Superior Nippon Steel Batch Review

Discussion in 'Unit Reviews' started by Eleiryn, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    [​IMG]

Since the weeaboo trio are finally here, we might as well have a happy little discussion of what they actually do and how recent global exclusives have altered their value compared to JP. As always, this is a global-focused review, so the current landscape of GEs and LEs will be considered heavily considering their ubiquity.

It's been a while, so pls no bully if my rustiness is obvious

[​IMG]
    Ronald McDonald: Samurai Edition
    HP: 9454 | ATK: 3856 | DEF: 2994 | REC: 2965
    LS: 6BC/turn, 40% allstats, 30% atk/def/rec when BB > 50%
    BB: 20 hits, 10BC fill, 7BC/turn, 50% ares, 35% BCHC
    SBB: 2 hits (15DC/hit), 10BC fill, 10BC/spark (self), 30% of 50% spark crit, 35%BCHC, 70% def->atk convert (56 BC)
    UBB: 2 hits (25DC/hit) 999BC fill, 50BC/turn, 300% crit damage, 100% chance of +150% spark vulnerability
    ES: 50% spark (self) / 100% of 2-3BC when attacked (self)

Enhancements:
    • 20SP: +50% ATK
    • 20SP: +50% DEF
    • 30SP: +70% spark (self)
    • 10SP :70->100% spark (self)
    • 10SP: +50% Crit damage
    • 10SP: LS 40->50% allstats
    • 40SP: 10->12 BC fill on BB/SBB
    • 60SP: add 8% OD fill on BB/SBB

He has no style
    He has no grace
    This Kong samurai
    Has a funny face

Overview: Rengaku McDonald is a strange combination of nuke, support, and utility who can't quite seem to decide what he wants to do with his life, doing few of those jobs particularly well but doing all of them well enough to be worth considering. His BC generation is probably his strongest suit, with massive instafill, regen, ares, and of course 35% BC drop - this some Felice level shit right here, and despite his horrible hitcount, each hit having good DC means hat he's still above average in DC overall. The OD fill via SP is incredibly valuable and crucial to actually getting value to him, and offers rare but extremely high value utility - being able to use UBB more often in drawn-out raids or deal with Karma Pasta's bullshit is very valuable. The attack convert is also exceptionally high value, matching Ensa's pound for pound and beating pretty much everyone else; considering their scaling, attack converts of this caliber will generally offer somewhere around the equivalent of a 250-300% attack buff. The only downside is having to use BB every few turns to access his BC regen and Ares effects, which isn't the end of the world but does require you to track those buff timers.

His individual damage, despite his attack stat and self-spark buff, tends to not be particularly impressive - a mediocre SBB multiplier really doesn't do much to help him unless you invest heavily in his self-spark bonus. His team damage... well, varies heavily. Only 2 hits means you're sacrificing a lot of sparks on other people - so even if you get his personal damage to be reasonable your team damage is liable to suffer to some degree. In short, while he's not BAD as killing stuff, he's not going to replace killing machines like Ensa, Azurai, or even Eze as a sheer damage monster.

Role: Rengaku is a really weird unit with an unconventional, almost unique, mix of strengths. Most of his buffs are fairly rare and useful, and he's pretty easy to fit into teams that are dumping Zeruiah for Ark or something similar, taking the role of hella BC gen and some other useful stuff like OD fill while still contributing respectable damage. He also works well with units like Eze, Vern, and Zero, allowing you to replicate Ensa's spark+atk convert contribution; since BB mod buffs are incredibly common anyways (sup Azurai/Sirius), this makes it easier to use spark buffers not named Ensa without having to feel like you're gimping yourself - Ensa is still stupid good, he just helps her competitors function comparatively.

He is a dedicated sub who should NEVER be used as a lead outside of maybe CA (rip in pizza) as a ghetto Randolph - his LS is trash damage and BC gen wise and mediocre for survivability in 'real' content.

Builds: put simply, I think that OD fill is about as close to a requirement as you can get - it's something that you can never have too much of, stacks fine with other OD fillers, and is incredibly valuable in all kinds of difficult content these days. So he really only has 40SP to work with. Most of his options either straight suck or are mediocre; crit damage by itself is useless (and basically all crit buffers nowadays do crit chance AND damage anyways), 10->12 instafill isn't a big change, his LS is unusably bad regardless of upgrade, etc. That pretty much leaves you with either 100% self-spark damage or 50% atk/def; the former is infinitely better for general usage and damage, the latter is... terrible outside of CA, maybe colosseum/arena if you legitimately have no other good leads OR +1 hit subs and for some reason really want to use him.

So yeah - 60SP for 8% OD fill, 40SP for 70->100% self-spark, call it a day.

Value: I believe Rengaku is fairly heavily underrated as a unit and absolutely worth using if you have one, but at the same time I don't think he's gamechanging enough to be worth burning potentially 30+ summons for. He's easy to fit into most teams and frees up SP on some units (ex. Juno) while slightly weakening Zeruiah's still-existing near-stranglehold on the BCHC buff slot, though, which is pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    Kimono Kirito Azami

HP: 9086 | ATK: 4086 | DEF: 3002 | REC: 3097
    LS: +100% atk vs ailing enemy, 125% elemental weakness damage, 50% HP/ATK, 6BC fill on >10k damage (1/turn)
    BB: 16 hits, 3-6% HP drain (50% chance), +160% atk vs ailed enemy, 15% injury/sick/weak to attack, 10% poison/para/curse to attack
    SBB: 20 hits, 3-6% HP drain (50% chance), +160% atk vs ailed enemy, 75% of every ailment inflicted (self), 50% elemental weakness damage
    UBB: 22 hits, 300% atk vs ailed enemy, 300% attack, 100% all ailments, 300% elemental weakness damage
    ES: 50% chance of 5-8% HP drain (self), 8-10% ailment infliction (self)
    (The HP drain buff on BB/SBB is TO TEAM, not self only, touchandswipe unit guide is inaccurate on this note)

Enhancements:
    • 20SP: +20% allstats (self)
    • 10SP: 0-100% ATK based on HP
    • 20SP: +1 hit
    • 30SP: +50% elemental weakness damage
    • 30SP: 160->190% ailed enemy attack on BB/SBB
    • 60SP: add chance of all ailments when struck buff to BB/SBB (10-15%)
    • 20SP: 50->60% chance of HP drain on BB/SBB buff
    • 40SP: 3->4 turn UBB buff duration

Overview: Okay, I don't want to blow anyone's mind here, but Azami is actually a somewhat ailment focused unit. Far more auto-friendly as an ailment inflictor than Ensa (though with much lower chances), and with much higher infliction rates than Lance, she basically exists to put ailments on the bad guys with a minimum of fuss or turning off autobattle, and adds some inconsistent (albeit strong) healing and some usually-worthless elemental weakness damage to an increasingly common but still good ailment attack buff. For anyone interested, Ensa still OBLITERATES her at the role when using BB vs 1-2 targets - random target BB/SBBs check for procs every hit rather than per BB, so you're looking at 99.99%+ chance with Ensa even versus heavy resistance vs 75% pre-resistances with Azami that will usually end up more in the 30-50% range. So, if all you want is reliable ailments+190% ailment attack, Azami is 100% dead on arrival. However, the elemental damage and HP drain allow Azami to have a solid niche in non-Ensa-using teams that still want ailments for a given bit of content.

Role: Well, we've already kinda established that Ensa-Taya rips off her head and shits down her throat as an ailment infliction option, so that doesn't really bode well for an ailment-focused unit. And Ensa hits a million times harder than her, and has way better offensive buffs, and a much better LS, and you can use a friend one, and... yeah.

If you don't have an Ensa of your own and don't want to use a friend one, though, Azami is your best option for ailment infliction by a huge margin, so that's cool. The value of that, much like her forebearers in Fadahl, Tora, etc., varies by content - if the content requires it she's usable, if not she's trash.

The +1 hit enhancement allows her to function extremely well as an Arena sub, or work pretty well in Colosseum; >4k attack as lord means she hits harder than the fist of the north star with +1 hit, and Water element means she doesn't get rekt in ripperoni by Miku leads. She does kinda suck against Ravenna though, and no ES angel idol, so I'd hesitate about using her in colo - but for arena she works wonderfully with a Selena lead. Quite frankly, for Ensa owners, this is about the best Azami will do for you.

Builds: Frankly, most of her SP options suck. Her UBB is bad enough you'd rarely use it in the first place, much less want it to last an extra turn, and self-EWD is only ever useful vs Fire units - and most bosses these days are either completely immune or ignore the first 100-200% of your bonus EWD, meaning that even with her LS and SBB/SP buffs she may not be hitting any harder vs a fire guy than the average Earth unit with a Water element buff. Honestly I'd just boil her Enhancement options down to the following, and even this is pushing it.
    • 20SP: +20% allstats (self)
    • 10SP: 0-100% ATK based on HP
    • 20SP: +1 hit
    • 30SP: 160->190% ailed enemy attack on BB/SBB
    • 60SP: add chance of all ailments when struck buff to BB/SBB (10-15%)

For an Arena/Colosseum focused Azami, the distribution is easy: 50SP to get +1 hit, up to 100% attack, and 20% allstats. You can just stop SP leveling her at that point, everything else she has is literally worthless for those kinds of battles.

For a PVE raid/boss/etc Azami, you might as well maximize her ailment infliction with ailments when struck (ESPECIALLY in raid), but then you can't afford ailment attack AND 20% allstats because Alim hates us apparently. I'd consider the allstats more valuable personally, leading to 60SP ailment when attacked buff, 20SP allstats, and 20sp remaining, which can either be ignored - honestly the rest of her options suck for general usage - or tossed into +1 hit or 0-100% atk based on HP, your call. Neither of them will really do much for her in general.

That said, you may notice a certain level of overlap in the above paragraphs - both of them suggest 20% allstats and +1 hit. You can compromise by going for ailments when attacked, +1 hit, and 20% allstats to allow her to function solidly in both general PVE and PVP - which would honestly be my suggested overall build. The 0->100% attack option is ideal for PVP Azami due to allowing her to 1rko more things in arena/colosseum, but for the most part it won't make much of a difference.

Value: Aside from being pretty hot for a budget Kirito, Azami just got dumpstered really fucking hard by the Ensa-Taya train. She is objectively and IMMENSELY outclassed at her primary role, to the point that there's not even a practical comparison - Ensa-Taya is unrivaled in the game's history for sheer ailment power AND brings an incredible number of other buffs to the table, including a 190% ailment attack buff that she doesn't even have to pay SP for. Considering that Ensa is both a common friend lead and has a fantastic LS for all sorts of usage, and Azami is simply dead on arrival as an ailment inflictor. She does have fairly strong usage as an arena/to some degree colosseum killing machine, but the lack of angel idol or huge tankiness and Ravenna weakness hurts her a lot in colosseum, and arena these days is sort of a Mifune/Mizerka flavored shitstorm, so... yeah. She doesn't have much going for her.

[​IMG]
    Warrior Waifu Izuna

HP: 9522 | ATK: 3443 | DEF: 3412 | REC: 3243
    LS: 100% spark, 10% of 20% of IT'S FUCKING NOTHING, FUCK SPARK CRIT, 50% HP/atk
    BB: 19 hits, 100% spark, 10% chance of -20% enemy atk, 30% chance of -50% enemy atk/def (self)
    SBB: 23 hits, 100% spark, 20% chance of -20% enemy atk, 20% HP->atk convert, 30% chance of -50% enemy atk/def (self)
    UBB: 26 hits, 100% chance to heal 75% of damage taken when attacked, 50% HP->atk, 300% spark, 100% chance of -80% enemy atk/def
    ES: 20% chance of 20% damage reduction (self), 2x 40% chance angel idol (self)

Enhancements:
    • 20SP: 20% allstats
    • 10SP: null debuffs (self)
    • 10SP: null ignore def (self)
    • 20SP: null elemental damage (self)
    • 20SP: null crits (self)
    • 20SP: 100->120% spark damage on LS
    • 30SP: adds ailment cure to BB/SBB
    • 20SP: null ailments (requires the 30SP cure)
    • 50SP: 100->130% spark on BB/SBB, 300->330% spark on UBB

Overview: Yo can I just say that A. polearms of all kinds are cool as fuck and B. ALIM WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU 7* IZUNA IS 10X COOLER THAN 8*. Seriously wtf, warrior waifu vs even my edges have edges someone call NATO we have a fucking war crime on our hands.

On a far more boring mechanical note, Izuna is yet another spark buffer, albeit a little more creative than most since she offers a lot of weird kinds of utility - she shares an attack convert with Ensa, but is otherwise a more defensive option, offering strong attack down capabilities (good for Endless FG and Karma Pasta) and potentially even a cure effect via SP, as well as having about 5 million versions of "fuck you I'm immune to that" in her various SP options. Depending on how you build her, she's generally going to fill a role as a more defensive-oriented spark buffer, both individually tankier than most and helping your team survive as well. She does pay heavily for this though, with atrocious offense compared to her most direct competition - Ensa, Zero, Eze, and Vern in particular all offer more offensive buffs, all have significantly higher base attack, and most have "strong" to "fucking retarded" self-buffs of various kinds that ensure they will dumpster her in the wise of individual and team damage - Eze literally cannot stop sucking spark/crit dick and even Ensa, who usually doesn't buy her personal self-spark SP option, still has incredible HP scaling damage and an attack based on HP self-buff to ensure that she hits the attack cap and sits her FINE ass the fuck down there. Almost as fine as her legs, god damn @Sustainer may be on to something with that stocking fetisANYWAYS RIGHT REVIEWS AND STUFF.

Role: Izuna exists as a more defensive spark buffer option - she still offers strong offense via a competitive spark buff and passable hp->atk buff, but the convert is significantly weaker than Ensa and Renzaku's alternatives, and Azurai already offers the same hp->atk buff (and a hp->def... and everything fucking else) and is super common so unless your convert is well above average a la Rengaku/Ensa I don't think it's really a big selling point. On the flip side, none of them can inflict much in the wise of attack down or cure your team, so she definitely has a solid niche to call her own that isn't just "ghetto Ensa" like SOME PEOPLE cough Azami. She works well with X->def buffers in team to cover both converts simply on SBB with no BB fuckery needed a la Azurai.

Unfortunately, her LS is fairly mediocre damage/survivability wise and offers 0 BC gen, so she's not an especially great lead compared to the alternatives, meaning she's only really solid as a sub, and most content doesn't really require attack down so you're generally better off just using one of the offensive spark buffers - especially given how ridiculously common they are as friend leads. Izuna basically exists for Endless FG and other super hard content where you want a spark buff for damage, but also want a bunch of attack down - and even then there are other options for the attack down (ex. Miku) that would allow you to use far better offensive spark buffers in her slot.

Builds: Izuna actually has a decent variety of legit builds, at least for an Alim unit - depending mostly on how supportey you want to go with her.

50SP spark buff is a given for any sort of damage role (and why the fuck are you using a spark+atk convert buffer if you don't want damage?), but the remaining 50 SP are up for grabs.

Nullifying debuffs, element, and def ignore to self are all fairly niche - certainly usable but not ideal in most situations; nullifying crit is great if you don't have/use/SP Lara/Ark but worthless if you do (and damn near every team uses one or both these days and will for a long time, so... yea). That mostly leaves you with 20% allstats, Cure, and ailment immunity to self. Personally I'd just go allstats and Cure and give her immunity via spheres, but if she's a dedicated cleanser there's nothing wrong with cure+self-immunity either, you're losing a chunk of HP/DEF though so consider sphering her a little more defensively as a result.

Value: How 'good' Izuna really is lies heavily in the eye of the beholder. She's definitely usable regardless, but her middling damage options (both individual and to team) holds her back a lot compared to 'meta' spark buffers in most content, so she's a bit niche at best. She is fairly good within that niche though, so depending on how much you like attack down she MAY be worth summoning for. Her real problem though is just that most meta spark buffers offer so much these days, utility included, that it's almost hard NOT to have one in your team already - Ensa in particular with her amazing BC on spark buff, but Vern and Zero help too. Shit, even Rosetta is still solid and underrated, both in LS and SBB, she offers more BC on spark than God and some pretty nice healing to go with it. So all things considered, I'm not really a big fan of Izuna - I absolutely accept and acknowledge that she is 100% usable and situationally strong, but I don't really feel she's particularly crucial as a unit.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    RainyRai, MOGF, insert and 19 others like this.
  2. Taikero

Taikero Apollo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya/Juno-Seto/Randolph/Zeruiah
    Level:
    289+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Magic Rush: Heroes | Dungeon Rush
    I love how the entire review and justification for all of these units can be summarized as either "I don't have Ensa-Taya." or "I have Ensa-Taya but I want to use somebody else because....I'm original. Yeah, that's it."

I will say Izuna has that sweet Angel Idol ES so that is a bit nice for Colosseum.

3. Zaegar

Zaegar Suppressor

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    245xx55135
    Leader:
    Rain/ Zelnite / Ark
    Level:
    So far yet so near
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FFXIV-heavensward - 7K
    I really missed those reviews... :')

4. ApexLegends

ApexLegends

Leader:
    No longer active.
    "Yo can I just say that A. polearms of all kinds are cool as fuck and B. ALIM WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU 7* IZUNA IS 10X COOLER THAN 8*. Seriously wtf, warrior waifu vs even my edges have edges someone call NATO we have a fucking war crime on our hands."

^ That's the highlight of this review. WHY ALIM?!

5. HeroOfLightPKN

HeroOfLightPKN Phoebus

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Retired
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    It feels like it's been forever since I seen a funny Elly review

6. DangQuang

DangQuang Master

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Quaid
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Elei doing review again? ELEI DOING REVIEWS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We miss ur review Eleiryn!!!

7. Jimfear83

Jimfear83 Slumber God

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Goddamn, I missed these so much.

RainyRai, Kyrian and Eleiryn like this.
  8. Israfie

Israfie The Gif Man

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    867-5309
    Leader:
    Gravion
    Serious question because i'm too lazy to check touchandswipe.

Do Izuna and Trap Kirito attack on BB/SBB?

9. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Yep!

Israfie likes this.
  10. Kyrian

Kyrian Twilight

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya/Ark/Azurai
    Level:
    560+
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    BF, FFBE
    Excellent review as always Eleiryn! (y)

Keep it up! I missed these so much! :D

Eleiryn likes this.
  11. NexCore

NexCore Commander

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Gazia-sama
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, Devil Maker, Ayakashi Ghost Guild
    Ok its been a while from the last time I saw this kind of post, Ive missed them :'v

Sent from here to there

Eleiryn likes this.
  12. RyAnime Valentine

RyAnime Valentine Radiance

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    ~
    Leader:
    Legendary Thief Zelnite
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, FFBX, PotK
    Nice review once again @Eleiryn!(y)
    I see your back at it like on some "unfinished bid-ness" sh*t. I know i'll be pulling for the "weebo-trio":rofl:Lol

Eleiryn likes this.
  13. HolyThunderOfAtharva

HolyThunderOfAtharva Warlord

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Fulgur Halcyon Eze
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Dynasty Warriors 8, BF Global, FFRK, DW GUNDAM 3
    Never thought you do this thing again :p

Eleiryn likes this.
  14. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Yeaaaaa I probably deserve that. It's so easy to slip into a rut and just NOT do it, but a few good folks talked me into trying it again recently, and I want to contribute more than just shitposting for once, so... here we are again.

RainyRai, NexCore, calvin74 and 2 others like this.
  15. DeltaHorizon020

DeltaHorizon020 Khaos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Felice,Azurai,Zelnite etc etc
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Haha. Honestly I want to make a forum about my full opinion of this batch. Allwell, I'm too late anyways. And it's nice to see you getting back reviewing units again which I didn't see from you very much Eleiryn (y) I hope you keep doing this in the future. But yeah, Honestly though most of these units on this batch seems really lackluster and Rengaku is my least favorite in terms of skillsets and yeah, His artwork scared the hell out of me!!!! Azami is actually pretty useful in Pandemix gate even if some people had cleared it and yeah, She's slightly revitalized by Stein IMO.

Eleiryn likes this.
  16. RyAnime Valentine

RyAnime Valentine Radiance

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    ~
    Leader:
    Legendary Thief Zelnite
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, FFBX, PotK
    ;)I feelz u 'E'!
    d1c42ef5be42da7bc0655810daad514e.jpg
    Yeah, i too am coming outta my little "funk-mode" ordeal with the help\encouragement from some good folk i run with:cool:

Eleiryn likes this.
  17. HeroOfLightPKN

HeroOfLightPKN Phoebus

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Retired
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    So I didn't think I'd have the cash to pull, but I had a bit to try so I bought one of the 2nd and the third ticket bundles.

Got 3 WAhhhhhhh donk donk Samurai guys
    1Clog Katana girl
    2 I have the naginata that will pierce the heavens lady

And a Felice and Lara >_>

In 24 summons, which compared to like all the way back to Silas I haven't had near that decent of luck

Maybe they decided to stop being dicks, I even got one Rengaku before I got to 10x

I know it's cursory luck, but a lot of people have been murmuring about rates, so maybe it's worth giving a shot, if you like the designs or just have a *scratches neck* compulsive problem

RyAnime Valentine and Eleiryn like this.
  18. Trcymcgrdy1

Trcymcgrdy1 Emperor

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxed Zeru or Maxed Eze. Rotate based on event.
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I think...Izuna...may be surpassing...Tootootsoo as my favorite looking unit!!!!! I hope Tootootsu gets an omni...

19. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter Seraphim

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Deimos, Tridon, Zenia, or Zedus
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Not really all that interested in Apache Chief Samurai and Ghetto Mumei, but at least warrior waifu there is Alim showing us they can still half ass try to be unique.

20. TheEpicKing

TheEpicKing General

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    See Signature
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XV
    Are any of these guys even that great? None of them stick out to me and I hate the art.

Heak, I'm still trying to summon for Zero. Lol