Which starter to choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jajacho, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Jajacho

Jajacho Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Jajacho
    Leader:
    Warrior Eze
    Level:
    Lvl 8
    Hunter Rank:
    Hey guys which starter should i choose? Like which starter will benefit me the most and help me go far in this game? Compared to the rest, what are the reasons? Is it cause its good in Arena? Good in Quests? Good in the late game? Like which starter overall is the most worth it to choose or the best starter to choose bcos of how it will help me? Like idk which starter is the better one? What should i choose?? PLS JUST GIVE ME A NAME OF THE STARTER WHICH IS THE BEST AND WILL HELP ME THE MOST IN ALL STAGES OF THE GAME OR IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL AND WILL HELP ME PROGRESS AND MOST USEFUL??? THX GUYS :)

2. Astranagant

Astranagant Calamity Host

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ark, Avant, Zelnite
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim, Seven Knights, Brave Frontier
    Vargas = general use.
    Eze = good for faster clearing of quests, nuker.
    Lance = good for tanking bosses on bosses.
    Selena = good for collo/arena when Omni'ed.

3. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Short answer: Selena. If you don't want Selena, take Eze. Lance is usable, can take him if you really want...and fuck Vargas, don't pick Vargas.

Long answer: It doesn't matter THAT much, since eventually you can theoretically get all four of the actual literal starters, plus the other two units (light and dark element) that are not literally available as starters but are considered part of the same batch.

Also, the starter units are really only actually good at 7* and Omni Evolution (8*), so depending on what you get out of rare summon, you may wanna prioritise those first. At lower evolution all the starters suck, they need a lot of investment to get into a usable state.

Anyway, assuming we're comparing their max Omni forms...Selena is pretty much the only one of the four starters that still has some meta relevance - if nothing else, she's an excellent arena/colosseum unit, she's still legitly one of the best arena/colo units around. You can't really go wrong with fielding a Selena. She can also be used for some healing and status removal in regular squad builds...most squads need SOME heals and cleanse, and Selena can do the job if you have nothing else.

The other unit who's theoretically usable is Eze. Eze's a spark dmg buffer, which all squads need, and is a high damage nuke unit who can be used in Frontier Hunter monthly event and crit squads. But he's not really the best choice for these things anymore. Spark damage is also common as hell, the buff appears on a lot of units. Eze is still competitive, just not top of his weight class anymore.

Lance is alright, just not really super great. He has ailment removal, def buff, can do ailment counter, this is useful but there are much much better units for those roles now.

Don't pick Vargas. Unless you really like him, but...actually, no, just don't pick Vargas. Which makes no sense since he's on the app icon and login screens, he's probably the most recognisable hero, he appears in OTHER GAMES that have crossed over with Brave Frontier. His kit's...eh, it's USABLE, but weird, poorly designed, virtually none of his options make sense except maybe his UBB. He does atk and BB atk, but they're both common buffs. He has a spark dmg option but his spark buff value is so shit that it's a cruel joke, he has a crit dmg buff option but no crit hit RATE option so that's probably useless (almost all modern units who do crit rate also do crit dmg buff ANYWAY), and so on. Vargas is special, Selena, Eze, Lance were actually considered top tier at one point when their Omni Evos were added. Vargas...from day one, the community was looking at Vargas and thinking, WTF devs? :p

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  4. Jajacho

Jajacho Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Jajacho
    Leader:
    Warrior Eze
    Level:
    Lvl 8
    Hunter Rank:
    Okay thank you but if you would narrow it down to one name which would it be? And do note i am a beginner sooo idk which is the most beneficial... :)

5. Jajacho

Jajacho Rookie

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Jajacho
    Leader:
    Warrior Eze
    Level:
    Lvl 8
    Hunter Rank:
    Ohhh okay thanks so much :) Thank you for your effort :) Anyone has other opinions or different views? Pls do feel free to share

6. Henshen

Henshen Karma Killer

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    (forever changing; Henshen/Rain/Shion)
    Level:
    500+ (SM:250+)
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Summoner Mode
    Well, seeing as the starters aren't permanently glued to your squad, can be collected later on via "honor summon" (including :light: Atro and :dark: Magress, both considered part of the starters despite not being selectable at the beginning), and are far from the strongest units...
    ---------
    :fire: Vargas: generally considered a bad choice due to never having the chance to shine

:water: Selena: The fan favorite, she can heal the party and at higher evolutions, can take a single lethal hit without dying

:earth: Lance: Bit of a late bloomer, but offers a decent amount of defensive buffs at final evolution

:thunder: Eze: Also a late bloomer from laughably bad to suprisingly decent, at final evolution offers raw damage from sparking your units together along with decent sustain when set as leader.
    ------
    Best to worst choices: :water: Selena will "carry" you throughout her evolutions and has partial endgame relevancy (at least, until you pull a single unit from the divine summon, then that's your carry now)

:earth: Lance due to being cool looking and has a little colosseum (hard mode arena) potential

:thunder: Eze-- Spark buffers are a dime a dozen anyways, so you're pretty much guaranteed to pull a stronger unit that clashes with him

:fire: Vargas-- terrible toolkit that requires outside aid to be usable (even then said "outside aid" will likely clash regardless)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  7. Zidainar

Zidainar Sage

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Lilly Matah
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    If I were you, I’d pick Eze. He’s still useable, like everyone else said. I’d say Selena, but you get a copy of her from the Summoner’s Journal, so you don’t really need two copies of her...

Acyl likes this.
  8. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    This is an excellent point. +1.

9. Arvandor

Arvandor Legend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Natsu / Lucius / Shion (a bit fluid though)
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Legacy of Discord
    If you desperately need an AI UBB and don't have access to Beiorg/Maxwell/Zalvard/Holia/Rozalia/Janice/Silvie/Gabriela/etc, then technically Vargas can fill that role. It just takes him being max level OE with all 100 SP options dumped into that one thing =P