Boss Guide Trial 003: Creator Maxwell Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by AbsentNight, Oct 16, 2014.

1. AbsentNight

AbsentNight Demon

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ._.
    Level:
    The notorious Trial 003 was once considered to be very hard and was even impossible for some people. Nowadays she's more of a pushover with the current units available. Welcome to Power Creep Frontier.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Team Building
    The basic team should have the following in order to have the best results during the trial:
    • Damage Reduction
    • Healer
    • Status Curer/Nullifier
    • Damage Dealer
    • BB Support (optional)
    • Attack Buffer (optional)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Units
    Note: Won't be updating this list anymore since there's so many units you can run with.

Leaders
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!
    Damage Reduction
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!
    Healer
    Status Curers/Nullifier
    Damage Dealer
    BB Support
    Attack Buffer
    Spheres
    Spheres you equip are also going to be very important in making or breaking the battle. The following are recommended you should be equipping. Any spheres that have similar effects can be used.
    Note: * indicates spheres that should only be used sphere frog'ed units or if you have dual Grah.
    Team Examples
    In order for you to get an idea of how your teams should go, I've made some examples.
    Note: This does not mean that your team should be limited to these. You don't need the perfect squad to beat Maxwell.

Battle
    I will only be listing the notable attacks that you'll see. There's more but they are nothing to worry about.
    Note: You should count turns starting with Juggernaut. Brave Fronteir PROs has been very kind as to make this nifty counter. They've also added an HP marker which will be very useful for estimating critical points.
    http://touchandswipe.github.io/bravefrontier/maxwellcounter.html#_=_
    http://touchandswipe.github.io/bravefrontier/hpmarker#_=_

Juggernaut
    • Graviton
      • AOE, cast randomly
      • Damage fixed to 25%-35% HP
    • Neo Plasma Blast
      • AOE, cast every 4 turns
      • Rather strong attack
      • have mitigation or guard
    This battle overall is actually pretty easy. There's not much that you need to know about this one. Just make sure you have damage mitigation up or guard every 4 turns. It is also important to get nullification up as soon as possible so that your don't get paralyzed. Water units should also be guarded. Items should not be used here except for flutes.

Abaddon
    • Banishment
      • Single TGT, cast randomly
      • Relatively weak attack
      • Removes buffs
    • Evil Hole
      • Single TGT, cast randomly
      • Rather strong attack
      • Has HP drain
    • Death Gate
      • Single TGT, triggered at 50% HP and 30% HP
      • Damage fixed to 150% HP
      • Cast twice at 50% HP, four times at 30% HP
      • Have mitigation and guard all units
    This battle is a bit harder but still easy with the right team. Just make sure you watch out for those critical points and don't accidentally go over for if you do, a couple of you're units are very likely to die. It is very important to have an status healer here since Abaddon inflicts everything. When reaching the critical points, make sure you guard your units and use damage mitigation. Again, items should not be used here. The spoiler below has a reference of where the critical points.

Maxwell
    • Sacred Song
      • Cast every 4 turns
      • 80% ATK buff, 200% DEF buff, Angel idol buff
    • Rune
      • TGT, cast every 4 turns
      • Removes buffs, Angel Idol buff to self
    • Genesis
      • AOE, randomly cast
      • Relatively weak
    • Destiny
      • TGT, cast once every 5 turns
      • Damage fixed to 160% HP
      • Use mitigation and guard all units
      • After 50%, Destiny is cast twice
    • Meteor
      • TGT, cast at 70%, cast randomly afterwards
      • Fixed 6k damage(?)
    • Resurrection
      • AOE, cast at 50%, cast randomly afterwards
      • Rather strong attack
      • 150% HP drain
      • Use mitigation
    • Endless
      • AOE, cast at 20% HP
      • Very strong attack
      • Use mitigation and guard
    Now this is a fight that you should be worrying about. First things first, if you don't want to have SS, Rune and Destiny all on the same turn early on, then I suggest to not kill off Abaddon before turn 21. It should also be noted that whatever turn you're own, that will be where Maxwell's attack pattern will start i.e. if Maxwell appears at turn 24, she'll start off with Sacred Song and Rune. During this fight, you're going to want to maintain you're HP gauges full. Guard anyone with less then 60% HP if you're not healing that turn. When Sacred Song and Rune comes up, you should guard all of your units and use damage mitigation. On the turn after Maxwell casts Sacred Song, you'll want to either have mitigation up or guard your units to be safe since the ignore defense buff is still active. For Destiny, it is also very recommended that you guard and use damage mitigation, too. As you approach the 70% mark, you'll face Meteor for the first time. Though it's not too strong, you should be using damage mitigation to be safe. Once you reach to 50%, Resurrection will come up. Resurrection isn't too strong but can still mess up your units if you don't guard or have damage mitigation up. The self-heal that comes with it shouldn't be much of a problem. At 30%, the double Destiny cast isn't really too much of a problem (in my experience) then just single Destiny. You should still, of course, be guarding and use damage mitigation. As you approach 20%, you should be very careful not to go over too soon. If you accidentally go over without damage mitigation, you're as good as dead. After that, the rest should be a breeze til you reach the end. Below in the spoiler is a reference of where the important critical points are.

Sacred Song Loop
    Because of Maxwell's Angel Idol, she'll revive after her HP is reduced to 0%. In order to have your best chances, you should reduce her HP to 0% on the turn after Maxwell casts Sacred Song to have a total of three turns til she'll cast it again. Still be wary of Destiny though for it is still a threat to you. Below is an example of how it should be executed.
    • Turn 41 - Reduce health to 0%
    • Turn 42 - Attack
    • Turn 43 - Attack
    • Turn 44 - Killshot
    In order to avoid starting the loop again, you have to deal enough damage to take out 100k HP. You can roughly calculate damage by taking all of you accumulated damage in one turn. Keep in mind that this number won't be accounting for crit, spark or weakness.
    Regular attacks will deal the amount of attack your unit has and multiply by attack multipliers i.e. Grah 1800(1+.2(LS)+1.15(ATK buff)+.2(Sphere)) = 4570
    For BBs, you have to take all attack multipliers and multiply by your attack i.e. Lilith 1823(1+6.2(BB%)+.2(LS)+1.15(ATK buff)+.2(Sphere)) = 15951.25
    If you can, try start the loop at turn 1 or turn 17 of Maxwell's attack pattern to avoid Destiny.

If you still have trouble comprehending this, then @ZURA has taken the liberty to explain it some more here:http://www.bravefrontierforum.net/threads/trial-no-003-maxwell-the-loop-explained.38143/
    Miscellaneous Notes
    Just some final things I would like to add that may help.

• My most recommended item set for this is Cures/Flutes/Lights, Fujin potion, Fujin Tonics, Revives, Revive Lights.
    • One strategy you could do if you lack a good status curer is to have a first team with nullifying LS unit as a lead for Juggernaut and Abaddon and then a second team for Maxwell.
    • Count to four with your fingers if you find yourself losing count or forgetting which turn you're on. I've found that to work for me better than the other methods.
    • If you see Maxwell constantly attacking one of your units til they die, then that's just RNG screwing you over rather then your team not being good enough. This whole battle will rely on some luck for success.
    • I recommend to have all of your units with at least 8k HP to ensure you can take Maxwell's hits. Having 10k+ HP is superb. However you do that varies.
    • You may not get Maxwell on your first try. In my experience, I have found myself messing up on either critical points, turn count (or sometimes being thwarted by RNG). It took me several tries not because Maxwell was so powerful but rather mistakes on my own part (or RNG). This battle is a battle of wits. (RNG also plays a role in this battle)
    • It helps a lot if you have dark element buff up to ensure you break the Sacred Song loop.
    • Planning to beat Maxwell with more than one team can actually be unhelpful in most cases since they'll go into the fray with absolutely no buffs once the team before them goes down. (Bringing crit teams to blow through that last 100k HP at the end is fine as long as you have fujins to spare.)

Feel free to ask any questions, team advice or comment on anything I missed or should add.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Killua_

Killua_

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Loa
    that sacred song loop is really annoying , btw I saw some videos in which people avoided it after a number of times (they were trapped as well).

3. JT_Alpha

JT_Alpha Legendary God Maker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Available
    Leader:
    Me, Myself, & I.
    Level:
    32x
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 4
    Currently Playing:
    DOA5LR, MK-X, (PS4)
    Sacred song loop is the last thing that i dont want to get myself trap into lol, i'll be sure to take note of this guide thanks AbsentNight....

4. Crayons

Crayons Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Most meta
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Is this the Maxwell from Mistral or a different one?

wescow likes this.
  5. AbsentNight

AbsentNight Demon

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ._.
    Level:
    Trials 3 Maxwell
    Hmm, I should probably change the title.

6. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FE:Fates, DoTa2, Overwatch, Fate/Grand Order
    You forgot that Maxwell MAY use Destiny on the first turn she appears

7. Killua_

Killua_

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Loa
  8. AbsentNight

AbsentNight Demon

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ._.
    Level:
    She can actually use SS, Rune and Destiny on the first turn she appears too. Depends on turn count. I should prolly add that too......

9. catlord14

catlord14 Demeter

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    MAXWELL FRONTIER INSIDE
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    leorone perhaps for alternative atk buffer & rec buffer, considering maxwell have defense ignore buff so leorone def buff is useless. I'm torn apart for my team building for this trial, whether i should use :
    formation A : Darvanshel (B) lead, Lilith (A), Lilith (G), Elimo (L) & Michele (B)/Leorone (G) with Lily Matah Friend
    formation B : Grahden lead, Lilith (A), Melchio (A), Elimo (L) & Oulu (G)/Darvanshel (B) with Grahden Friend
    and for the 2nd squad i'm gonna run my crit squad perhaps mwuahahaha

sidenote all maxed BB/SBB with all spheres you suggested, thx for the feedback

10. Zonic

Zonic Nomos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Leorone,Sefia,Grah
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Just something I'd like to see and probably other people would do, saying guard at 50%,30%,20% is kinda tough to guess. Maybe when the trial comes out or anyone from jp can create a picture showing the points where they'll use their special moves, like the one in grah trial guide, that helped a TON.

Nimander likes this.
  11. Cancer

Cancer Virtuoso

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Inferno swords logan Lv100 SBB10,Noble Fist Dilma LV100 SBB10,Zelnite/Lilly/Darvan/Esna LV80
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    For attackers I have a dilma and logan,which would be best? Or should I train my Luther?

12. AbsentNight

AbsentNight Demon

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ._.
    Level:
    I did consider Leorone being alternative buffer but since he collides with Oulu and Darvanshel's def buff, I decided to rule him out. I don't know. He may still be useful.
    I would go with you're first team, though, you're going to need good spheres to make up for the lack of bulk.
    Luther works just fine. Dilma will take a LONG time to fill up which isn't going to be very beneficial for you. I've never tried Logan before. Weakness may be a problem but he could probably make up for his health draining.

13. Dennis Tan

Dennis Tan Diablo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Black Lotus Lunaris SBB 10 / Grahdens / Lilly Matah / Maxwell SBB 10 / Elza SBB 10
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    should i wait for lily 6 stars form ?

14. roy3x

roy3x Skywalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Vesti
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, FFRK
    Lunaris wont works as status immunity/cure coz it takes too long to charge.

GS1134 and Eleiryn like this.
  15. catlord14

catlord14 Demeter

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    MAXWELL FRONTIER INSIDE
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I have pretty decent spheres in my arsenal thinking for dandelga on darvanshel, drevas on elimo, batootha for my anima lilith and legwand/sol creator for leorone/michele and guardian lilith.

16. AbsentNight

AbsentNight Demon

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ._.
    Level:
    I've seen people have success with her in the JP forum. At least, I thought I saw people have success with her. May be wrong
    I wouldn't use Batootha for Maxwell since it doesn't increase HP
    I would wait til her 6*

17. ccaian

ccaian Virtuoso

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grahdens
    Level:
    9x
    Hunter Rank:
    Crap, I only have sacred gems and mystic lantern. Worse still, my second account lilly matah has only a flesh armor. I don't think I can make it...

18. Knights

Knights General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell, Exvehl, Grah, Darvanshel
    Level:
    165?
    Hunter Rank:
  19. DiscTwo

DiscTwo Demon

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell, Uda, Darvanshel, Zelnite
    Level:
    13X
    Hunter Rank:
    @AbsentNight I can't tell you how appreciative I am that you undertook the formulation of this guide. With every 2nd or 3rd thread being "maxwell squad advice/help" being able to direct them to a guide such as this is a boon to most and should (emphasis on should) enable some summoners to research a wee bit on their own before calling "uncle" and being saved individually by the rest of the community. Again, thank you very much!

Disc

AbsentNight likes this.
  20. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Almighty

Friend ID:
    xxxx40xxxx
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Dark Souls 3
    I'm wondering how Grah will survive? Him being a dark unit and stuck at 5*. Kinda wanna use his BB from time to time to get the Dark element buff.