X3 Not Hard - Just Puzzling....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yilun, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Yilun

Yilun Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    All Meta Units
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Before I go into detail about what my point is, I just wanted to assure everyone who saw the title – I’m not trying to troll you guys! This is my honest observation after beating Xie’Jing over the weekend. I can honestly say that her trial is like no other trial in this game (but in a good way). You see, after hearing horror story after horror story about how insanely difficult X3 trial was, I stayed far, far away from that trial for the longest time. In fact, I didn’t even so much as attempt it until this past Friday (ended up beating it on Saturday night after 4 tries). In retrospect, I can see why people would have needed like 50 attempts to finally beat her if they didn’t know about her patterns and thresholds. But once you actually figured out her exact patterns and how to avoid getting killed by her ultimate attacks, the rest was actually not bad at all. Like my friend said, X3 is like a puzzle more than an actual trial. Without the key, it looked almost impossible to figure out. Once you had the key in hand, the rest was cake.

Here is the setup that I used:
    Grahdens (Lead) – Malice Jewel & Heresy Orb
    Zenia – Obsidian Core & Fallacy Orb
    Feeva – Malice Jewel & Virtue Stone
    Kira – Xentar & Ihsir’s Guise
    Aaron – Phantom Gizmo & Queen’s Tear
    Deimos (Friend) – Forgebreaker & Fallacy Orb

To be honest, whether you bring a beefy/tanky squad with high HP stats or one without, it doesn’t really matter. This whole trial battle was more like “don’t wake the sleeping giant”. If you can tip-toe past triggering XJ’s ultimates, you were never in mortal danger throughout the battle. Blighted Harvest and Demonic Atrocity did some decent damage, but it never once put any of my units at risk, especially when you have Grah as a lead. On the other hand, if you screwed up the “puzzle” and triggered her Soul Extinguisher and Depraved Punishment, your whole team is dead regardless of how much HP you had anyways. So in a way, stats don’t actually matter. X3 trial honestly boils down to one single element – damage control. Period.

XJ basically has a “threshold” at every 10% of her HP bar. While I cannot confirm this (since I never had any trouble meeting this requirement), I do understand that you have something like 3 turns to do 10% damage to XJ at a time (doesn’t seem to include when Fei is summoned and her shield is up, otherwise, I would have triggered it by now). If you fail to do this, she whips out her Soul Extinguisher which will one-shot like 3-4 of your units and it’s basically GG. If you’ve got this naturally covered because you’ve brought enough damage to take her down 10% every 3 turns, then all you’re left with to worry about is Fei.

She casts Fei 3 times throughout the fight. Each time, Fei is a higher evolution than the one before with bigger attacks and more HP. He comes in and casts Taunt for 2 turns so you have no choice but to hit him. During the Fei sequence, XJ will activate a shield. You’ll know this event has triggered when you see her talk and summon her bombs which she refers to as her “pets”. Once her shield is up, you have 3 turns afterwards (not including the shield turn)to kill Fei. In other words, by the 3rd turn after XJ summons her bombs/shield, Fei must be dead or XJ will use Depraved Punishment and it’s GG as well. You also cannot damage Fei too much in the first 2 turns. For example, you cannot blow him up and leave him with 1% HP by the 3rd turn to ensure his death because if you take him down past 20% HP in the first 2 turns, that apparently also triggers an XJ ultimate which will end your trial. THIS, is the entire XJ fight in a nutshell, tbh. “How to control your squad’s damage and kill Fei in exactly 3 turns once XJ summons her shield”.

So it may sound easy at first…. Killing Fei in 3 turns doesn’t seem so hard, except there are multiple factors working against you here.
    1) Each Fei has different amounts of HP. The first Fei is very squishy. Since he casts taunt on the first 2 turns, you have no choice but to target him with your attacks. But if you’re not careful, you’ll mess around and kill him too fast and thus triggering XJ’s ultimate and screwing up the turn count.

2) XJ’s shield is also based on her own HP thresholds. Therefore, the timing of when she throws up her shield after she summons Fei varies. Sometimes, it will be 3 turns after summoning Fei before she throws up her shield. During that time, you’re basically left trying to do as little damage as possible in fear of overkilling Fei too fast. Meanwhile, they just pummel away at you without remorse as you try to sandbag like a douchebag. Sometimes, if you’ve done a lot of damage and pushed XJ too far past her threshold, she may summon Fei and throw up her shield at the same time. Now it’s a race to kill Fei in 3 turns.

3) After being conditioned to how squishy the first 2 Fei’s are (the second one is not nearly as squishy as the first but still rather weak), the 3rd one comes out with his full 6* form and has a TON of HP. Even at full SBB spam, if you’re squad does not have enough baseline damage output, you’re going to have significant difficulties in trying to kill him off in time, especially if you’ve pushed XJ’s HP hard and she summons Fei and her last shield at the same time.

4) XJ heals during certain thresholds too. But it’s hard to know when these thresholds are occurring because when Fei casts taunt, you can’t even “target” XJ to look at her health bar. And even if you do, once her shield is up, you cannot see her original health bar anyways until the shield drops after 3 turns. The most frustrating part is when you’ve gotten Fei down to just the right amount of minimum HP left in order to take him down on the 3rd turn and she heals him for a large chunk of HP that throws you entire “damage control” out of sorts.

So try juggling all that nonsense as you’re trying to tip-toe your way past Fei all the while sandbagging until the shield comes up, all the while taking hits from them each turn and worrying about keeping mitigation and defensive buffs up and BC production at max power. It took me 4 turns to finally get it done right. It wasn’t “hard” per se… it was just annoying as hell because you had to micro-manage this trial more than any of the other ones even came close. So, I can fully understand why it took people unlimited tries to finally figure out the patterns to beat her. If it wasn’t for this “knowledge” on her patterns, we’d still be navigating this maze with a blindfold.

Here’s how my successful run looked like:
    1) Popped single Fujin at the onset on Aaron and 1 turn started my perpetual mitigation train.
    2) Took her comfortably down to her threshold until she summoned first Fei.
    3) I was very careful to cast each SBB separately as to not induce any spark or unnecessary extra damage. I casted Grah first (he fills 6 BC per turn which is useful), then Feeva (BC/HC maintenance during sandbag phase) and Aaron BB for mitigation and Deimos SBB for his taunt. Guarded the rest.
    4) Even with only 4 units attacking, these stand-alone attacks already took Fei down to about 60-70% HP. The very next turn, I basically guarded all and only triggered Aaron BB and Deimos BB (still cast mitigation and taunt to allow Deimos to absorb several ST hits from Fei/XJ and limit damage as much as possible).
    5) By the 3rd turn, Fei’s taunt wore off. So now I can at least bypass turns by targeting XJ (even though my damage went to waste on her shield) and I was able to at least continue to manufacture Spark = BC/HC production with normal single target hits.
    6) I repeated this until XJ finally triggered her shield. I lowered Fei’s HP to about 50% when shield was triggered. Thus, giving me 2 subsequent turns to do about 30% damage to him and left his HP around 20%. On the 3rd turn after shield, I stored up enough SBB using normals to do a full round of SBB spam on Fei (targeting Fei) to ensure that I killed him.
    7) As soon as the first Fei went down, I popped Zenia UBB and put a hurting on XJ. Basically took her from 70% down to 50% in about 2 turns or so. She immediately summoned the second Fei.
    8) I repeated the same pattern for the first Fei on the second Fei with a bit more aggression since he has slightly more HP. I always tend to do about 30-40% damage to Fei before XJ’s shield comes up so that I have less of a margin to worry about micro-managing when it does
    9) After beating the second Fei, I started to save and build up my OD (knowing that I may need it for the 3rd Fei).
    10) My squad with Grah’s light element paint Zenia/Feeva/Kira was able to do very decent damage to XJ. I actually pushed her so hard that by the time she summoned the 3rd Fei, she was already past her shield threshold so she summoned the 3rd Fei and her shield on the same turn. This meant that I had exactly 3 turns afterwards to kill the 3rd Fei. I knew I was in trouble because the 3rd Fei is extra tanky and has A LOT more HP than the first 2.
    11) After spamming him with a full set of SBB meters, I only took him down to about 65-70% HP. I knew I was in trouble. The 2nd turn, I popped Zenia’s OD and did another around of full SBB spam. He was down to about 45% HP at the time. Zenia’s UBB came to the rescue. 3rd turn, with Zenia UBB and full SBB spam, my squad was able to kill Fei (barely made it) to avoid getting wiped.
    12) Fortunately for me, the rest of the fight had been real easy that I had pretty much all my revives left (2 Revives and 2 Dews). Also fortunately for me, I still had 2 turns of Zenia’s UBB to go after killing the 3rd Fei and XJ was down to about her last 15% of HP left
    13) After going below 10%, she started doing her LS-lock nonsense. Luckily for me, she LS-locked and killed only 1 of my units in her last ditch AOE. I used 1 revive and popped my remaining 3 Fujin Tonics to max out my entire squad and do a full round of SBB spam on her with Zenia’s final UBB round and OTK’ed her last 8-10% HP bar for the win

All in all – as you can see – I wasn’t actually in danger of dying during the fight from physical damage (either from XJ or Fei). It was basically solving the puzzle on how to perform enough damage control to defeating 3 different Fei’s with 3 different sets of HP parameters. Once you can do that and skip all of her ultimate triggers, the fight itself is actually quite easy. The real difficulty is trying to find a collection of units that can provide both enough defense to survive all the turtling and sandbagging required (all the way producing enough BC to keep mitigation afloat) and enough offense to really dish out the damage when needed (like in 3rd Fei). Zenia was the MVP because her UBB basically saved my ass on the last Fei round. But Deimos was runner up because of his ability in his LS to generate BC for me during the rounds where I did not have enough BB fill to trigger Aaron’s mitigation and I did not want to waste a Fujin. Guard-all for one turn, let the damage naturally boost Aaron’s BB (plus his Queen’s Tear) and problem solved for 1 turn, no harm, no foul.

If anyone is still having trouble with this trial, PM me and I can try to work out a strategy with the units that you have. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    irobb, icloud, nara and 5 others like this.
  2. Kiyoji21

Kiyoji21 Ouranous

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Stuff
    Level:
    700+
    Might want to delete that part at the bottom.

3. Yilun

Yilun Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    All Meta Units
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    LOL, I just saw that and deleted it. Oops. Must have had some funky bug copying from my notepad because somehow it got blended into my outlook email template. Good thing I double-checked what I had posted ;)

4. Snoobcat

Snoobcat Looper

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Avant, Zeruiah, Avani, Mikael
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Don't put your personal information on a random internet site...

5. Kiyoji21

Kiyoji21 Ouranous

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Stuff
    Level:
    700+
    I hope not many people saw it. Would be pretty bad news otherwise.

6. Niffy

Niffy

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Nemia
    Level:
    Awkward mis - pastes aside was well done ^_^

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. Kaziel

Kaziel Aion

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Shion
    Level:
    751+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Thanks for the encouragement Yilon.
    I've put this trial off for a long time because the first try I went in blind, got wrekt and was emotionally scarred since then...
    /shivers...

But new hope arose from your words and defeated the evil witch on the second turn tonight.
    First turn I kind of messeed up on 2nd Fei because I obviously don't know where the 20% threshold line is apparently.
    /faints

Thanks for the encouragement Yil!
    (y):D

8. Israfie

Israfie The Gif Man

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    867-5309
    Leader:
    Gravion
    [​IMG]

9. Leap

Leap Tactician

Curious how you did the bold. That attack should have drained Aaron and Deimos down to 1 and sure you generated some HC because of Feeva BB effect but I would think that you still would have been in danger. I guess this is where teh RNG comes in. So I suggest rather than say the trial is just about knowing the fight and it's easy once you learn, you need to retract that. It is very possible that Deimos could have been targeted enough to be killed even with the extra defense he gets. This really makes the fight RNG and if you run the trial several times you may have lost 7/10 of those you never know. Multiple people talk about how they redid the trial and lost many times even knowing the fight. I know you aren't trying to troll, but I also think you are being inaccurate and have neglected to notice when RNG spared your life.

Pikazard likes this.
  10. yurneroyurnero

yurneroyurnero Divine

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Lots
    Level:
    226++
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    [​IMG]
    Beat it one try Pre-buff and Buffed

11. Sustainer

Sustainer The Engineer Moderator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Azurai + whatever(TheywillkillmeifItakehimdown)
    Level:
    430+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dying Light, D3:UEE, Fallout 4
    Just a question - why do people feel the compulsion to post "Didn't read"..

ReL likes this.
  12. yurneroyurnero

yurneroyurnero Divine

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Lots
    Level:
    226++
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    :O I dunno either, too much 9gag or meme infecting my brain. Maybe this is the reason why my co-workers hate me. :(

Mizuru and Earl like this.
  13. Pulsate

Pulsate Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Kιℓℓυa
    Leader:
    Maxed Robe / Alza / Zeis / Natsu
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Hearthstone (Legend) Competitive Gears of War 4
    OP, you used Deimos and Zenia which is a huge upgrade compared to what we had. The trial is not hard its just RNG based, which means you can still die even if you play it well
    Zenia and Deimos probably reduce the RNG tho idk

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI P7-L10 en utilisant Tapatalk

14. Zoomie

Zoomie Aether

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Chrome, Gazia, Dolk, Charla
    Level:
    250+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Boom Beach, DomiNations
    Thanks for the write-up, it was encouraging. I hadn't attempted it yet as I don't really get much enjoyment out of trials like these. I just tried it after your motivation and noticed a quite peculiar event which you didn't mention. How the heck do I deal with the damage reflect on 2nd Fei? This was prior to shield. Fei has taunt up, I need to attack to fill up BC and HP, but every time I attack I get rekt by reflected damage.

15. Dragoon

Dragoon Zeus

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Retired
    Leader:
    Zelnite, Azurai, Avant
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy: Record Keeper Friend ID: z5G5
    Try it without Zenia and Diemos lol
    Although, I do 100% agree it is about damage control, but only if you have a team that can do enough damage to get by her thresholds.

16. Earl

Earl Phanes

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Trying to figure out atm
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    League, Warframe, GTA, RS, and others
    what are you supposed to do when she summons fei then you kill him in three turns, then she summons here sheild one turn after then after three turns of her sheild being up she uses Depraved Punishment because fei isn't there and your dead????

17. Earl

Earl Phanes

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Trying to figure out atm
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    League, Warframe, GTA, RS, and others
    Never mind, i think i get how i messed up lol

18. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Cherubium

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Meta-Stuff
    Level:
    21x
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FF XIV - Heavensward
    used that guide and beat her first try with a similar composition.
    lol peace of cake indeed xD

(btw never tried Xie jing b4)

19. Frank_man

Frank_man Darkwalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya, Nyami
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    OP you actually got very lucky during your run. You didn't hit any of the hard RNG hurdles that a lot of people face like getting AoE'd 2-4x in one turn past her 20% marker and just getting obliterated. Good for you on beating it, but you're making it out to be so simple when really you also got very lucky with RNG lol.

Pikazard likes this.
  20. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Cherubium

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Meta-Stuff
    Level:
    21x
    Raid Class:
    RC 6