Recent wave of Bans

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by Josh, Apr 30, 2015.

1. cambo

cambo Ascended

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Kikuri/Magress
    Level:
    2xx
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    FFX-2, FFXIII, FFXIII-2, KH2.5, FFXIV HW
    The main thing that is always going on in this forum is Gumi bashing, I'm always thinking about how much they're delaying things and bringing out new units the we don't necessarily need, but it's one thing that was always going to happen. In my opinion (I'm not sure if the mods are already doing this or not), but everyone that has bashed Gumi intentionally should get a strike there and then, no matter if it was intentional or not and it wasn't straight to them, they should get a strike just for that. Maybe a bit harsh, but every time (I know it's hard to keep up with all of them, and the mods will need help with it) there's a post made, message the thread maker and warn them about it, if they delete it within that day, they won't get an official warning, otherwise they will. If it's seen by any member, they should reply about the warnings that the OP and other contributors will most likely get, report it to the mods to have a look at and see if it's been taken down by the maker later that day. I know that the mods will get a lot of messages about it, but doing so will mean that less and less of these will be created. After a day of the thread being up, it will get taken down by a mod, and a warning will have been issued to the creator. Either that, or ban them for a day while the mod takes the thread down, with 3 temp bans (1 day, 3 days, 1 week) meaning a perma ban. And perma bans (or longer temp bans) for people that say anything or aim anything bad towards the mods, as without them, this forum would be a wreck, and we'd only have App Invasion (not something I liked, way too big of a forum for me) and the Gumi forum, there are probably others, but I don't know of them. This forum, in my opinion, is easily the best, friendliest, and best managed one there is for this game! I don't think anyone on this forum would like it to be fucked up.

If things get out of hand for the mods quite quickly, maybe have a trial temp mod spaces to see how some people will cope with things, and hire the better ones to be mods for the forum. I know that may be a long shot, but it's a way to see how people will undertake the job, I know if I was to get something, I would look out on a particular sub forum and try to keep up with what's happening there, report anything to any of the higher up mods and take action if I need to, but I would always seek out the superiors first until I get comfortable with doing it, then take it into my own hands with things. Just something to gain trust in some people. But, people are all different, some think some things maybe bad, others won't think it's too bad, but they should always be referred to, as @Eleiryn said earlier on.

2. Username

Username Skywalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Michele(L), Zenia(G), Bestie(O)
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Rank G_Gold, FF:RK
    Just to defend the mods for a bit and to pretty much ask players to lighten up if the recently banned people were close to them:

- I've been warned and temp banned for Gumi bashing before, only once each. Since then I've stopped. Both times, I PM'ed the mod who did the warning (it doesn't show, so I simply asked who was online and got lucky) and both times, they promptly responded what caused the warning. They were never hostile in the slightest and recognized my downward slope into negativity. Hell, I recognized it myself. I was (still am) sick of Gumi's shit, but it honestly looks bad and ruins overall happiness if I'm spouting Negative Nancy Nonsense on every post.

- I don't believe the mods are playing favorites. There are significantly more "annoying" forum members who are here (who you can Block btw, but @Eleiryn can't!), but they aren't negative.

- I personally know one of the members in particular (kainoa25) used to be extremely negative, and even tried to "lead brigades" against certain users. Since then he seemed to reform, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did something to push himself over the edge.

- The rest of the users were extremely active. Nobody wants to take life away from the forums and ban them without good reason. If they messed up repeatedly (it takes 5x for a permaban), it's on them.

Windel, Josh, Priya and 1 other person like this.
  3. Taikero

Taikero Apollo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya/Juno-Seto/Randolph/Zeruiah
    Level:
    289+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dungeon Rush
    I'm way more annoying than all the rest of you and I'm still here. Complete and living proof of this forum's leniency.

...No, but seriously, there are ways to be negative and even combative with others without breaking the rules. I've gotten into some tussles with other users on here (because they were, um, WRONG) and I didn't have to resort to childish behavior to stick them in their place.

I'm not always right either, but part of winning battles is accepting when you're on the losing side of one. Also, some battles aren't worth fighting, and as others have stated, this is a place for discussion, information, and entertainment. It's not for you to complain about the unicorn meat Gumi put in your food that gave you leprechaun cancer. There's a support group for that which meets every Thursday, but point is, it ain't here! I'm all for venting and getting things off your chest but if I see that Dragon's breath in every post I'm going to wonder where your toothbrush is so you can scrub that bad taste out of your mouth.

So make love, not war. Stay in school. Just say no and prevent forest fires you cool cats.

Eleiryn likes this.
  4. VetteD_SiN

VetteD_SiN Khaos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    skeleton king
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    the forum is very lenient. you guys dont wanna see strict.

Eleiryn, Josh and Khaotil like this.
  5. David Foster

David Foster

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Colt or by request
    Level:
    170+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 3
    Lol me and him got in a little argument once over haradon but after that he's been positive :)

6. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    My man. :D

Eleiryn likes this.
  7. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Almighty

Friend ID:
    xxxx40xxxx
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Dark Souls 3
    Oh, please, I'm one of the worst annoyances here to the ones that are left here now. I have been banned also.:D
    I cant muster up a single positive thought about Gumi most of the time. Always stating the negative, which ironically seems more closer to the truth then the statements of the optimists here.:confused:
    Gumi bashing is a weird thing here in general. A lot of us seem to agree with the statements made, so its not like we are totally wrong, we are united as a community, some just state their opinions more emotionally than others and that gets flagged as negativity... while some might see it as censorship of truth! The voice of the masses is being quelled down!:rofl:

I also like to somewhat jokingly bash people, which I'm used to among friends and isn't at all considered negative in my own perspective, but isn't quite the fitting behavior here. Sometimes I go too far, true. But sometimes I just feel like people here take things too seriously, thus my post gets flagged when I just wanted to put a smile to someones face (most of such people are banned now tho). And sometimes I feel like people overreact (I still chuckle when I remember gettign a warning for a post where I mentioned that Orna looks younger than Elize:rofl:)

Thing with rule breaking here, is that its just too random. Sometimes you go on as always for weeks, sometimes you get a warning. I cant grasp the instances of what's right or wrong here anymore. So its easier to not to worry about it too much and see what happens. I still try to be true to myself and post whats on my mind, somewhat taking notes form the rules and Josh's announcements, but I cannot follow them 100%.

So (for some of us at least) why is something that felt so normal so wrong now?:confused: It has to do with quantity. The more emotional people here, who also seem to be the biggest rule breakers/annoyances, are/were also the most active. The so called role models here aren't that active. Just a few to ten posts a day. I gather they just mostly chat among themselves somewhere else.... or in chat, dunno, I don't go there.
    So this left the forums a sort of empty playing field for the weird kids. We gathered in masses, created a sort of ecosystem what was most befitting to us and were happy (not all of us, sure, but the most active part).

Recently however, the mods decided to clean the playing field and upped their game. Lets be honest, things weren't so strict before. The bannings aside for now, the monitoring of negativity, thread derailment and even spoilers from JP has been upped - and this will lead to more bannings. This is totally disrupting the previous ecosystem here (well... the part where I belonged at least. Maybe we were indeed stomping over people who do not share our ideals, but they were just too small in numbers to make notice. Now they give notice via mods tho!:lol:). It's only a matter of time when even posts in Global forums containing mentioning of
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!
    need to be behind spoiler tags.
    :eek:

Now, I'm not saying its a bad thing, but I myself am not thrilled by all this, not my cup of tea. If I need to make an analogy: The mods planted seeds, left, visited just time to time, let the trees grow. Now they have decided to chop most of the trees, just leave a few alive to let things regrow.
    So yeah, here we are. Forums somewhat empty, new policies (same as old, but just more active) established and let's see how things regrow.:lol: If the mods stay more true to their rules/ideals during this process, then the new generation will take notice and the community will grow into something that the mods might not have to monitor that much anymore. But if the mods get too lax at some point, new generation is just gonna reach the point we here did atm.:D

8. IAMDA

IAMDA Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ❤ 송지효
    Level:
    Baddie. (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)
    Raid Class:
    RC 1
    Currently Playing:
    ✌ 마마무, AOA, 레드벨벳
    Not gonna post some crazy huge ass philosophical post on this matter. l come to talk BF, help members with content, chat with others (ex-members or not), get info on units since l'm too lazy to search on AI/reddit/etc. anyways, etc. Most people know me of being heavily sarcastic and carefree/easy-going and perverted. lf you read into what l say sometimes too seriously, you might misunderstand me. Anything l say is usually an opinion or if l offend anyone (to this point l don't think l ever have), l say sorry.

l've done my fair share of Gumi bashing, and honestly l still do, cause until they do shit better, they're gonna get bashed yo. l spent real $$$ on this game, l have every right to complain. The forum might've changed a bit, but l come to talk BF honestly, and l'm not gonna get in between of any drama cause l don't feel like l have to 'choose a side' or anything, l'm friends with everyone and it's always been that way, as tough as it might be sometimes, cause it is awkward, and l think slightly people are being a bit sensitive, but it's whatever. lf someone has an issue with me, they can PM me or something, but since nobody has, l think things have gone well for me. :D

Being one of the most active comp players in BF3 PS3 comp scene, l endured maybe 2+ years of REAL drama that was honestly 50x worst than this, and even later on. Video Games/Drama/lnternet, shit happens. l ain't about that drama cause #DramaFreeZone with me man. Honestly, needs more kaypawp. Girl groups, put you at ease. :rolleyes:

PS: l live a stressful depressing life as it is, l go to the internet for other stuff, some l might not proud of (lawl). :oops::rofl:

9. Aria Kricket

Aria Kricket Archangel

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell/Cardes
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 4
    Quick 2 cents of my own:

I have been warned by @Eleiryn once, and I can say that Eleiryn could have banned me for what I did.
    But she's a mod, and she FOLLOWS HER MOD RULES. Aka: she could hate me but she adheres to the rules and doesn't permaban me for one or two things I did.

As the mods stick to the rules, so should the members. One or two REASONABLE hate-on-Gumi posts should be okay, but more than that is inviting discord.

10. Khaotil

Khaotil EU Guardian Moderator

Server:
    European
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Heinrich 7* - Herald of Yggdrasil
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 1
    It's quite incredible how many perfectly reasonnable and thoughtful members we have in this forum!...

Is this really internet? :eek:

99tails likes this.
  11. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    I am also really impressed by some of the responses here.

Stay awesome guys. (y)

12. Sustainer

Sustainer The Engineer Moderator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Azurai + whatever(TheywillkillmeifItakehimdown)
    Level:
    430+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dying Light, D3:UEE, Fallout 4
    A few things just to take a step back and look at this situation, from my POV.. I feel at least on the forum side of things I have had a cordial to neutral relationship to all the parties involved, never had any altercations, nor have I directly moderated any of you - have been part of discussions on moderation actions however.

Just ask yourself – why the heck would we go randomly banning people? Or banning with no reason? Here are some of the popular things I've heard/seen.

For notoriety! - Nope, all of us contribute in some manner. I crunch numbers, Elly does analysis, Priya does community events, Recca is the news hound, Alrisha gives awesome advice and tips.

Due to corruption! - Again, who would be the one corrupting us? I know my bank account has been hundreds of thousands of dollars in the rich since I started being a mo.. waitasec – I have not gotten any form of monetary compensation for the thousands of hours I've spent on these forums. Same for the other mods.

They have an agenda! - Feel free to let me know what this is.. I know there is some shadow council out there that is pulling the strings for this entire forum. ILLUMIN... actually no.. none of that.

They hate me! - No, I promise you, as mods we have other posters who we dislike MUCH more than the crew that are stirring up shit at the moment. Granted, they certainly are not winning any popularity contests atm..

How about some type of reasoning/analysis?

For the sake of arguments, lets just apply Occam's razor to this situation... In that the simplest explanation is the most probable.

Anything involving conspiracy/corruption is out, has way too many moving parts, and generally requires some form of compensation/kickback/benefit. There is none of that gained by any of the mods. We are known in the community for our contributions, not our actions.

Anything involving personality conflicts IMO is also out, as said above, there are A LOT more players I would love to randomly ban, the other mods certainly have their own lists as well. They are not banned as we recognize it is a personality thing, we hand those off to other mods and have them act on it (Ie Zace earlier the week), I asked someone else to take a look into the post and see what their thoughts were. I was too deep in argument to think clearly, so I opted to have a 3rd party look into it, who was not involved.

The mods are drunk on power! Nope.. don't think that either, outside the 3-4 posters that have been banned, how many others have had aggressive moderation done. I'd also love to see what this power is..

How about the likely answer, and IMO the simplest.

The users were moderated/banned because they broke the rules, refused to change and are now actively chatting in a group, which has the spin off effect of generating distrust/anger towards the forum population/mods.

Truly, prior to this point, none of us had even considered Hiro as a poster outside his Avatar(no offense to him) – Zero reports, zero warnings, zero Pms(I checked) to change his behavior. How would he have been victimized? The answer is – he wasn't been by us, he has gotten whipped up in a frenzy over injustice by a group of people and decided to martyr himself for no.... reason.

Truly (again, not taking away from him) he is not that high enough of a profile poster to illicit that much drama. I don't hate the guy, can't say I particularly like him, I just can't say I had really thought anything about him before yesterday outside his avatar image(which was awesome). At least bringing his concerns to the staff may have worked before pulling the trigger.

Feel free to pick away whatever you like, I appreciate that the parties involved seem to have a habit of cherry picking/arguing on specific points. I just don't believe any of you have an axe to grind with me.

Windel, ZURA, aznljgame2001 and 3 others like this.
  13. kitkitkit

kitkitkit Almighty

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Elza
    Level:
    200+
    Hunter Rank:
    I won't address everything as I feel individual posters have done a good job of summing things up, but here are some additional thoughts:
    1. Like so many before me have stated, this is a website/forum for a mobile game. What people don't sometimes remember, this is NOT a job for the moderators. They too, go to school/work, have families/social lives. They should not be expected to babysit, nor be required to be active 24/7 to moderate.
    2. Keeping in mind I have been lurking this forums for almost a year now (June would be 1-year). I have seen a few people talking about 'back in the day', and about things changing. I want to address the fact that the forum population has pretty much blown up since 'back in the day'. There are way more users and way more topics every day.
      1. The mods can't be expected to be 'big brother' (everywhere all the time), so sometimes things can be missed. This doesn't not mean they show favouritism or are inconsistent.
      2. Yes Gumi bashing in the past was tolerated, but I think it tolerated because it was more seen as a joke. Kinda like 'oh look what they have done now'. It shortly thereafter, turned to serious anger and 'everyone grab your pitchforks'. Additionally, it was more or less an occasional thread here and there. Negativity is now rampant.
    3. Addressing negativity… Shit happens, we talk about it, sometimes it is negative – this is fine. But when an individual is posting mostly negative things, it adds no value. Gumi has no affiliation to this site, so it is a waste of time.
    Overall, I think the mods are doing a great job keeping this community healthy and positive. We as a population need to do a better job of maintaining that helpful, positive environment that attracted me 'way back in the day'.

Windel, Priya, Eleiryn and 1 other person like this.
  14. Popehappycat

Popehappycat Moros

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I'm going back to the Battlefield 4 forums, I haven't been call a lolgayz0rn00b in a while.

IAMDA likes this.
  15. Kiyoji21

Kiyoji21 Ouranous

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Stuff
    Level:
    700+
    This thread was a doozy. But I wanted to thank the staff here for actually doing their jobs and helping to keep the forum a more habitable place. With a playerbase as large as this one, there are bound to be a lot of people who are hostile and whatnot. So, I am very glad I do not have to see that kind of stuff often. Sure Gumi needs a swift kick in the ass sometimes, but I think keeping Gumi bashing to a minimum creates a much better atmosphere and cuts down on the overall negativity felt.

I'm not exactly sure why grown men/women feel the need to create high school drama on a gaming forum, but hey, whatever floats their boats. We all agree to the ToS when we make accounts; I think it's pretty fair to uphold the consequences of your actions if you break them. Plain and simple.

Anyway, thanks again to the staff. I'm sure glad the gaming forum I moderate has a much smaller playerbase. I now see the amount of work that is needed to maintain a place such as this. (y)

Eleiryn likes this.
  16. Khaled

Khaled Commander

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Michelle, Kikuri, Sefia, Zeban, Duel GX, Mega, Cayena
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    As far as some forums i have been, i never see a mod banning people for no reason (god forbid me find one please), I am not too active as a forumgoers, however i lurk around a lot and post here and there, I think i could believe when someone got banned he/she/it already go through the required procedure for permabanned

And if someone find it hard to believe if his/her friend got banned, rather than starting a thread about why x got banned amd starting a hate war, it is much a smarter decision to pm the mod and ask for a personal discussion in skype or line, starting an open discussion about why someone is banned is equal to a person behind a conspiracy to start a war