The Art of.... Summoning?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yilun, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Yilun

Yilun Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    All Meta Units
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    This is just my personal observation of how the arc of my summoning habits have changed over the course of the year I've been playing BF. As an aside, I'm primarily F2P (spent on a couple of the cheap bundles here and there) whose probably been through the same ups and downs with RNG as everyone else here in the community.

Early days in BF - when I first started, I used to spend every chance I got. Yolo summoning was addicting because virtually everyone I got was "new" and I was in dire need of adding more depth to my roster.

Growing days in BF - I became more aware of how RS gates worked (and just how awful the rates actually were). I started to wise up and save my gems for more focused usage, i.e. 5+1 gates or 10+1 global exclusives if I was rich enough.

End-game days (now) - I literally do not summon anymore unless it is a gate where I'm virtually guaranteed something that I don't already have today. In fact, the only times I have summoned is during FH limited pool (17 units limited pool) where I know I have a 50% or higher chance of not getting a dupe, during an event where the 5+1 popular units contain units that I don't already have (again, guaranteeing that I'll at least get non-dupes as gifts), or the global exclusive events. During these events, you generally also get 2-3 units that you already didn't have before in the past through noise summons.

It got me to think - if you play your cards the right way and be very selective and disciplined with your summons, you should be able to really amass a very nice squad with the highest level of efficiency without any wasted gems/tickets, imo. By only going for gates where you know you're going to get something in return for your resources, you're limiting the negative impacts that can plague you if you just summoned haphazardly yolo style. Keep in mind, we get so many legacy unit upgrades and now with dream evo that you can technically NOT summon at all and entirely live on updated legacy units to keep replenishing your roster talent pool.

Anyone else reach this level of summoning where you're basically amassing a fortune without being handcuffed to every summon gate while still being able to conquer all new content as soon as it drops? Feels like a pretty good position to be in at the moment. It gives me the luxury to be real picky and drop a fortune on events like Zeruiah and Randolph without really feeling like I've gone broke much at all. Obviously CA helped out ALOT with this notion as well.

RyAnime Valentine likes this.
  2. EpicGold

EpicGold Cycle Cutter

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Kulyuk/Ensa/SMiku/Sirius/Avant/Nyami/Zeruiah
    Level:
    45x
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dragon Nest(?)/ BF /BnS(?)/ Summoners War/ Hissss
    My hands like to yolo too much... even if i dont need anything.. just this retarded srs+ ( 'rates up' ) got me sh1t and oracle Klaus with 5 summons... I am fine I think though.. I currently have 108 7 * and in a few days I'll have 4 more with Elza and co.. most legacy units are already acquired from CA so im fine with that. The real problem is the summoning urges ( ADDICTIONNNN) even when the gate sucks like a gajillion balls... Thanks to CA I usually have just enough for any of those GE- exclusive events though... got Zeru.. Randolph and stuff...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Spritz likes this.
  3. Taikero

Taikero Apollo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya/Juno-Seto/Randolph/Zeruiah
    Level:
    289+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dungeon Rush
    I calculate what percentage of the pool will grant me a guarantee.

Limited pools are my favorite for this, but I enjoy X+1 or Xth Summon guaranteed pools.

If 50% or more of a limited pool is new, I'll swing for the fences.

If the Xth summon guarantees a unit, and it's a great one, and I haven't summoned for quite a while, then I usually get 2-3 new units in the process (Just pulled an Anima 6* Limera the other day going for Randolph).

4. Aegid

Aegid Crayon

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Feng, Zeru, Ark, Kira, etc.
    Level:
    450+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Breath of the Wild
    When a player starts a brand new game, he/she will want to get their hands on everything said game has to offer, and that feeling will most likely not change, what changes is the game experience, as we progress. At the start, the game offers you tools to keep you hooked, Brave Frontier wise, this translates into easy gems, being given by arena, questing, vortex, raid, trials, campaigns, etc. In our minds, we develop the idea of "Hey, I want to summon, it's fun, and I will be getting more gems easily anyway". It's a matter of clearing content, they will keep coming and my necessities will keep being fulfilled. Then, you go and progress, and slowly realize the gems that you got in such an easy fashion are not as many as they used to be, you have to work even harder to earn them. HOWEVER, you still want to summon, so you do, end up getting repeated/useless units and you wish you didn't summon, until you tell yourself it is not worth it to summon and start saving, becoming wiser on that aspect.

I see the F2P as that, there is a point where you have to become mindful of your summons, or you will most likely end up regretting it.

Tygsgg likes this.
  5. HeroOfLightPKN

HeroOfLightPKN Phoebus

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Retired
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Nova's tips for success
    • Buy gems
    • Get stuff
    • Whoop ass

Zidainar likes this.
  6. Etrius

Etrius Legend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Nope 8)
    Leader:
    Ilm, Regil, Krantz, anyone else useful
    Level:
    487 Global, 338 Japan (Lost JP data... RIP)
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    For Global I usually save up for Avant rate ups or GEs

7. Zaegar

Zaegar Calamity Host

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    245xx55135
    Leader:
    Shion, Zeis, Cleria
    Level:
    So far yet so near
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FFXIV-heavensward - 7K
    That's what i'm doing in my JP game
    Started a week ago,now i have
    Sirius,melina, fire sister of them,gildorf, eldora and my lovely rafiru-chan
    Waited for the rate up of the unit i wanted using only my first tutorial pull (quaid) and then pulled
    Yoloed almost all,rates are great here and now i'm keeping my gems for next DE lol

RyAnime Valentine likes this.
  8. Kyrian

Kyrian Twilight

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya/Ark/Azurai
    Level:
    560+
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    BF, FFBE
    What I find amusing as FTP is that when I started this game a month ago, I actually began at the "Growing days" point that the OP mentioned. I do have a tendency to yolo summon but those days are mostly gone given that the RNG in BF works differently than in GCC. I joined during Mikael's and Avani's gates, so right when I began the game, I had access to the likes of Mikael, Avani, Griff, Ciara and Hadaron. When I first tried BF in the summer/spring of last year, I was put off by the crap gates/rates where I pulled only 3*. Even making it through Mistral was tough since I only had access to 3* units at most.

So far, I have only pulled on three occasions: the Mikael/Avani gate, an arena limited pool gate and the Randolph/Ravenna gate. So yeah, generally I only pull for GE and for arena units. Since I'm going for quality over quantity, I figure that arena units will give me the most for my gems since I do CA regularly. For being older units, Duran and Iris are still pretty good in CA. o_O

9. Summoner_Scott

Summoner_Scott Heavenly Judge

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Avani, Tridon, Haile, Gazia
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    As f2p, it's a rough life.... Luckily I have every global exclusive except Semira, and Mikael, and all my sqauds consist of just GEs for the most part.

But I made this nice collage of how many units I don't have.... I guess all my "luck" is paying off in the legacy category, but other than that; I rarely see new units.

In short, I save all my gems for GEs, since they seem to get me the most bang for my buck
    image.jpeg

10. Shiratori

Shiratori Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I started as F2P then became P2Pish (bought cheap bundles) but as far I realized about the shitty rates, I stopped being P2P and became F2P again. I still yolo summon every now and then but as being an end game player, I became much wiser at pulling units. I usually just wait for guaranteed rate ups like 10+1. With that 10+1, I can usually get noise pulls of other units too. Also.... 5 STs a week from CA made my life much easier than before :p

11. Spritz

Spritz Original God

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zeru, Zelnite
    Level:
    835+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Google Pacman
    Maybe sometimes i like to hoard. The most I've managed to hoard(FTP) is like 25 summons worth of gems and tickets lol. My urges hurt me.
    @Beyond Z This is your area of expertise hehe

12. RyAnime Valentine

RyAnime Valentine Radiance

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    ~
    Leader:
    Legendary Thief Zelnite
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, FFBX, PotK
    Preacher > Choir! Now All rise for a collection of the Offering!(lol)