Boss Guide Trial .004 Cardes the Malevolent (Guide)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by SingSong, Nov 8, 2014.

1. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FE:Fates, DoTa2, Overwatch, Fate/Grand Order
    This guide is a quick runthrough on what you should be expecting when doing Trial .004. Trial 004 is not yet released yet but since Trial 003 was the same in both Japan and Global, its safe to assume Trial 004 will be the same in both Japan and Global as well

Basic Squad Formatting:
    You have many ways to attempt this Trial, you can do:
    - BB Spam
    - Defensive
    - Lily Mattah Squad
    - Boss Squad
    - Crit Squad
    - Maxwell Squad

I've done the trial in Japan and I cleared it with 1 Squad. My Squad was:
    Grahdens (Lead) - Sol Creator, Legwand
    Naruza - Evil Shard, Sol Creator
    Raydn - Sol Creator, Zeus' Bow
    Kuda - Sol Creator, Zeus' Bow
    Nalmika - Zeus' Bow, Legwand
    Tia (Friend) - Drevas, Evil Shard
    It took around half an hour to finally beat Cardes with only 2 attempts. The reason i used these units is because all of them have something that can contribute to the squad during the entire fight.

Grahdens - Damage reduction against Cardes and Zebra as well as acting as a mini Legwand
    Naruza - Damage Migation, Status Ailment Blocking, BB generated when attacked, Hit hit count (16)
    Raydn - Spark Buff, Def Ignore
    Kuda - Att and Crit Buff, Damage dealer
    Nalmika - Keep Phee and Luther at Bay so everyone else can focus on Cardes
    Tia - Best Pure healer in the game atm and kept my squad above 75% HP after every turn

Your squad doesn't have to be like mine but the required units when doing this trial is:
    Status Ailment Blocker
    Damage Migator
    Healer
    Any unit that can keep Luther Paralyzed

Suggested Units:
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!

You can also do Offensive or Defensive Squads to do this battle. An example of an offensive squad is one that Ushi used in one of his recent Unit Reviews here:

Defensive Squads will of course take alot longer than an Offensive squad but the chances of you winning will be greater. since your squad will be able to last longer.
    Doing the split strategy has been more popular recently when doing this trial which is having 1 squad for Zebra and a 2nd squad for Cardes. A 3rd Squad can be used as well but they usually come out at the 20% Threshold after Cardes' Endless attack.
    With the new Halloween Dark unit, you can easily just replace Nalmika with her since her Paralyze chance is so high and the new Fire Halloween unit is an extremely powerful version of Michele.
    This trial is based more on RNG than Maxwell's trial.

Spheres

This fight will be very dependent on what you equip for your units. Here's a list of spheres that are good for this fight. Spheres will be categorized as primary and secondary. Primary will be spheres that should be prioritized first for maximizing survivability. Secondary will be spheres that should be equipped after primary are taken care of.
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!

Battle Flow

Zebra
    This battle shouldn't be too hard as long as your second team is nice and stable. Have damage mitigation up when needed have have HP gauges full. As you reach the 50% mark, there's not much you can do to try to avoid dying unless you're using Grah and Cardes leads. Just let one unit die and hope that it's not anything important like your healer or damage mitigator. If this does happen though, don't use any revives. It's still possible to go on without them as long as you have some good damaging units. As you go past the 25% mark, you'll want to just let your units die at this point. Your second team comes in once the last one dies. You should get your units' BB gauges filled up and use damage mitigation after you reach 0% for Zebra. Cardes, Phee and Luther will start attacking immediately afterwards.

Cardes

Start off by using your most important buffs/attacks first. If you have a paralyzing unit, you'll want to paralyze Luther. Throughout the battle, you'll want to have damage mitigation up every turn. If it's not up, then you'll have to guard everyone. This battle is fairly simple compared to Maxwell. Just keep on sustaining HP and BB gauges. The attack you'll want to really watch out for is Abyss Wall. This attack especially deadly with Luther's remove buff attack. As you reach both the 70% and 50% marks, make sure you have damage mitigation up and have ample HP for your units. As you reach the 20% mark when Cardes casts Endless, you'll want to guard and have damage mitigation up. It's preferable to have Luther and Phee off the battlefield at the moment but it's not required. Just make sure you paralyze Luther if they are on the field. After Endless, you're pretty much home free. If Luther and Phee remain after you kill Cardes, you'll have to kill them too.

Trial 004
    Battle 1:
    :dark:Mad God Zebra
    Mad God Zebra.png
    This Zebra is alot more difficult than the one you encounter in Encrevis. He is supposedly testing you to see if you are worthy of facing Cardes.
    Important Notes:
    * Has a Single Target BB attack that may inflict a status ailment
    * Every 3 turns, Zebra will cast Soul Divide which is an extremely powerful AoE BB attack. Guarding or Damage Migating is highly suggested
    * Zebra has a AoE attack called "Soul Invasion" just like when you face him in Encrevis. The effects are the same where he can use it in random turns and spam it while having a chance to Curse your units
    * At <50% HP, Zebra will cast "Deadly End" which is a Single Target Attack that will deal 51,000 Damage if taken head on without guarding or Damage Migating. Def Buffs will not effect this attack but Guarding and Damage Migation will.
    * At <25% HP, Zebra will cast "Deadly End" once more but instead of casting it once, he will cast it twice but with 42,000 Damage rather than 51,000 Damage.
    * There will not be a "Battle 2/2" Scene after defeating Zebra, instead it will go straight into Cardes battle

Battle 2:
    :fire:Defiant God Luther
    Defiant God Luther.png
    Important Notes:
    * Luther will remove all buffs on the unit he attacks
    * Luther cannot cast AoE BB attacks
    * Luther can be Paralyzed

:water:Tyrant Goddess Phee
    Tyrant Goddess Phee.png
    * Phee spams her AoE BB attack very often
    * Phee can be Cursed
    * Low HP compared to Luther and Cardes
    * While Phee is up, she will cast a damage migation buff to her allies

:dark:Cardes the Malevolent
    Cardes the Malevolent.png
    Cardes is the Unit you are trying to Capture when attempting Trail 004 (Unless you're just doing it for the EXP and Zel)
    He is extremely powerful and his Encrevis form is nothing compared to his Trail form.

Important Notes:
    * All of Cardes' attacks have a chance to inflict Curse
    * Cardes can revive Luther and Phee throughout the entire battle
    * At <70% HP Cardes will cast a Heal that will heal him for 200,000 HP as well as cast 2 Single Target BB attacks that deal Massive Damage
    * At <50% HP Cardes will cast a Heal that will heal him for 200,000 HP as well as cast 3 Single Target BB attacks that deal Massive Damage
    * At <20% HP Cardes will cast "Endless" which deals an insane amount of damage to your squad and will begin casting his Single Target Massive BB attack at random intervals
    * At <0% HP Cardes will not revive and but you must of defeated both Luther and Phee to clear the Trial

Thanks to @AbsentNight for giving me some advise as to what to add to the guide and correcting some of my mistakes. I also did a rerun of this Trial (Using the same setup as before) to make sure this was correct.

Once again thanks to @AbsentNight for creating the Spheres and Battleflow sections. I simply copy and pasted from a convo we have between eachother to create this guide

Good Luck attempting Cardes and dont screw up like i did on my first attempt by going in blind. I suggest you read through all the notes before attempting this guide. If you have any Questions or Concerns dont be afraid to send me a PM or simply make a post below. For Squad suggestions, @AbsentNight is the person you want to see since he helped out so many people with defeating Maxwell but i can also help in this section as well, just not as well as he can.

@Josh Its really early but here is the Trial 004 Cardes Guide

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
  3. Einherjer

Einherjer Hellhound

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Furude Rika (but seriously, Elza/Zelnite)
    Level:
    160+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 2
    Currently Playing:
    MSL, BF, Otogi, WCP
    (y) Go GuidingSong! BTW, can you name all good RS units that can paralyze? Because I see myself Paralyze-less :(

4. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    I dont know of all of them but these are the ones i know of right now
    Sefia, Falma, Pumqueen, Nalmika, Loch (?), and thats the one i know of right now

5. Virgilio Bautista

Virgilio Bautista Tajsna27

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeru
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier
    Rina's sbb has a high probability as well

Koshchei likes this.
  6. Sultazaken

Sultazaken Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Haile/Michele
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    nice guide :D why do so many people call "trials" trails though. They're completely different words lol

7. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Still not changing it. I don't like where the I is in trials... Its looking at me funny

8. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Wow! Good work! Thanks for sharing. :)

9. Einherjer

Einherjer Hellhound

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    160+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 2
    Currently Playing:
    MSL, BF, Otogi, WCP
    o_O how...?

10. AbsentNight

AbsentNight Demon

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ._.
    Level:
    What am I, some kind of BF Guru now?

MalcolmXofArt and jayhawki like this.
  11. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Almighty

Friend ID:
    xxxx40xxxx
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Dark Souls 3
    Nice. I want Grades just for the tentacle hair he has.:D Good guide also.(y)
    Seeing all the units you have dual sphered, I'm guessing jp is quite generous with the frogs. Dunno if we here on Global will have such luxury.o_O

Zebra seems kind of cheap. I mean even if you Mitigate and defend you still get in 12750 damage- also the unit casting mitigate cannot defend. Like WTF? Double Grah seems like mandatory-ish.:p
    On the bright side Cardes is not such a "must get asap" unit like Maxwell was, so people can take their sweet time trying the trial.

12. ZURA

ZURA Astraeus

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Varies
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, Overwatch(PS4), Skyrim SE(PS4)
    You get used to it. Unless your one of those people that makes guides but never answers the people lol

Travis chenault and jayhawki like this.
  13. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    That's right I can't stick around all day helping people, I need to go out and pl-
    I mean study for tests

herbman420 likes this.
  14. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Edits were made to the guide
    Thanks to Absent for correcting me on a few mistakes

15. Hanyabull

Hanyabull

Leader:
    Amy
    My 2 cents: Lose the unnecessary pictures. They add nothing and make revisiting sections of the guide harder.

The Maxwell guide on this forum is perfect. Only photos included are to show important HP thresholds AND they are hidden. Makes it easy to navigate across all platforms.

However, I maybe I'm in the minority, and the only one who pulls nothing from a gigantic picture of Cardes.

16. AbsentNight

AbsentNight Demon

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ._.
    Level:
    You still spelled "Trial" wrong

Koshchei likes this.
  17. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Find x | x = 0/0
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    I still dont like how the i looks at me in trial

18. Einherjer

Einherjer Hellhound

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    160+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 2
    Currently Playing:
    MSL, BF, Otogi, WCP
    So how's this team?
    Grah lead
    Darvanshel (L)
    Nalmika (L)
    Elza (A)
    Tree (B)
    Lilly friend

:D Haven't beaten Maxwell and I am... :lol:... :D... :)... :(...

19. Koshchei

Koshchei

Leader:
    That's called a Medulla Gem. :p

Good to know people have already come up with 1 squad setups to defeat Cardes. I've been fusing away duplicates for a while now.

P.S.
    I heard you misspelled trial.

P.P.S.
    You misspell a lot of things. People should be used to it.

20. Einherjer

Einherjer Hellhound

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    160+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 2
    Currently Playing:
    MSL, BF, Otogi, WCP
    I see many misspellings... I never minded them xD