not.

RainyRai, Josh, Khaotil and 2 others like this.
  19. Popehappycat

Popehappycat Moros

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Personally, I'm like to say I'm a little sad I missed all the juicy stuff. :p

That said, Josh got me pregnant and now he won't support Joshy Jr. 100% true as verified by me. Also, I'm a guy.

kitkitkit and IAMDA like this.
  20. aznljgame2001

aznljgame2001 Diablo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grandt Kanon Feeva Rosetta Quaid Zelnite Griel
    Level:
    2XX
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 4
    Currently Playing:
    BF
    I'm a new player, a new member to the forum, I don't know anyone, and I don't know anything.

From my perspective. All i see are post where Admin/Mods keep on defending themselves against other forum members for their action. there are NUMEROUS post where they have state clearly that they did not ban people just for talking or dislike a member or voicing an opinion but rather for breaking the rules. they have explained numerous time that they have given warning(s) prior to banning. but people still keep on asking question why are they banned etc..if you have a question or asking for a friend, make a PM to them mods. don't go making threads complaining about it. Mods are now even making threads explaining to all of you people why they are getting banned. from what i read. it's like this. warning, warning, talking, temp ban, perm ban. seems like the people that got perm banned had it coming long long time ago. maybe they thought it would never happen until shit got real. It's like a child pushing a parent to see how far they can push before they really do get punished.

i think the general consensus is this...
    this is a forum, a brave frontier forum, used for people to talk about BF and ask and get advice from the community. <-- that's it, plain and simple..
    heck, I'm a newbie that's still constantly asking for advice, and there are people like @Azure_Seiryuu @Acyl that's always giving advice out that helps the community. Only bad thing i came across this forum was some guy calling me a wuss for not spending more money on sacrificing to the RNGesus lol.(even though later i did and sitll got nothing..) other than that everyone is fairly helpful. (a newbie perspective)

I don't know Jastin or Windel/gimu guy i only added jastin once as friend from forum but he deleted me anyway 2 day later so no big deal. I haven't seen a lot of negativity but then again i don't lurk on the forum and read through every thread.

I think If the Admin is coming out clearly explaining and saying that they banned people for breaking rules and did give warning in advance, we as the community should believe it. Heck i never read any forum rules on any forum i joined and so far i never got any warning or bans from any forum in my 10+ gaming years. because one simple line. Treat people the way you want to be treated. that's it. I know I don't need to read any rules because i never treat people badly...

just my $.02 :p:lol:

kitkitkit, Josh, Khaotil and 2 others like this.