Vortex Guide Trial of the Gods Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Josh, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Trial of the Gods is a global exclusive event that’s intended to be on par with the Grand Gaia Chronicles in terms of difficulty. I know a lot of players are having difficulty with these three Trials, mainly because of the bosses Crit resistance so I decided to write up a guide.

You’re going to want a unit with either a defense ignoring Leader Skill or Brave Burst for these Trials. Quite a few of the enemies have DEF buffs so you’ll end up hitting 1 damage without a DEF ignore buff. Running either Melchio or Duel-SGX as your leader is an effective strategy, Zephyr and Dilma are also good for these Trials (Dilma especially on the second Trial as there’s a couple of Thunder enemies).

I’d go for a pretty similar squad set up throughout all three Trials. I personally went with:
    • :light: Legatus Melchio (Leader)
    • :light: Terminator Lilith
    • :light: Terminator Lilith
    • :water: Genius Mage Elimo
    • :water: Ice Fortress Oulu
    • :thunder: Crusher God Uda (Friend Leader)
    Melchio is really useful for these Trials. As I mentioned earlier, he’s great for his DEF ignore Leader Skill and the 25% ATK boost is a nice bonus. Melchio’s SBB also grants status immunity for three turns which means you don’t have to bring a Leader with that skill (Reeze/Darvanshell).

Terminator Lilith speaks for herself, her unlimited SBB deals some serious damage. Elimo and Oulu work great for DEF biists/damage mitigation.

If you don’t have these units, I’d recommend going with units as similar to them as you can get. A leader/unit that ignores DEF, 2 hard hitters, a healer, damage mitigation (if you don’t have Oulu or Darvanshell then just go with another hard hitter) and a friend with increased BB fill/BC drop rate (Felneus, Lodin etc).

I went with the following item set: Cure, High Cure, Holy Light, Fujin Tonic and Holy Flute.

All three Trials require 25 energy each.

Trial 1 – Burning Desire
    Stage 1 – :fire: Zegar

Zegar begins the fight with a huge DEF buff, it seems that only BB/SBB can deal more than 1 damage until he’s used his first BB. After that the buff drops and you can deal as much damage as you like. I got around this with the DEF ignore buff.

Zegar can inflict paralysis and poision. He also heals around 17,000 HP.

When his HP gets low, Zegar will cast a Crit buff on himself. Be careful here, he’ll deal a lot of damage – it’s recommend to have your healers/damage mitigation units BB’s ready here.

Stage 2 – :dark: Gloomy
    Gloomy doesn’t have a lot of HP, but it does have really, really high DEF. You’ll only hit one damage per turn without ignoring DEF (if you have an ignore DEF buff, you’ll probably one shot Gloomy).

None of Gloomy’s attacks are really worth worrying about although he does have a massive AoE attack that does around 9,000 damage on the fifth turn. It’s recommended to guard on the fifth turn. Gloomy also has an attack that can drain your units BB gauges.

Stage 3 – :fire: Burny, :water: Squirty & :earth: Mossy
    This fight is pretty easy, I’d recommend targetting Squirty first as he can heal the enemy squad by 150,000HP. Squirty’s HP is quite low so it shouldn’t take many turns to take him out.

Mossy is very similar to Gloomy from the pervious stage, a unit with ignore DEF should take care of it pretty quickly. Mossy can ‘Taunt’ which means that all of your attacks will only target him – again, not much of a problem as with ignore DEF you’ll take him out very quickly.

Burny is the toughest of the three in this fight, he can be a real pain as he can inflict Injury, Paralysis and Curse. He also gains an ATK, DEF, and Crit buff when his HP drops below 50%. I used Melchio to deal with the status effects, it’s a pretty good idea to go into this stage with Melchio’s SBB full (either from the previous stage or using a Fujin Tonic) and try and maintain using his SBB every three turns.

Rewards:
    • 100,000 Zel
    • 25,000 Karma
    • 1 Gem
    • 1 Burst Frog

Trial 2 – Destructive Force
    Note: I’m not sure if this bug has been patched yet or not, but if you capture a unit during the second Trial you’ll get DC’d if you clear the Trial. I had to do it all over again, just be wary of this. It’s not a problem on Trial 3.

Stage 1: :thunder: Fallen General Weiss
    Weiss is a real pain, he has a reflect damage buff active during the entire battle. Although this buff can’t kill you on your own turn, it will low your HP pretty drastically if you’re using units that hit high damage. It seems you can get away with using normal attacks and not your units’ BB’s, as the damage that’s returned isn’t high enough to leave you in a bad situation for the next turn. When you’re using your units BB’s, I’d high recommend having your healer with their BB guage fully charged. I’d wait for your attack units to deal their damage and it to be reflected back onto your units, then use your healers BB. This way it cancels out the damage done with Weiss’ reflect buff.

Weiss has an AoE attack that has a chance to deal Poision. He uses this every three turns. He can also inflict Injury with regular attacks.

Stage 2 – :dark: Ryujin Mfiune & :light: Holy Empress Luna
    Mifune is another unit that has a huge DEF buff, his HP is low though so if you a unit with ignore DEF you’ll probably one shot him. I’d recommend taking him out before you start attacking Luna.

Luna isn’t really a problem. She can heal around 17,000 HP and can buff herslef with an ATK/DEF buff that means she hits pretty hard, but it’s nothing that healing/damage mitigation can’t counter.

Stage 3 – :thunder: Juggernaut
    As I mentioned early in the guide, some of the bosses are Crit resistant. Juggernaut is one of the bosses that is, I think i got one Crit on him throughout my entire battle, so Crit squad’s really aren’t a viable method for Juggernaut.

Jugernaut can deplete a unit’s BB gauge by around 80%, it’s extremely annoying when he does this to Terminator Lilith or your healer so I’d recommend saving a couple of Fujin Tonic’s for this fight. He can inflict Curse, but can also be inflicted with Curse.

When Juggernaut uses Unyielding Stance, that means he’s going to use Resolute Surge the next turn. This gives him a huge ATK buff for four turns, he can one shot with regular attacks with this buff. It’s a good idea to have Oulu’s SBB ready for when he uses this attack.

Juggernaut heals to full HP every ten turns. If you can’t deal enough damage before he heals, you probably won’t be able to beat him as you’ll get stuck in a loop. This is why I recommend taking two Terminator Lilith’s as their damage output combined with Spark hits is huge.

Rewards:
    • 100,000 Zel
    • 25,000 Karma
    • 1 Gem
    • 1 Burst Frog

Trial 3 – Ultimate Defense
    In my opinion this Trial is a little easier than Trial 2, so if you’ve made it this far you hopefully won’t have a problem.

Stage 1: :light: Atro & :dark: Magress
    These two are an absolute pain for inflicting status effects, if you’ve not got a leader with status immunity then I’d really suggest using Melchio’s SBB on your first turn (use a Fujin Tonic to fill his gauge). This will make the fight a lot, lot easier.

Atro can inflict Paralysis and Magress can inflict Curse. They’re both vunerable to status ailments too, Atro to Sickness and Poision and Magress to Poison.

Stage 2: :earth: Psycho Mage Claris
    Psycho Mage Claris is very similar to Gloomy from the first Trial. Her HP is very low but she has a huge DEF buff, if you’ve got ignore DEF then you should one shot her. If you don’t have ignore DEF it’s going to be quite a difficult fight as she can drain your units BB gauges and has a massive AoE attack that will probably wipe out all of your units in a single turn.

Stage 3: :dark: Demon Abaddon
    Normal attacks will only inflict 1 damage on Demon Abaddon. BB/SBB’ will hit full damage, Terminator Lilith is extremely useful here due to her unlimited SBB. The ignore DEF buff is handy here too as it means regular attacks will hit normal damage.

Abaddon can inflict Injury, Poison, Curse, Sickness, Paralysis and drain your unit’s BB gauges. Melchio comes in handy again in this fight as his SBB will prevent all but the BB drain.

Abaddon is vunerable to Injury, Poison (37,000 HP a turn) and Weakness.

Rewards:
    • 100,000 Zel
    • 25,000 Karma
    • 1 Gem
    • 1 Burst Frog
    • Providence Ring (Boosts ATK by 25%, DEF, REC and HP by 20%. High chance of reflecting partial enemy damage).

2. Chance

Chance Eurynomos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Elza
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Great guide Josh! Short, right on point, organized and easy on the eyes. Thanks :)

3. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Thanks, I always feel like I overwhelm people with walls of text but hopefully the content is there.

4. mrinfamous

mrinfamous

Leader:
    Logan
    When is this coming out? If it already did, why don't I see it in the vortex?

5. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    It's out. Try restarting the app/refreshing your data.

6. Chance

Chance Eurynomos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Elza
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Well, it could have easily been a wall of text had you not spaced out the text like you did. Also, I like it when people actually use these :dark::earth::fire::light::thunder::water: to identify units, it makes the guide easier to read in a way and doesn't make the entire post look so plain ;)

7. Giang

Giang Tactician

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Uda, Felneus, Miku
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Ty Josh for a great guide, but I decided not to go all out because my squad are not fully 6 star, or didn't have a unit with ignore defense buff ^^

8. Drago

Drago Sage

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Maxwell/Deemo/Grahadens
    Level:
    100+
    Hunter Rank:
    Thank's for the guide Josh ^^
    I'll run tomorrow whit a similar squad:
    Melchio 6*
    Lilith 6*
    Signas 6*
    Lancia 6*
    Darvanshel 5*
    Prefer :fire: units to :water: cause that f***in Weiss:mad:

9. Braeburn

Braeburn Ascended

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Phoenix Torque Ruby (Check profile for more)
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Pokemon Omega Ruby, Team Fortress 2
    I still can't believe I managed to beat all 3 Trials with Inferno Blades Logan, Sacred Flame Lava, Azure Goddess Lucina, Xenon & Estia, and Sky Mage Rashil. I just brought Terminator Lilith for the 1st and 3 Trials, and the Twins for the 2nd. I was so sure that I wouldn't survive, but I just thought "It can't hurt to try".

I'm so glad I tried. XD

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Josh likes this.
  10. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Even with elemental weakness Weiss doesn't hit that hard, especially not with damage mitigation. The real enemy in that fight is yourself.

11. DaiGuren

DaiGuren

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zelnite(SBB10)
    Level:

12. Tindall-2014

Tindall-2014 Apollo

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Feeva, colt, magress and a few others
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Just thaught id say that some times on juggs 10 turn heal he does 2 heals to get him back to 100% but some times he only does one leaving him around the 70% - 75% health mark so if you cant take him down in 10 turns from 100% and can last a long battle waiting for this can work. however its not a great strategy but worked for me after around a 45 min battle with jug alone in that continous loop i noticed this in his pattern also guarding every 4th turn helps surviveability hope this helped abit at least .

13. jaecelyn

jaecelyn

Leader:
    zelnite
    Braeburn, what items did you bring?

14. gentoro

gentoro Moros

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ardin
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I bring grah bb5 as leader, rayden sbb10, melchio sbb5, tree sbb1 and bran sbb10 with uda sbb 10 fren. clear all trial without geming.

15. VanCross

VanCross Archgod

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grah, Ultor, Griel
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 3
    Currently Playing:
    Fate/Grand Order
    Beat all 3 stages without gemming.
    Il & Mina 6* (leader)
    Michele 6*
    Tiara 6*
    Zelban 6*
    Zephyr 6* (most important unit)

Pretty much just throw in +spark damage, +dmg or bypass def friend.
    Zephyr really is the most essential unit in my team. Without him, this challenge would have been one hell of a struggle.

16. shadow3

shadow3 Looper

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ark, avant, sirius, eze, lara, azurai
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    finished all levels with no gems... Thanks for the guide...I would've probably been wrecked if I didn't know weiss's reflection and the need for defense ignore... Here's my team...I used a friend deemo and uda since I need bc regeneration.. Melchio's the lead...I am not blessed with Tesla and elimo, so I used zelban, leorone and lancia (my only healer) instead :D
    Edit: I used two revive light when I forgot to guard on 7th turn I think, the massive AOE bb by abaddon... Luckily, only 2 died (all the others were really close to death)... So yeah, don't forget to guard on that turn,,,,,
    Screenshot_2014-10-21-18-49-17.png Screenshot_2014-10-21-18-49-54.png

17. zenzen

zenzen Barrager

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeruiah, Haile
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    In my oppinion Its not a necessity to bring ignore defense unit in trial 2 and 3
    In trial 2 : :dark: Mifune : Just kill luna first, she's the main threat. After that just hit-heal against mifune, even using his 'massive AOE' damage, he doesnt hit that hard :)
    In trial 3. :earth: The psycho claris : Her supreme defense seems only last for the fist 2 turns. I dont have any defense ignore skill units.
    First turn, i only deal 1 damage/hit
    Second turn, still 1 damage/hit, but divine lance sphere in one of my units procs
    Third turn onward, full damage ! :eek:

18. Braeburn

Braeburn Ascended

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Phoenix Torque Ruby (Check profile for more)
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Pokemon Omega Ruby, Team Fortress 2
    For all 3 Trials, I brought Cures, Defense Elixirs, Fujin Potions, Holy Flutes, and Revive Lights.

19. aarone14

aarone14 Ascended

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zebra, Duel SGX, Lodin, Uda, Grahdens, Zelnite, Darvanshel
    Level:
    After numerous attempts, I ended up killing the second stage with Dilma (L), Lillith, Zellha, Melchio and Altri with an Uda friend.
    Dilma and Altri were only 6* level 80, and neither of them had SBB, and Lillith only had SBB 1. That most of the time i'd lose a unit or two to Weiss meaning i didn't have the dps for Juggernaut, or the times i got to him without anyone dying i wouldn't have the dps.

One shot stage 3 with the same squad, Melchio light buff is pretty op on Abaddon. Thanks for the guide :)

20. SingSong

SingSong Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Request Me
    Leader:
    Depends on current Meta
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 1
    Currently Playing:
    FE:Echo, DoTa2, Overwatch, Fate/Grand Order
    Aww you beat me to creating a guide for this ):
    Well its a nice guide and easy to read as well. Some visuals would be nice but overall, its an extremely good guide and even though i won't be doing this event, i can seee that many people are finding it useful