Replacing Shion as Leader of my squad?

Discussion in 'Units & Squads' started by Rixien, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Rixien

Rixien

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Shion
    My current squad is composed of Shion, Fei and Fang, Beiorg, Hisui, and Felice. I'm also not too sure about Fei and Fang, but I think research has sugested I use them. Are there any units I could replace Shion with, and are there any units that would do better than Fei and Fang?

Dark units: Sonia, Shion, Zeek, Ramlethal, Elza, Charis
    Light units: Kira, Garrel, Janice, Diastima, Elphelt, Sirius, Layla, Krishna, Agress, Fina (old version), Allanon, Gabriela
    Fire units: Natalame, Ciara, Bestie, Vermillion, Kulyuk, Rengaku, Alessa
    Water units: Savia, Farzen, Soleil, Hugh, Charlotte, Medina, Iris, Sareas, Vern, Azami, Mariela, Asto
    Earth units: Felice, Hisui, Serge, Mariletta, Faelan, Tora, Libera, Rozalia, Lanza, Freed, Baro, Fei and Fang
    Thunder units: Eleanor, Ewan, Zora, Ragra, Kanon, Merkabah, Silas, Fizz, Beiorg,

Also, what kind of unit might I want to consider when selecting friend units for higher level content?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    I typed up a longer post but accidentally fucked up an edit and deleted the thing. So here's the profanity-laden cliff notes instead.

Shion is only a levelling lead. Shion lead is shit if you're doing stuff that doesn't actually give account XP, e.g. raid, guild raid.

Shion isn't actually doing anything in your existing squad aside from element add and OD fill (you don't need his atk/def/rec buff as Beiorg and Hisui cover stat buffs). Your squad has fuck-all for healing though so most likely you'd rejig squad to solve your nearly complete fucking lack of heals.

Hard content stuff uses dmg reduction/mitigation leads. The thing you have to remember is there are two kinds of dmg reduction/mit, one kind gives 20% dmg reduction/mit after X condition is met. The other kind gives 10-15% mitigation (or whatever other value) straight up, no condition needed, it just works all the time.

Generally the 20% dmg reduction/mit version is better, but you can only use one of this kind of leader. Can't use two - this kind of lead DOES NOT STACK. So if you use one of these, the friend unit has to be one of those 10-15% mit leads which work all the time.

You have... Mariela, Hisui, Fei and Fang, Beiorg, Alessa, etc. as 20% dmg reduction/mit after X condition leads, and Rozalia, Eleanor, as always-working mit leads (but bear in mind Rozalia and Eleanor only reduce dmg vs. fire/water/earth/thunder bosses and do fuck all vs. light/dark)

In practice, what this means is you probably would use Mariela (highly recommended) or maybe Hisui as as your squad lead in trial/GGC boss fights, then use a Regil friend, maybe Jack-O' or Azurai friend.

For raid/quest situations, you would ideally use Fei and Fang lead (they ARE a mitigation lead, that's one reason why people recommend them to you), then use Regil, Jack-O', Azurai friend.

Make Regil, Jack-O', and Azurai friends, in other words.

SQUAD BUILDS:

:water:Mariela, :water:Hugh (or Elza), :earth:Hisui, :light:Gabriela, :thunder:Zora

- Mariela lead for hard boss fights, Hugh/Elza lead for easier shit. Elza SP BB fill when squad sparks if you use her. SP Gabriela or Mariela for burst heal, SP Gabriela for heal over three turns (don't need to SP Gabriela for heal over three turns if Elza is in squad)
    - Zora is for ailments and debuffs, can be swapped for something else if this isn't needed (but a lot of bosses do want this, so)
    - Gabriela UBB for 80% angel idol safety net - 80% chance units don't die when killed

:earth:Fei and Fang (or Ramlethal), :earth:Hisui, :earth:Felice, :light:Gabriela, :thunder:Zora
    - Fei and Fang lead for easier stuff (or Ramlethal), Hisui lead for harder boss fights
    - Ramlethal is alternative for Fei and Fang here because higher spark dmg buff value, better nuke
    - SP Hisui for ailment removal, SP Gabriela for heals

You can also do a Shion UBB spam build I guess but that's kind of a gimmick squad, works to cheese some stuff, doesn't work for other bosses.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Rixien likes this.
  3. Rixien

Rixien

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Shion
    I dunno if it was cut short, but I did receive an email notification with this longer looking bit I think you mentioned.

Thanks a lot for all this stuff, because there's enough information to use as a reference for what I can only guess will be weeks to months to come lol

4. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    The bit that was messaged to you directly is the original post, yeah. More detail, functionally the same advice, a few more notes on other alternatives (e.g. Shion UBB spam team, which I didn't bother elaborating on in the short version I re-typed).

The short version does have an additional bit regarding use of Ramlethal instead of Fei and Fang. Basically the thing with Fei and Fang is they DO have a mitigation lead skill (20% mit after 60 BC gained), but since it is BC drop based it isn't super reliable in hard boss fights. It still gets used as a lead for things like raid. However if you don't want to use Fei and Fang for whatever reason, then... you'd either use Ramlethal as a direct substitution for Fei and Fang in builds... or you'd use a build version which employs Hugh/Elza.

(Ramlethal/Fei and Fang are spark dmg buffers, but still need a separate unit, Felice, to provide spark fills BB gauge ... Hugh and Elza can do spark dmg buff and sparks fill BB gauge within the same slot)

Ramlethal is a stronger spark dmg buffer than all the other spark dmg buffers listed here (the others are not weak, Ramlethal has 30% more than 'average'). Technically Felice can be SP'd to do spark dmg buff as well, but this is not recommended as Felice's spark dmg buff is significantly weaker than average.